New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Feb 21, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #1,156 of 1,956
Anything when compared to the TH900 will sound less dynamic to me. The TH900's are incredible at what they do for a semi-closed/closed headphone. That's why when I let my friends listen to my headphones I save them for last. The T5P's do begin to open up and settle down around the 50 hour mark. You just need to let them play and come back to them and you'll notice the changes more. Give your ears time to adjust to their sound as well. Swapping back and forth with the TH900's doesn't help, lol. To me they are another portable option as I'm just to afraid to take my TH900 MKII's out the house from fear of damaging the cups. The T5p's are much more durable in that regard. Lastly, the T5p's to my ears have a nice balanced, detailed sound with a little bass boost that works with any source. I enjoy them very much with my Dragonfly Red.

Thanks for the explanation, I should stop A/B ing haha :)

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #1,158 of 1,956
I have been trying to convince myself (for some time now) that I don't need to upgrade from my DT150's. I have read through a bunch of threads and one of them brought me to this one. So my question is, would the T5p2 be a significant upgrade from my DT150's? I can get these for £400, so they are just affordable for me.

I will mostly be playing these though my Audiolab M-DAC headphone output. My portable rigs mostly serve my earbud collection.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #1,159 of 1,956
This is about: Beyerdynamic Balanced Cable for T5p2s

Hello,
since I first heard T5p I became adicted to them, so I had to get a pair ... and now I will have to change my name here since this is now the No. 1 in my headphone collection. Maybe it was not so clever to choose a headphone name .. :).

Back to what I wanted to report:

I listen via FiiO X7 with AM3 so I was interested in comparing the original cable against the balanced version.
Today I got them and was quite surprised about the results.

Original cable:
- Great, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them, but a tiny bit boomy bass IMO on some music (listening to Ella Fitzgerald Gershwin Songbook while I write)

Balanced cable (offered as orginal Beyerdynamic spare part for 99,- here in Germany. 1.4m)
Even better:
- little bit better separation (which is expected)
- the bass is suddenly way more controlled. Not less bass, just more controlled!

This might be an X7/AM3 only effect, but I doubt it. AM3 has parallel output for normal and balanced so comparing is pretty easy.
I thought I let you know, because I think it is worth the extra price for everybody with balanced output. Especially since I read here that people start exchanging the pads to improve the sound quality.
Anybody who shares my experience?

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #1,160 of 1,956
I am still wondering wether I should return them and go for the T1 2nd instead. Sound is great and intimate, but my ears tend to get really hot under them - and its winter with 17°C/63F room temperature. Turns out I will only be using them at home anyway. I am also interested in a comparison with the Xelento Remote. Not a 100% fair since they are IEMs, but that makes them more portable in the long run.

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,161 of 1,956
I am still wondering wether I should return them and go for the T1 2nd instead. Sound is great and intimate, but my ears tend to get really hot under them - and its winter with 17°C/63F room temperature. Turns out I will only be using them at home anyway. I am also interested in a comparison with the Xelento Remote. Not a 100% fair since they are IEMs, but that makes them more portable in the long run.

I am experiencing the same issue with T5p mk2, I brought it to my office and it gets really warm/hot for 15 mins listening. :frowning2:
I am glad that you like the sound because T5p mk2 doesn't impress me at all (maybe just me),

Is there any better closed headphones than T5P ? (other than TH900 or HD820), I am not into open headphones.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #1,162 of 1,956
Just buy the DT1770 velour pads (made with coolmax fabric) from amazon.uk for your T5p and the heat build up issue will be solved.

No other closed back headphones will be "cooler" than the T5p as long as leather/pleather pads are used.

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #1,163 of 1,956
Just buy the DT1770 velour pads (made with coolmax fabric) from amazon.uk for your T5p and the heat build up issue will be solved.

No other closed back headphones will be "cooler" than the T5p as long as leather/pleather pads are used.

Ah ! let me try that before returning ! thank you very much !

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #1,164 of 1,956

I am aware that this is an issue that all closed headphones have. I just did not know that it would bother me so much. I already tried the DT1770 velour pads. They help a bit but also change the sound singature in a serious way. Instead of a T5p with velour pads it wasn't designed for one could just get a T1.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #1,165 of 1,956
I am aware that this is an issue that all closed headphones have. I just did not know that it would bother me so much. I already tried the DT1770 velour pads. They help a bit but also change the sound singature in a serious way. Instead of a T5p with velour pads it wasn't designed for one could just get a T1.

Oh really ? how much changes in the Sound Sig ? pretty bad way ? I have T70/T90, I will try the pads on T5p2 and see how much it changes.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #1,166 of 1,956

Did you try TH900 ? or Denons ? the earcups are bit larger than Beyerdynamic and doesn't have much headband pressure.
It doesn't isolate like Ultra Ed8 or Beyers, that's why I like Fostex/Denon headphones, they are bit loose, allowing air to go in and out.

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #1,167 of 1,956
that and if you like the V shape response :) I like the TH900 mk2 and own them. They're fun and very comfortable although they also leak sound more. But I find the T5p II sound signature a lot more balanced and accurate.

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #1,168 of 1,956
that and if you like the V shape response :) I like the TH900 mk2 and own them. They're fun and very comfortable although they also leak sound more. But I find the T5p II sound signature a lot more balanced and accurate.

Maybe I got the lemon, I just ordered another T5p2, will compare both.

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,169 of 1,956
IMG_3284.JPG
I would like to emphasis the update to the Beyerdynamic balanced cables with 2,5mm jack. The sound improvement is like putting the T5p2 to another level. I made extensive tests today with my other pair in the office. Of course I also tried switching the cables to see if one of the T5p2s has a problem.
But the result is beyond doubt: Balanced is way better. I cannot listen with the stock cable any more and immediately ordered another balanced cable.
Highly recommended.
Anybody else who did the comparision?

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,170 of 1,956
I am going to recieve a Xelento Remote tomorrow. I am excited how they compare to the T5p2.

Oh really ? how much changes in the Sound Sig ? pretty bad way ? I have T70/T90, I will try the pads on T5p2 and see how much it changes.
Less bass impact, elevated treble, wider soundstage but lesser speparation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back