New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Dec 1, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #1,112 of 1,965
Is someone of you going out with the t5p out on the street?

I bought the T5p with the intention of using it as a portable headphone for public transport as well as home listening in the first place. It has become a great headphone for listening at home and whenever I don't want to disturb anyone else. Here's why:

I tried it outdoors on two days in the bus, train and subway in Hamburg, Germany.
To be honest, I thought the clamping force is too little for moving with it on the outside and isolation is just not enough. As too much outside noise enters, bass drowns out, mids become a little hollow and the large soundstage feels weird without the balance of these elements.
In my opinion headphones with a more intimate sound soundstage, better isolation or a bit bolder or v shaped sound signature work better outdoors. I guess the DT1770 could work much better in this scenario as it is a little more v shaped and has a stronger clamping force and isolation.
Last but not least they are a little on the large size, so a slightly dorky look is what you get.
The T5p does however work on quieter longer distance train rides quite well.
As always, your experience might be different.

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #1,114 of 1,965
I bought the T5p with the intention of using it as a portable headphone for public transport as well as home listening in the first place. It has become a great headphone for listening at home and whenever I don't want to disturb anyone else. Here's why:

I tried it outdoors on two days in the bus, train and subway in Hamburg, Germany.
To be honest, I thought the clamping force is too little for moving with it on the outside and isolation is just not enough. As too much outside noise enters, bass drowns out, mids become a little hollow and the large soundstage feels weird without the balance of these elements.
In my opinion headphones with a more intimate sound soundstage, better isolation or a bit bolder or v shaped sound signature work better outdoors. I guess the DT1770 could work much better in this scenario as it is a little more v shaped and has a stronger clamping force and isolation.
Last but not least they are a little on the large size, so a slightly dorky look is what you get.
The T5p does however work on quieter longer distance train rides quite well.
As always, your experience might be different.
I wanted to use them in Berlin public transport every day, like s bahn and tram. I tried them on in a shop and the isolation was good. But if you say that it is not useable outside, than its nothing for me.

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #1,115 of 1,965
Just visit Hifi im Hinterhof.
The 1 gen is a little bit loose but i like the pressure of the 2 gen and could jump around in the tram.
I had the DT1770 too. Much more pressure and great sound but it was too hard for me to adjust the sound in my brain as i had choosen between the T5p and he DT1770.

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #1,119 of 1,965
I wanted to use them in Berlin public transport every day, like s bahn and tram. I tried them on in a shop and the isolation was good. But if you say that it is not useable outside, than its nothing for me.
I have been searching for at least a year for good isolating headphones to use in loud libraries and block out the awful droning of the bus during my 2 hr commute. After hearing the sound of the T5p, I am quite happy to say that these isolate well enough.(and that my search is now over)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #1,121 of 1,965
The T5p2 sounded much better than the Aeon! This is because the only store in germany I could find close to Berlin where I could listen to the Aeon was Hannover (population: Berlin 3,5 mio, Hannover 520 tsd.) So I visited my parents in Hannover and listened the Aeon. They sounded horrible compared to my Momentum1. Back in Berlin I listened the T5p only shortly, having my baby in a sling on me. It sounded much better than the Aeon. So I decided to buy it and listen to it at home in detail. But fortunately the didn't had it in stock. I thought myself, why is everyone praising the Aeon and giving awards to it. The answer is, the need a 100h burn in. And why do I say fortunately? You can read it in that post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aeo...netic-headphone.833820/page-249#post-13906226
But the T5p sound also very good.

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #1,123 of 1,965

Nice, i want the 2;5 balanced cable for my T5P 2nd Gen, unfortunately i couldn't find it anywere for order to France, only in Germany or Scandinavia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back