AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 15, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #3,751 of 5,483
I have both EL8 Platinum (last version with new pads) and AEON. Maybe the EL8 gives you more wow factor when start to listen, but after a while it sounds too bright IMO, I always equalize them down in the 7-8khz area.

AEON on the other hand its much more balanced, and you can always equalize it to sound more "fun", little more bass or more spark if you want.

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #3,752 of 5,483
I have both EL8 Platinum (last version with new pads) and AEON. Maybe the EL8 gives you more wow factor when start to listen, but after a while it sounds too bright IMO, I always equalize them down in the 7-8khz area.

AEON on the other hand its much more balanced, and you can always equalize it to sound more "fun", little more bass or more spark if you want.

I have the original EL-8's Closed. Didn't know they made an update but I would bet the difference is even larger.

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #3,753 of 5,483
I have the EL8c and Aeon closed. The Aeon is more balanced with better clarity. The Audeze has more bass with a little harder punch. The bass on the Aeon is more accurate in my opinion. It also responds well to EQ if you want more bass. I mostly use my Audeze with cipher cable for convenience. I would definitely go with the Aeon as a stay at home headphone. It is light and portable but really needs some extra amplification to sound its best.

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #3,755 of 5,483

Did you meant he EL-8 titanium ? Because I checks the website there is no mention of a Platinum version

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #3,756 of 5,483
If you had to say, in your opinion, percentage wise, how much better are the Aeon vs the EL-8C? Like 5, 10% etc
Why I'm asking is I can get a set of EL-8 for around 300$ form a friend or essential get an Aeon full price, so I'm trying to measure what is the better headphone for the price.

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #3,758 of 5,483
Did you meant he EL-8 titanium ? Because I checks the website there is no mention of a Platinum version

Sorry, meant Titanium :L3000:

I paid full price for the EL8 back in the day, like $700-$800, so from that point of view $300 is a great value.

But in this hobby is not direct relation between % better and $. Just different signatures and uses, if you plan to use mobile with the Cypher cable then EL8 is very good and better than the AEONs. I believe Audeze optimize the DAC inside the cable to make it sound fuller and with bigger soundstage.

On the other hand, if you plan to use at home, the AEON will need power to sound full and with authority IMO. Of course you can plug into the iPhone, or any other device, and is not about volume level, it just sound thin to my ears. But if you add some proper amp into the chain, my favorite is the Continental Dual Mono, it will outperform the EL8 by far in clarity and dynamics. But in this case you will need to spend more money adding an amp.

Decisions decisions :o2smile:

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #3,759 of 5,483
For $300 the EL8 is a value killer. I have both and prefer the Aeon. But at $300 I think I would jump on it. All depends on how tight $$ is. The Aeon does need some extra amplification to sound really good.

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #3,760 of 5,483
For $300 the EL8 is a value killer. I have both and prefer the Aeon. But at $300 I think I would jump on it. All depends on how tight $$ is. The Aeon does need some extra amplification to sound really good.
How close are they to each other? Are they different enough or are the differences very subtle?

Also, I have a questyle cma600i so I have power to drive them

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #3,761 of 5,483
I think they are different enough to have both. The audeze is great for EDM and modern pop. The Aeon for rock or other genres.

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #3,764 of 5,483
Same. My solution may be to return it. I really need the low end, especially from an $800 headphone. They sound pretty good otherwise. I was really hoping these would work out. I've been listening to them with a Fiio X5 gen 3 with and without a Fiio A5 amp. I tried with my Darkvoice 336SE and there was no synergy at all. Maybe the Cayin i5 as PinkyPowers mentions. I actually been thinking of a solid state combo DAC/Amp, but would rather spend the $500 on a Jot....maybe.

I don't know what to try next. Maybe back to 770 80 ohm for closed, or try some IEM's.

Back to my trusty HD600's which sound fantastic with the Darkvoice and have tons of bass.

So I'm quoting my own post to say I did, in fact, buy the micro iDSD BL and it fixed everything I felt I was missing from the AFO. I do want to try the TH-X00 later, but for now, I think these are working out okay. Not as portable as I hoped, but they don't sound horrible with just the X5 iii. Bass is nice now though with the amp. Even low volume has the presence of the low end I was after. I'm actually quite happy I stuck with them. They are so comfortable. I've even been listening from my PC>micro iDSD BL without an EQ and they sound great. Even my HD600s and HD6xxs have a new sound with an SS amp. All good. :beyersmile:

Dec 18, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #3,765 of 5,483
Sorry, meant Titanium :L3000:

I paid full price for the EL8 back in the day, like $700-$800, so from that point of view $300 is a great value.

But in this hobby is not direct relation between % better and $. Just different signatures and uses, if you plan to use mobile with the Cypher cable then EL8 is very good and better than the AEONs. I believe Audeze optimize the DAC inside the cable to make it sound fuller and with bigger soundstage.

On the other hand, if you plan to use at home, the AEON will need power to sound full and with authority IMO. Of course you can plug into the iPhone, or any other device, and is not about volume level, it just sound thin to my ears. But if you add some proper amp into the chain, my favorite is the Continental Dual Mono, it will outperform the EL8 by far in clarity and dynamics. But in this case you will need to spend more money adding an amp.

Decisions decisions :o2smile:
Yeah, i know when it comes to sound its more of a different sound than a better sound and it depends on what you are looking for so asking if it's better for the money is probably a useless question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back