AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 8, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #3,706 of 5,483
What's a good amp to pair with these if my chief complaint is a lack of bass? They may have great sound, but the bass is just near non-existent by simply plugging it into my laptop.

Would something like https://sites.google.com/view/dacampadvice/desktop/fiio-e10k be enough?

Songs like Trentemoller's Moan are near intolerable since I'm essentially missing a large chunk of the music.
/

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #3,707 of 5,483
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 8, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #3,708 of 5,483
Always important to know what your budget is and if on a portable you need portable or a desktop is OK....
Ah, desktop is ok. I don't plan on running around with these. Budget is really whatever. I would rather accomplish the goal than I would skimp on experience to save a few dollars.

After digging into these for an hour, I would definitely cap it out if the benefit didn't justify the cost jump. Prices seem to vary wildly on these things.

after reading more about this, I'd assume the one I linked earlier wouldn't work as well.
As price goes up, input/output options seems really quite limited too.

I'm just lost in the sauce looking at all these.
http://www.chordmojo.com/technology/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DFMV4NQ/ref=psdc_13880161_t1_B016W1X94O
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076K9M2TZ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&smid=A2H1DLE1VLYNIR
https://www.amazon.com/iFi-iDSD-Black-Label-Headphone/dp/B01MTNK3ZT

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #3,709 of 5,483
Ah, desktop is ok. I don't plan on running around with these. Budget is really whatever. I would rather accomplish the goal than I would skimp on experience to save a few dollars.

after reading more about this, I'd assume the one I linked earlier wouldn't work as well.
As price goes up, input/output options seems really quite limited too.
I've said it before and I'll say it again...
My favorite pairing is the iFi micro iDSD BL.
It can be used as a desktop or portable amp, has tons of power, and has an excellent bass boost circuit.

It is also one of the most recommended DAC/amps in this thread. They can be found for sale in good condition for $350-$400.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #3,710 of 5,483
I second the Black label. Nice portable option as well as desktop.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #3,713 of 5,483
Everywhere I've been looking they're $550, one used at $489. Where do you look to find them?
Gotta search the classifieds here on Head-Fi. They commonly sell in that price range but they usually go quick. Some of the newer or nicer ones can be between $400-$450 but it's still a decent discount over buying new.
I've found the easiest way to search the all the classifieds at once is to use Devbrada.

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #3,714 of 5,483
What's a good amp to pair with these if my chief complaint is a lack of bass? They may have great sound, but the bass is just near non-existent by simply plugging it into my laptop.

Same. My solution may be to return it. I really need the low end, especially from an $800 headphone. They sound pretty good otherwise. I was really hoping these would work out. I've been listening to them with a Fiio X5 gen 3 with and without a Fiio A5 amp. I tried with my Darkvoice 336SE and there was no synergy at all. Maybe the Cayin i5 as PinkyPowers mentions. I actually been thinking of a solid state combo DAC/Amp, but would rather spend the $500 on a Jot....maybe.

I don't know what to try next. Maybe back to 770 80 ohm for closed, or try some IEM's.

Back to my trusty HD600's which sound fantastic with the Darkvoice and have tons of bass.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #3,715 of 5,483
Same. My solution may be to return it. I really need the low end, especially from an $800 headphone. They sound pretty good otherwise. I was really hoping these would work out. I've been listening to them with a Fiio X5 gen 3 with and without a Fiio A5 amp. I tried with my Darkvoice 336SE and there was no symmetry at all. Maybe the Cayin i5 as PinkyPowers mentions. I actually been thinking of a solid state combo DAC/Amp, but would rather spend the $500 on a Jot....maybe.

I don't know what to try next. Maybe back to 770 80 ohm for closed, or try some IEM's.

Back to my trusty HD600's which sound fantastic with the Darkvoice and have tons of bass.
The Darkvoice is an OTL tube amp best paired with high impedance headphones like the HD600. The Aeon is low impedance and low sensitivity so it really needs the power from a solid state amplifier. That may be why it didn't pair well with the Darkvoice.

If you're looking for lots of bass, you could look into the Fostex TH-X00 variants as well.

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #3,716 of 5,483
Same. My solution may be to return it. I really need the low end, especially from an $800 headphone. They sound pretty good otherwise. I was really hoping these would work out. I've been listening to them with a Fiio X5 gen 3 with and without a Fiio A5 amp. I tried with my Darkvoice 336SE and there was no synergy at all. Maybe the Cayin i5 as PinkyPowers mentions. I actually been thinking of a solid state combo DAC/Amp, but would rather spend the $500 on a Jot....maybe.

I agree with Schwibbles.
Why don’t you try with the iFi iCan SE?
Plenty of current and also the possibility to extend some low frequencies response.
I found it very useful for those albums recorded in the ‘60s and ‘70s where the low frequencies were not prominent.
Plus the “tubey” sound signature of the iCan may fit your taste.
I don’t know, but if I were on you I would definitely make a test.

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #3,717 of 5,483
I agree with Schwibbles.
Why don’t you try with the iFi iCan SE?
Plenty of current and also the possibility to extend some low frequencies response.
I found it very useful for those albums recorded in the ‘60s and ‘70s where the low frequencies were not prominent.
Plus the “tubey” sound signature of the iCan may fit your taste.
I don’t know, but if I were on you I would definitely make a test.

Well, I do have a JDS O2 I can try with my DAP or CCA with a Fiio S/PDIF DAC. If I spend more money to fix these, I would want a Mojo, A iFi Micro, or Jot. I wanted to actually use these a bit portable, so maybe try the Cayin i5. I might just take the 5% hit though so I can try something else. I don't have long to decide, but could always sell them I guess.

Off to listen with some other sources.

<edit>The O2 is a no go. I actually tried with just the Fiio X5 gen 3 again and it is sounding pretty good now. I did run some pink noise for like 12 hours. My go to song with low end galore is Pony Girl Human (Absoluut Remix) and some Caroline Smith and Chet Faker. I might just play some more hours of pink noise and just use the dap some more. Hey....there's hope to get what I want out of these after all. They are comfortable and isolating as heck.</edit>

<edit again> I'm having a hard time talking myself out of these. I don't think I've heard Lake Street Dive Fun Machine sound this good...<done editing>

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #3,718 of 5,483

The bass is very good actually. It’s neutral and well extended. But I can understand where you are coming from if you are compare to something like the B&W P7W on some hiphop music. Those headphones have subwoofer like bass.

Personally if you like bass while having a high quality sound, the Campfire Andromeda (with reference 8 cable which gives alot more soundstage and also more treble) + Poly + Mojo is pretty cool.

The Aeon Closed is my neutral portable headphone while the Campfire Andromeda is my more fun portable “headphone” (it’s an IEM, but it sounds like a high-end open headphone).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #3,719 of 5,483
Been fiddling around with Equalizer APO to some degree of success today for making an interim solution until the price drops / normalizes on the idsd black label.
Anyone with more experience have any suggestions for better tuning? I'm just fiddling with this by ear.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back