New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Jan 27, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #1,127 of 1,956
Got a pair yesterday. They are going to replace my T90s. I like the sound and the versatility. I would prefer velour pads though. Can you recommend a couple of good pads? In the thread for the original T5p someone mentioned he liked the dt1770 velour pads best.

I am also looking for a decent, affordable DAC/Amp. I already own an O2.

Things I am considering:

- Cheap ES9023 + TI 6130 USB-Card
- putting ODAC in my O2
- Beyerdanamic A2 Chinese fake
- U9 ES9028Q2M XMOS XU208 USB Headphone Amplifier
- Dragonfly Red
- Soundblaster G5

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #1,130 of 1,956
Got a pair yesterday. They are going to replace my T90s. I like the sound and the versatility. I would prefer velour pads though. Can you recommend a couple of good pads? In the thread for the original T5p someone mentioned he liked the dt1770 velour pads best.

I am also looking for a decent, affordable DAC/Amp. I already own an O2.

Things I am considering:

- Cheap ES9023 + TI 6130 USB-Card
- putting ODAC in my O2
- Beyerdanamic A2 Chinese fake
- U9 ES9028Q2M XMOS XU208 USB Headphone Amplifier
- Dragonfly Red
- Soundblaster G5

A bit late in answering, but if you have the O2, get the OL DAC instead of the ODAC, it stacks very neatly if you have rear inputs on the O2 amp :D

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #1,131 of 1,956
Thanks but I already went for a Sound Blaster X7. OL DAC ist not available in Europe.

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,134 of 1,956
T5p 2nd is A LOT warmer and not fatiguing at all. I made the switch from T90 to T5P.2 and not regretting it. If you don't pair it with a too analytical dac/amp you will be fine. Beyerdynamic has gone for an overall smoother approach with their latest offerings. It is still not a warm headphone if that's what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #1,135 of 1,956
Later iteration (e.g. Chrome) of T90 also does not sound bright.

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,137 of 1,956
On the 21st of February I'm gonna buy either the beyerdynamic t5p second generation or the amiron home,which is better ?Oh forgot to say I'll only be listening at home going through the Hugo 2 which can drive headphones up to 800 ohms,I just want the best headphone for sound quality not convenience,with a budget of 450 pounds,nighthawk an option

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #1,138 of 1,956
On the 21st of February I'm gonna buy either the beyerdynamic t5p second generation or the amiron home,which is better ?Oh forgot to say I'll only be listening at home going through the Hugo 2 which can drive headphones up to 800 ohms,I just want the best headphone for sound quality not convenience,with a budget of 450 pounds,nighthawk an option

I have had both the amiron home and T5P; from my perspective and memory the amiron is more comfortable (by a small margin); laid back but also less resolving. the T5P is the better of the two. The amiron home is built for a different goal though and that is comfort at home (read open back). The T5P is targetted at portable usage. The hugo can drive both without breaking a sweat.

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #1,139 of 1,956
I have had both the amiron home and T5P; from my perspective and memory the amiron is more comfortable (by a small margin); laid back but also less resolving. the T5P is the better of the two. The amiron home is built for a different goal though and that is comfort at home (read open back). The T5P is targetted at portable usage. The hugo can drive both without breaking a sweat.
Thank you for the reply it means a lot,I'll get the beyerdynamic t5p if it's better thanks

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #1,140 of 1,956
I'm a new owner. I also have the T1 1st gen and was hoping for an equivalent closed back. Only about 3-4 hours in, but so far, I'm pleased.

The T5P are very detailed, maybe not quite so much as the T1. However, the T5P are never harsh, whereas the T1 can be at times. The T5P high end does not sound rolled off to me though. Still plenty of attack and shine, just no harshness.

Mids seem to be neutral and equivalent to the T1.

I like the bass a lot: Better than the T1 bass. The T5P seem to have a slight mid bass boost. It makes the bass kind of punchy. I used to have the HiFiman 400 and sold it. I've missed the mid bass boost and I've thought about re-acquiring them. The T5P's have put that to rest. I also own the Fostex TH600's. The T5P don't have that kind of bass quantity but the 600's also lose some detail with the overemphasized bass.

The T1's seem to have an edge on sound stage, which you'd expect from an open headphone. T5P is still very good for a closed headphone. Imaging is one of my favorite features of the T1. I'm thinking the T5P isn't quite as good but I need to put more time in to tell for sure.
Why can't beyerdynamic do both? They been going long enough,give us deep powerful fast bass,it ain't rocket science,couldn't careless about the highs if we don't have ear rumbling quality bass

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back