AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 29, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #3,796 of 5,483
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 29, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #3,797 of 5,483
Is anyone using the Cayin N5ii with the AFC? What gain setting and EQ settings are you using? I've been listening to a few different headphones lately and trying to dial in the Aeon again.

How about the Cayin iHA-6 amp? How's synergy?

It's a great solid state amp, it's on the "crisp and detailed" side but avoids being analytical. I have one as part of my tuning "stack."

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #3,798 of 5,483
AEON Closed just won ANOTHER award, this one from Germany. We're having a pretty good week I think!

http://headflux.de/headflux-awards-2017/

HeadFlux AEON C Award.png

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #3,799 of 5,483

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #3,800 of 5,483
It's a great solid state amp, it's on the "crisp and detailed" side but avoids being analytical. I have one as part of my tuning "stack."

Thank you. I might need a recommendation for a neutral solid state amp with balanced output. Also looking at the Questyle CMS400i. Same price range of under $1000. I read good and bad about the Jotunheim. I'll just search through here again.

On a side note. I made the mistake of not listening to the Aeon C for a week, then after driving a couple hundred miles from 400 feet above sea level to 4,000 feet and back down, and shooting 100 rounds of 20 GA without ear protection in the desert, then listened to the Aeon again after. Boy was I confused. All good again now though. Okay enough of my noise. :)

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #3,801 of 5,483
Thank you. I might need a recommendation for a neutral solid state amp with balanced output. Also looking at the Questyle CMS400i. Same price range of under $1000. I read good and bad about the Jotunheim. I'll just search through here again.

On a side note. I made the mistake of not listening to the Aeon C for a week, then after driving a couple hundred miles from 400 feet above sea level to 4,000 feet and back down, and shooting 100 rounds of 20 GA without ear protection in the desert, then listened to the Aeon again after. Boy was I confused. All good again now though. Okay enough of my noise. :)
We JUST got our Questyle CMA400i’s in today. I walked in and it was still frozen from being shipped. We are waiting for our demo unit to “thaw” before we plug it in (just to be safe).

Rest assured I will see how the pairing is with the Æon Flow Open and also Æon Flow Closed. I have been waiting a very long time to get the chance to do that. I think for the price of the 400i, it would make sense to marry it with the Æons. Now hearing it in action will be the final decision though!

Btw- keep your ears safe next time you fire any kind of weapon! You only got one set of ears :beerchug:

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #3,802 of 5,483
We JUST got our Questyle CMA400i’s in today. I walked in and it was still frozen from being shipped. We are waiting for our demo unit to “thaw” before we plug it in (just to be safe).

Rest assured I will see how the pairing is with the Æon Flow Open and also Æon Flow Closed. I have been waiting a very long time to get the chance to do that. I think for the price of the 400i, it would make sense to marry it with the Æons. Now hearing it in action will be the final decision though!

Btw- keep your ears safe next time you fire any kind of weapon! You only got one set of ears :beerchug:

Thank you Craig. I look forward to hearing about the CMA400i.

Yeah, I used to hunt with shotgun or .22 and never worried too much when outside just firing a round here and there, but I appreciate my hearing a lot lately. So much lovely music to hear and great audio gear to enjoy. I'll keep my ears safe next time. I think the up and down of altitude messes me up for a bit too.

Dec 29, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #3,803 of 5,483
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #3,804 of 5,483
Dec 30, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #3,807 of 5,483
Spent the day comparing the AFC to the AFO with the Hugo 2.

A little background first. I purchased the AFC a couple months back here in Tokyo. This is right before the AFO came out. As soon as I tried the AFC on for a listen I was hooked. I compared these to the Senheisers and personally for what I was looking for there was no comparison. I have been missing the neutral sound for a long time and with the AFC I found it. Soon after the AFO came out on the market. I got a quick listen to them at Yodobashi, but knowing I would probably not purchase them since I already had the AFC I quickly put them aside. I justified not purchasing both because I felt what would be the reason since they are going to sound the same.

Christmas arrived, sure enough under the tree held the AFOs. My first thought, well, what do I do with the AFCs, sigh.... Since Christmas I have only been listening to the AFOs. I really enjoy those HPs. As I listened to thw AFOs the AFCs sat lonely on the shelf. Well today I broke both of them out for a comparison. I quickly realized they were not alike as much as I thought. Yes, I know one is a open back and the other is a closed. I knew there would be a difference, but I felt the difference would be subtle.

Ironically, the difference were much greater than I originally thought. I cannot describe the differences of the characteristics between the two HPs better than Chris Martens from Hi Fi stated on his report of RMAF:

"In a twist on the usual order of things it turns out that the closed back AEON Flow places a greater emphasis on perceived openness, definition, and neutral voicing, where the AEON Flow Open has a slightly warmer and more relaxed presentation with a greater emphasis on perceived tonal richness."

I would only add, the AFOs have a greater emphasis on the mid bass versus the AFC. I do agree with Chris's comment when he states, " Both versions have merit, so that it could be desirable—budget permitting—to own one of each." For those who own both, I would not judge quickly and feel the need to sell one. I agree, I believe they do complement each other and are worthy of keeping both. Hence, the AFCs will no longer sit alone on the shelf. The AFCs will have equal listening time in this household.

Cheers,

Shawn
IMG_1726.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #3,808 of 5,483
Some endorsement from Rob Watts of Chord fame in his 2017 review:
And to close I must mention Mr Speakers Aeon closed. I first heard prototypes at different Canjams, and in I ordered a pair based upon 5 minutes listening. A production unit arrived in the Summer, and straight out of the box sounded exactly like I heard at Canjam - they are superb - extremely transparent and refined, but perhaps slightly bright, but not overtly so. Perfect for all the flying I do!

Jan 2, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #3,809 of 5,483

Jan 3, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #3,810 of 5,483
Hey guys, I'm new to the community.
Currently own Beats Studio 2.0 but just purchased a used MrSpeakers Aeon C (500USD for a like new Aeon C is a good deal right ?). Also purchased a Fostex-THX00 PH and a Sennheiser HD6XX. Went from 0 to a 100 real quick haha.
Basically, I want to know if I need all 3. Do they complement each other well ? Are there 2 of these headphones that are basically the same and that I could sell ? If the answer is yes, which one should I sell and what should I look for in the same price range to complete my set ? I'm really excited to test the Aeon C, actually they're my dream sealed headphones.
Audiophile community, here I come !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back