New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Nov 9, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #1,096 of 1,956
I compared the Audeze Deckard to my DFR and surprisingly the DFR has outcompeted the Deckard
How was the DFR better than the Deckard? The Deckard is pretty highly regarded, so I would have expected it to out perform the DFR. Having said that, I used to have the Matrix HPA-3U which is the Deckard's twin, and it was good with everything except the T5p.2s as they were too sensitive and used to buzz a little.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #1,097 of 1,956
But if you're looking for a step up the iFi iDSD Black Label is a definite improvement in sound quality.
I notice that you've got the Mojo as well, so could you say how it compares to the iDSD BL? I used to like the Mojo with the T5p.2s, and it was also a step up from the DFR. I did find that there was 'something' missing in the midrange though (same thing with the T1.2), which I put down to the headphones rather than the Mojo.

Nov 9, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #1,098 of 1,956
I notice that you've got the Mojo as well, so could you say how it compares to the iDSD BL? I used to like the Mojo with the T5p.2s, and it was also a step up from the DFR. I did find that there was 'something' missing in the midrange though (same thing with the T1.2), which I put down to the headphones rather than the Mojo.
I prefer the iDSD BL with the T5P's because it just sounds more tonally balanced to my ears. The T5P's are so resolving and have tremendous treble clarity. But this is exactly how I would describe the Mojo's sound. So it's really to much of a good thing IMO. The iDSD BL on the other hand handles treble differently. The treble on the iDSD BL is not as forward but it's still just as detailed and clear. They both handle the T5P's bass very well. The iDSD BL has a little more midrange presence than the Mojo. I can't put my finger on it but iDSD BL is definitely doing something different in the midrange frequencies that the Mojo isn't. The iDSD BL also has a couple of beneficial features: the XBass+ and 3D+. The 3D+ adds an open/airy feeling to closed headphones and the XBass+ adds bass to bass-lite headphones. Both I feel are well done and not artificial sounding. I personally like the iDSD BL more as it fairs well with more of the headphones I own. The Mojo I use more so as a DAC for my iFi Pro series stack.

Nov 10, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #1,099 of 1,956
I prefer the iDSD BL with the T5P's because it just sounds more tonally balanced to my ears. The T5P's are so resolving and have tremendous treble clarity. But this is exactly how I would describe the Mojo's sound. So it's really to much of a good thing IMO. The iDSD BL on the other hand handles treble differently. The treble on the iDSD BL is not as forward but it's still just as detailed and clear. They both handle the T5P's bass very well. The iDSD BL has a little more midrange presence than the Mojo. I can't put my finger on it but iDSD BL is definitely doing something different in the midrange frequencies that the Mojo isn't. The iDSD BL also has a couple of beneficial features: the XBass+ and 3D+. The 3D+ adds an open/airy feeling to closed headphones and the XBass+ adds bass to bass-lite headphones. Both I feel are well done and not artificial sounding. I personally like the iDSD BL more as it fairs well with more of the headphones I own. The Mojo I use more so as a DAC for my iFi Pro series stack.
Damn it, you just put that at the top of my "to get" list.
Disregarding the great portability factor, how does the iDSD compare to desktop amp/dacs in that price range? (Anyone can answer)

Nov 10, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #1,100 of 1,956
Damn it, you just put that at the top of my "to get" list.
Disregarding the great portability factor, how does the iDSD compare to desktop amp/dacs in that price range? (Anyone can answer)
The iDSD BL and Mojo are really great amp/DAC solutions. I think they would compete very well with desktop amp/dacs in the same price range. When you take into account that both can be had at street prices in the $300 - $400 dollar price range they both become steals. Then it just comes down features and how either amp sounds with the headphones you own. For that you will need to listen for yourself and let your ears be the judge. The T5P V2's are easy to drive and sound phenomenal when driven by the right amp. For me, that sound comes when I have the T5P's plugged into the iDSD BL, YMMV.

Nov 10, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #1,101 of 1,956
How was the DFR better than the Deckard? The Deckard is pretty highly regarded, so I would have expected it to out perform the DFR. Having said that, I used to have the Matrix HPA-3U which is the Deckard's twin, and it was good with everything except the T5p.2s as they were too sensitive and used to buzz a little.
It took me few days of A/B comparison to decide the DFR is slightly more punchy and dynamic, yet a tad warmer than the Deckard. This said, these differences are minor.

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #1,103 of 1,956
The iDSD BL and Mojo are really great amp/DAC solutions. I think they would compete very well with desktop amp/dacs in the same price range. When you take into account that both can be had at street prices in the $300 - $400 dollar price range they both become steals. Then it just comes down features and how either amp sounds with the headphones you own. For that you will need to listen for yourself and let your ears be the judge. The T5P V2's are easy to drive and sound phenomenal when driven by the right amp. For me, that sound comes when I have the T5P's plugged into the iDSD BL, YMMV.
That sounds great. Thanks.

Do you or anyone else have a favorite desktop setup to pair with the T5p's? What are your impressions?

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,105 of 1,956
Seeing as these are made to be used with a mobile phone, is there a replacement cable where one can use a microphone?
I have never seen one. The reason may be that they were not made to be used with a mobile phone, they are sensitive enough to be used with the mobile phone but it would be similar to buying Ferrari Testarossa to drive kids to school.
They need some power to show the full potential.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #1,107 of 1,956
I have never seen one. The reason may be that they were not made to be used with a mobile phone, they are sensitive enough to be used with the mobile phone but it would be similar to buying Ferrari Testarossa to drive kids to school.
They need some power to show the full potential.
Without a doubt. At home I have My Fiio E18 that I use for it, however out and about, I still want to use them, but while being able to talk on my phone.

I have contacted a custom cable company, to see if they can create one.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #1,108 of 1,956
I was going to suggest the Fiio BTR1, with the supplied cable or a shorter custom cable, the BTR1 will give call capability using its built in microphone.

I didn't even know a product like this existed. Thank you, I shall research into it. Naturally it is a DAC, however does it Amp headphones too? and would it have enough power to be adequate, IE more power than a mobile phones internal Amp.

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #1,109 of 1,956
I didn't even know a product like this existed. Thank you, I shall research into it. Naturally it is a DAC, however does it Amp headphones too? and would it have enough power to be adequate, IE more power than a mobile phones internal Amp.

That would depend on your phones inbuilt amp, the Fiio has a voltage output of 2v peak to peak and a current output quoted at >22ma the specs also quote an output power of >15mW into a 32 ohm load, the T5p is 32 ohms.

Factoring in the sensitivity of the T5p at 102dB, The pairing will output over 100 dB, so yes very loud indeed.

I don't have any experience of the Fiio BRT1 myself, but there is a thread on headfi about it, perhaps you can get better advice over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back