New Beyer DT1350
Jun 25, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,864 of 4,010
How comfortable are they for big heads?
What about isolation, leakage and sensitivity?

They're fine for me, and my head is rather large. They're easily adjustable. Sensitivity is quite high, they sound good with mp3 players. Leakage and isolation are about average for on-ear closed cans, they do a decent job. You can still hear some of what's going on around you and other people can't hear what you're listening to unless you crank them up quite a bit.

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,865 of 4,010
Quote:
Quote:

What's shocking is all this skepticism of Beyerdynamic (and the decades of experience of their acoustic engineers have) contrasted with blind faith in Purrin*.

*No offence to Purrin, this post isn't directed at him.

I would describe it more like trust with Purrin.  He's earned my trust after a year of scrutinizing his measurements and the way they compare to my own impressions not to mention getting to know him personally.  Beyer and pretty much every other headphone manufacturer has earned my distrust after 7 years being frustrated by the mediocre to crappy headphones they churn out.

I don't trust decades of existence.  I trust results.  I find Purrin's results to be outstanding (though of course, not perfect) and I find Beyer's results to be average at best.

Reminds me of the trouble I've had finding a pair of IEMs that I didn't feel were awful in some way or another. However, even though I, say, don't like the screeching highs that seem to be popular nowadays, I don't go about complaining endlessly about them in threads. 
smile.gif

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,868 of 4,010
Quote:
If there are indeed QC issues with Beyerdynamic, I would rather be informed.

The problem appears to be that all manufacturers (Stax likely excepted) do not manufacture drivers that have a consistent frequency response. Some, like Audeze and Sennheiser, provide FR response graphs with some or all models, presumably for professionals who need this information.

We seem to be at a point where people are trying to make up their mind about how important and relevant headphone measurements are.  I think, at least in this case, we need feedback from Beyer as to what was going on when they designed their headphones.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #1,869 of 4,010
Quote:
What's shocking is all this skepticism of Beyerdynamic (and the decades of experience of their acoustic engineers have) contrasted with blind faith in Purrin*.

*No offence to Purrin, this post isn't directed at him.

Psst...

Tyll's in on it too...

Or maybe Beyer just has crappy QC on some of their models.  Their 880/250s and 880/600s with different drivers are closer to each other than those T1s or T5ps...

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #1,871 of 4,010
I wonder if the issues aren't related to mass-production, where even if the engineers could design prototypes using whatever materials they please, production practicalities limit the number and types of materials that are actually practical to build the headphones with, resulting in some compromises. It would definitely be interesting to ask about. I'm thinking this because it happened in the computer industry, at least until Apple came along and did crazy things like buy up the entire supply of aluminium from some mines in Australia to ensure sufficient supply.

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #1,872 of 4,010
Just got my DT1350 out again for the first time in over three weeks after listening to my ES5s.  WOW, still impressed by these little things.  Using DX100 as source and Rx Mk3-B balanced to feed them.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #1,873 of 4,010
Quote:
So my 1350's the bottom one on the graphs. I always like being able to pick out details in the lowest octaves on these, and now I know why: there's a huge bleedin' suckout in the mid-upper bass! Like half the bass stood aside for a second and said, "no, I insist, after you". The rest of the FR more or less makes sense, treble's down where it would annoy me and up where it wouldn't. Still love these 'phones.

Quote:
It's worth pointing out that the 3 measured sets are essentially random selection and that the disparities between them go far beyond what should be acceptable in a high-end product by a serious brand with decades of experience.
It's also worth pointing out that even though I own what's arguably the weidest measuring pair, I still think they sound good. I'll have to spend some type listening to bass-heavy tracks to figure out why the mid-bass hump doesn't sound so bad and I already know that sins of omission in the early-to-mid treble are easier on the ear. Since the 1350s are otherwise well-behaved, it will be interesting to find out how they sound after EQ. It might be that, when EQ-ed to an even response I might not think as highly of them. Of course then I'd have to figure out whether to blame my plebian taste, near-deafness or a microphone
wink.gif

:facepalm:
Turns out I was talking about the measurements for someone else's DT1350. On the high note, purrin's sample size is up to 4. On the low, the latest addition does nothing to reinforce any image of manufacturing consistency.

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #1,874 of 4,010
Quote:
I listen mostly to rock/indie music, in terms of sound I lie a fairly neutral, leaning to warm sound.
I'm very pleased with my AKG K550 headphones for home use.

Generally I prefer the comfort of the HD25 to the DT1350. Interestingly the M-80 uses less clamping force but makes my ears hurt much earlier than both the HD25 and the DT1350, in my opinion due to the lack of swiveling cups.
I don't listen to rock/indie that much, so I can't comment on the sound signatures with regard to that. To me the M-80 is warmer than the HD25, ffering more but not necessarily deeper bass while the DT1350 is more neutral if sometimes seems a bit unengaged, reaching deeper than both the HD25 and the M-80 (which is nice with electronic music...).
I've found isolation quite on par between the HD25 and the M-80, the DT1350 maybe a bit better if positioned correctly.
Comparing them to the K550 in my opinion the DT1350 has the most similar sound signature.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #1,875 of 4,010
Quote:
Generally I prefer the comfort of the HD25 to the DT1350. Interestingly the M-80 uses less clamping force but makes my ears hurt much earlier than both the HD25 and the DT1350, in my opinion due to the lack of swiveling cups.
I don't listen to rock/indie that much, so I can't comment on the sound signatures with regard to that. To me the M-80 is warmer than the HD25, ffering more but not necessarily deeper bass while the DT1350 is more neutral if sometimes seems a bit unengaged, reaching deeper than both the HD25 and the M-80 (which is nice with electronic music...).
I've found isolation quite on par between the HD25 and the M-80, the DT1350 maybe a bit better if positioned correctly.
Comparing them to the K550 in my opinion the DT1350 has the most similar sound signature.

Thanks a lot for all your help.
It doesn't sound like any of these headphones will do.
Maybe I need to stick with some Circulaural headphones that are as portable as possible.
Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back