AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 18, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #3,766 of 5,483
I'm a huge fan of the Audeze tonality, but I'm not a fan of Audeze comfort and how they are as a company, so I've been trying to find that kind of signature in a relatively comfortable closed back headphone for work. I'm a huge fan of the LCD-2 and LCD-X. Does the Aeon share a similar sound to either of these two headphones? I've been reading reviews and they seem to conflict a lot. I'm looking for the thick but fast and rich/natural tonality I hear from Audeze.

I'm looking into the 2c as well, but I can't use them at work and don't feel too happy supporting Audeze. Any help from those with the Aeon and an LCD headphone would be really appreciated! :D

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #3,767 of 5,483
The Aeon does not have a "thick" sound. Much more neutral than the LCD. IMHO of course.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #3,768 of 5,483
Aeon is a really nice balanced sounding closed can. More neutral than Audeze LCD-2,3. Doesn't have the bass extension of the Audeze. I personally really like the Audeze house sound. I own the EL8c, LCD-2,3,4. As well a iSine10. And the Aeon are my closed headphone of choice. I use them 3-4 hours a day at work. Powered by a iFi iDsd black label. The Aeon really benefit from a little amplification.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #3,769 of 5,483
And using them with the iFi DSD Black will make anyone that likes the LCD sound very happy. It is on my Christmas list..LOL. I want one really bad!

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #3,770 of 5,483
Aeon is a really nice balanced sounding closed can. More neutral than Audeze LCD-2,3. Doesn't have the bass extension of the Audeze. I personally really like the Audeze house sound. I own the EL8c, LCD-2,3,4. As well a iSine10. And the Aeon are my closed headphone of choice. I use them 3-4 hours a day at work. Powered by a iFi iDsd black label. The Aeon really benefit from a little amplification.
Have you listened to the LCD-X? Cause that's what I have and I'm curious how do the 2 and 3 measure up against it? Is it noticeably different or are the differences minute? From what I understand the bass is a bit boosted and the highs are a bit calmer but how true is that?

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #3,771 of 5,483
I have only listened to the X very briefly. But from what others have expressed the X is more neutral. The 2,3 are darker sounding. I am sensitive to hot treble, so I prefer the 2,3. The LCD-4 is very neutral with incredible detail. Still the Audeze house sound for sure. While the Aeon is not in the same class as the 4, it is similar in that it is neutral with good detail retrieval and good sound stage for a closed headphone. I would say the Aeon is closer to the X sound than LCD-2,3.

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #3,772 of 5,483
I have only listened to the X very briefly. But from what others have expressed the X is more neutral. The 2,3 are darker sounding. I am sensitive to hot treble, so I prefer the 2,3. The LCD-4 is very neutral with incredible detail. Still the Audeze house sound for sure. While the Aeon is not in the same class as the 4, it is similar in that it is neutral with good detail retrieval and good sound stage for a closed headphone. I would say the Aeon is closer to the X sound than LCD-2,3.
And how would you compare the 2 vs 3?

Dec 19, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #3,775 of 5,483
I feel the LCD-3 is cleaner with less grain compared to the LCD-2. Better detail in the treble region and tighter, better defined bass. Also the sound stage seems more focused. Just does everything better. The jump from the 3 to 4 is even greater. Of course so is the price. The sweet spot is the 3 in the LCD lineup. You can pick up a nice used pair for 1100 to 1300. And I have never had an issue with warranty coverage even on second hand pair.

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #3,777 of 5,483
How would these compare to an hd 650 paired with a little dot mkiii? A worthy upgrade? Also would a magni 3 power them sufficiently?
I can't speak for the Little Dot, but I did just receive a pair of HD6xx's and though I'm thoroughly impressed by them, the Aeon's are better. By that I mean detail retrieval and bass extension are both noticeably better. I understand why everyone's described the HD650's as having silky smooth mids, as they're down right pleasant compared to the Aeon's. However the highs are a tad sharper on the Aeon's. Imaging (left/right separation at least) is also more pronounced with the Aeon's.

To my beginner ears, the Aeon's do have a flatter FR and a faster, punchier driver. However, when I put the HD650's on and tried my typical suite of test tracks, every single one sounded great and I wasn't immediately reaching for my Aeon's.

If you are down for a more detailed, analytical sound and need sound isolation, then the Aeon's would be a worthy upgrade. If money's tight, stick with the 650. At ~$350CAD the HD6xx is an absolute bargain and I'm glad to have 'em. This coming from someone who's completely satisfied with my Aeon purchase :)

Dec 21, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #3,778 of 5,483
Received my AFC's today and boy are they comfortable. Still making judgements but I can say one thing, the Micca Origen G2 isn't the best fit for them. The OpAmps in the OriGen don't handle the 15ohm load very well. High gain and im near max volume to play at what I would consider "loud". Not much headroom left for lowering the gain for EQ/DSP. The FiiO E10K I have actually powers them much better.

Also max volume on an LG v30 w/ QuadDac on is an acceptable if somewhat lacking volume. These certainly aren't the easiest cans to power, despite their low impedance. From what I've heard thus far though, its probably worth dealing with :smile_phones:

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #3,780 of 5,483
Hi everyone,

I've been using the AFC continuously for 3 months and enjoyed it a lot but today, I found out that the left side cable is already dead. The issue is at the jack connector, by playing a bit with it, the left channel sometimes come back.
I took much care of my AFC, never dropping it or doing weird stuff so i'm a bit sad that the cable lasted for only 3 months. Now i can't use them because of this issue...
Has anyone encountered this kind of issue with the AFC? Did you manage to fix it by yourself?
@mrspeakers Hi Dan, sorry for bothering you here but in that case, can i send you the cable to get a replacement? In the meantime, I wouldn't be able to listen to it but if it needs to be done there is no other choice.
Keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back