AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 9, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #3,721 of 5,483
I agree with Schwibbles.
Why don’t you try with the iFi iCan SE?
Plenty of current and also the possibility to extend some low frequencies response.
I found it very useful for those albums recorded in the ‘60s and ‘70s where the low frequencies were not prominent.
Plus the “tubey” sound signature of the iCan may fit your taste.
I don’t know, but if I were on you I would definitely make a test.

The Aeon Closed was quite fun with the x-bass on the iCan SE. However, you could only push the volume to low or moderate levels or the bass would distort.

Without the bass boost they were very neutral out of that amp, bordering on bass-lite. You do get hints of sub-bass and some satisfyingly unsettling reverb at times, but its quite subtle.

I don't intend to steer off-topic, but The Aeon Open is far better in the bass than the closed in every way, fwiw.

Of course you do lose about 50% of the isolation factor, but its worth a mention.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #3,722 of 5,483
The Aeon Closed was quite fun with the x-bass on the iCan SE. However, you could only push the volume to low or moderate levels or the bass would distort.

Without the bass boost they were very neutral out of that amp, bordering on bass-lite. You do get hints of sub-bass and some satisfyingly unsettling reverb at times, but its quite subtle.

I don't intend to steer off-topic, but The Aeon Open is far better in the bass than the closed in every way, fwiw.

Of course you do lose about 50% of the isolation factor, but its worth a mention.
I disagree on which is better... I love the Aeon Closed. I like it a lot more than the open which I am debating selling.
But I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I prefer the more even treble - lower treble is a bit too recessed on the open - and extra presence in the upper midrange of the Aeon Closed. Sub bass has better extension and more presence on the closed as well.

It does sound a little bass light with some amps. I really like the micro iDSD BL and Project Ember 2 because they have enough power to really give the low end the power it needs.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #3,723 of 5,483
Can you use the Aeon outside when its raining ?

If someone is interested here is the official answer:

Maybe from car to house, but I wouldn’t go for long walks in the rain with no hood or umbrella. Of course if they’re mostly sheltered… You certainly wouldn’t want them dripping wet. It’s definitely not waterproof nor warranted for climate exposure. It’s unlikely to “die” from it, but water may damage the magnets over time and the headband might get water spotted.

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #3,724 of 5,483
After 50 hours of burn in, can't stop listening music. Using a sony zx300 and FiiO A5. Bachs organ works sound so amazing! Got rid of the foam pads and used the equalizer to get more bass. This blows my mind away. I didn't know that such deep tones exist. The bass organ pipes sound so dark, deep and clear. Sometimes Bach uses the bass pedal continually with treble pipes together to create tension. There is so much space between bass and treble, which is filled by 6000 pipes. Played by Marie-Claire Alain. I could never imagine to hear such sound from a 1978 record.

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #3,726 of 5,483
So I am taking my New Aeon's Closed on a trip and need a nice Travel amp that fits for my laptop and phone.

Anyone pair the Red Dragon with this? or are there other better options that are small?

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #3,727 of 5,483
The Nfb 15.32 basically sounds like a jotunheim w/ the aeons but warmer,
Or an Aune X1s but slightly warmer w/ ALOT more power.

I get to 12 o'clock on these and never pushed further, and my listening levels are loud.

So there's that for you guys to consider

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #3,728 of 5,483
So I am taking my New Aeon's Closed on a trip and need a nice Travel amp that fits for my laptop and phone.

Anyone pair the Red Dragon with this? or are there other better options that are small?
Tbh I tried looking for small options, it just doesn't seem to make the cut.
Only portables will be small and powerful enough since I've tried alot of small desktop ones..

Ifi, Chord, Oppo Ha2
Go for those

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #3,730 of 5,483
So I think I asked this before. I use an Audeze Deckard as my AMP/DAC. Would the IFI IDSD BL be just as good as the Deckard so I could use for both at home and for travel?
I haven’t tried the Deckard but I think the iDSD micro BL is a great amp.

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #3,734 of 5,483
If anyone comes across an ifi bl that's not inflated to the 550$ price tag it's got right now, let em know I'll buy? :)
Check eBay (sold from time to time new & sealed for less) or Adorama.com. Adorama has had sales for it (always at 380$) about 4-5 times this year. Buydig has had deals on it as well. Hopefully one will pop up.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #3,735 of 5,483
If anyone comes across an ifi bl that's not inflated to the 550$ price tag it's got right now, let em know I'll buy? :) Would be awesome.
This one might still be available. I do not know the person selling nor am I trying to help them sell. It's just one that I noticed isn't marked as sold. You can use Devbrada to quickly search the Head-Fi classifieds. It seems like one pops up every other week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back