AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 7, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #3,676 of 5,483
I'll add that I do not necessarily see the use of EQ as a step to "fix" a problem. I use it to fine tune a HP for my personal preference and a quality HP like the Aeons allows this without introducing any distortion. It really is a fantastic HP.
Aeon's low distortion levels allow it to respond to EQ well.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #3,677 of 5,483
Unfortunately, I find the PM3 too warm and severely rolled-off in the treble. Making it sound muddy and lacking clarity and details. I like how the Aeon from high-bass all the way to the high treble region. In some cases, I like it the way it is. But if my mood calls for it I just raise the low-end starting at 150Hhz gradually rising and peak at 100Hz down to 20Hz by 3 to 6dB.
I share the same opinion, that's why I got these cans.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #3,680 of 5,483
Get it custom made. Lots of cable makers does it. Just google it. I had one but I can't recommended it due to communication issues with the seller. You can check with treoo if they can make a cable for Aeon.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #3,683 of 5,483
Where do I get balanced cables for these? Asides from mrspeakers website?
Impact Audio Cables - Great option if you're on a budget.
Ursine Audio - Another great option if you're on a budget.
Toxic Cables
Forza Audioworks - One of my personal favorites. One of the only places I've found that have the excellent ViaBlue 1/8" and 1/4" connectors (at least I like them).
ZMF - Zach just designed an all new cable that's supposed to be nicer than their current top of the line OCC cable. Should be released sometime in January.
Cardas Audio - You may have to contact them to see if they have MrSpeakers connectors.
Norne Audio
Moon Audio - Expensive but seemingly good option. May be hard to justify the price based on offerings from other makers I've listed above.
Effect Audio - Good option if you have more money than god.
Kimber Kable - Another good option if you have more money than god.

Update on the ZMF cables in a conversation I'm having with Zach:
"We will most likely be getting rid of our "basic" OCC cable that is available now, although I am not 100% sure of that yet, and then we will have two wires, a 105 nylon insulated litz occ in 5N copper that will be available up to 9.5 feet, and a 511 strand 7N litz copper that will be out flagship. The 105 strand will most likely start at 150 usd and the 511 strand (per conductor) at $399.99. The latter will have some wood parts on the cable as well.
Basically I found that finely stranded copper sounds "easier" to the ear and the notes "pop" more with a blacker background. So I wanted the most strands as possible while still keeping the cables malleable and nice to the touch."

EDIT: Q-Audio - Haven't tried them but the cables and connectors they use look nice.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #3,684 of 5,483
They make cables? dang they're badass.
They are just reseller of few cable makers. I had custom cables made by Nocturnal via Treoo. The Calyx/Hydra 8-conductor looks awesome and not priced ridiculously like many cables out there. Not exactly cheap but the build and craftsmanship is what you are paying for. They look good, high-quality build and they are very manageable. No microphonics and remain straight and does not tangle when you wrap the cable in coil.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #3,685 of 5,483
Anyways, I'm considering balanced because I see an Aune s16 for like 300 USD, thought that that'll be a good upgrade since everyone raves about balanced on these cans @_@
Yay or Nay?
What amp would you be running with the S16? I just got one and am looking into options on balanced amps to pair with it.

I wasn't a huge fan of the SE output of the S16 with the AFC.

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #3,688 of 5,483
Good question lol I haven't put any thoughts into that

Do let me know your impressions though.. Am pretty interested in it.
PM sent; don't want to threadjack.

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #3,690 of 5,483
I think you will be a happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back