New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Sep 7, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #1,082 of 1,956
Cool that you have a DT 1990 Pro. But, if one's goal is to have the "T 1 sound on a budget", I would rather go for the Amiron. DT 1990 Pro is a professional headphone, with tight fit, super durable materials, single-sided cable, no balanced option and a very up-front, detailed sound - for some too much. The Amiron is easier for listening and wearing comfort is absolutely higher. Also, you have access to the aforementioned choice of cables on the Amiron home. Please read our FAQs, too.
Thanks for the link @hanselmann. I like the forward sound of the DT-1990's more than a laid back sound signature. I parted ways with my HD650's for that reason when I got the DT-1990's. I'm using the balanced pads and I'm enjoying them very much with all genres of music.

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #1,084 of 1,956
Finally received my T5P 2nd gen's. What a great headphone!

T5P.jpg

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #1,086 of 1,956
Which as bigger soundstage/more accurate imaging. T5p or DT1990?

Definitely T5p as it has angled drivers. Imaging of the T5p can be further improved by using the DT1770 velour pads, making it "almost" sounding like a T1 if you listen at not too loud volume.

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #1,088 of 1,956
Thanks for the reply and recommendation! And which headphone has the wider soundstage?

DT1990's soundstage will be wider as it is an open headphones, especially when listening at louder volume. T5p's soundstage will be deeper, with better "layering", especially at lower volume and if you have a good DAC/DDC

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #1,091 of 1,956
Yes that is the problem :grinning:. Don't try them you will 100 % like them.

I had the t5p before and I liked them but the Z1R is 2 leagues above! Impossible to go back.

stenog did earlier in this thread. For me at the price and for performance I really like my T5p Gen 2. Would I swap it for the Z1R? Yes absolutely. :)

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,092 of 1,956
stenog did earlier in this thread. For me at the price and for performance I really like my T5p Gen 2. Would I swap it for the Z1R? Yes absolutely. :)

Ooh that's a very old post :).

I still have my Z1R and still love it, but I am not sure I would rate the Z1R 2 leagues above the T5p Gen 2 today. And not to mention a lot cheaper. I haven't heard the T5p in a long time, but I do remember it as a very good headphone and often regret letting it go. Time changes the mind for the better or worse... :)

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #1,093 of 1,956
Hi, I own t5p 2nd gen and I'm happy with it. Im using the dragonfly red and it sounds really nice, but im looking for an amp to achieve a significant improvement over the DFR, especially in terms of imaging, clarity, and a richer ( or a bit warmer) sound but still keep it very resolving . I compared the Audeze Deckard to my DFR and surprisingly the DFR has outcompeted the Deckard. I tried Vali 2 with Philips ECC88 tube but almost couldn't tell the difference to the DFR. I am considering between schiit Mjolnir 1 or 2 (i can get the first version for a lower price), lyr2, jotunheim , Gustard h10 (with burson v5/v6 opamp) or cayin iha 6 which is a bit more expensive. I know the Cayin and jotunheim are more on the analytical side. I live in a small town in the Netherlands and unfortunately do not have an opportunity now to listen to these amps.

If someone has any experience/recommendation to one of the amps above matching with t5p.2 it would be very nice to hear about.

cheers!

Nov 9, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #1,094 of 1,956
Hi ammppp10, I can't speak for the amps you mention but when I do use an amp with my T5p gen 2 (not too often as its very easy to drive from the other sources I have) it's the SMSL T1. The T1 doesn't get much of a mention on here but IMHO its very good with the Beyers. In casual listening tests it holds its own against my Hugo 2.

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,095 of 1,956
Hi, I own t5p 2nd gen and I'm happy with it. Im using the dragonfly red and it sounds really nice, but im looking for an amp to achieve a significant improvement over the DFR, especially in terms of imaging, clarity, and a richer ( or a bit warmer) sound but still keep it very resolving . I compared the Audeze Deckard to my DFR and surprisingly the DFR has outcompeted the Deckard. I tried Vali 2 with Philips ECC88 tube but almost couldn't tell the difference to the DFR. I am considering between schiit Mjolnir 1 or 2 (i can get the first version for a lower price), lyr2, jotunheim , Gustard h10 (with burson v5/v6 opamp) or cayin iha 6 which is a bit more expensive. I know the Cayin and jotunheim are more on the analytical side. I live in a small town in the Netherlands and unfortunately do not have an opportunity now to listen to these amps.

If someone has any experience/recommendation to one of the amps above matching with t5p.2 it would be very nice to hear about.

cheers!
I have the DFR and it's works very well with the T5P 2nd gen's. But if you're looking for a step up the iFi iDSD Black Label is a definite improvement in sound quality. I'm comparing the two amps right now with my T5P's and it's not a question as to which one is better to my ears. The bass is better controlled, defined and has more body, the mids come to life with the iDSD BL. The mids on the T5P with the DFR are lacking by comparison and the difference is immediately heard with switching back and forth. The treble clarity is maintained but just sounds better with the iDSD BL. As a bonus, the 3D+ feature on the iDSD BL really adds a sense of space and openness to the T5P's. Overall the sound is just more coherent and dynamic with the iDSD BL than with the DFR. You should give the T5P's a listen with the iDSD BL if you can to make a final decision. The one thing the DFR has over the iDSD BL is that it's more portable but that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back