New Beyer DT1350
Jun 17, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #1,726 of 4,010
Well man, there are musicians who do this every day of their lives and I think they are fine. Many now use protection but that doesn't save their fans. So you never been to a concert lol? Where 130dB is not unknown and for periods of maybe two hours straight hahahaha. Don't worry man, I know when to step back. I don't know what else to tell you. I have tested many amps with these and the three outlines before extensively. My Bloat has damn near 'better' parts than the Denon but is obviously of much much lesser design.

No hundred dollar gumbox headphone amp is going to push a nice Denon if you go mass or Krell if you go custom or anything beyond that, etc.

As I said people can continue to think that pushing 90dB is what decides a good amp but that is beyond ridiculous because good amps push 130dB and do it clean where that other amp is barely doing 90dB clean with zero headroom. 90dB is nothing and most people listen to music for long periods of time at those levels or even 100dB without killing themselves. But if that is all you are going to use it for then great that works. But hearing damage and what not I listen to music to be involved in it every once in a while and that means loud volume. The bass in my Bloat is pathetic on these btw and that thing costed 140 with the nice array of caps and the default DACs and amps and which were already of high quality. Of course it is just a pocket portable USB amp.

I think the thing with small amps is they simply cannot control the bass very well in my experience but as I said I am sure somebody put together some exceptional 'gumbox' that would surprise the hell out of me though I doubt it's cheap.

If you are talking about 400 dollar plus portables or the such then that is a way different story.

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #1,727 of 4,010
Quote:
Is there any way you can test a brand new pair Purrin. I will say I have tested mono recordings extensively and I cannot hear a damn difference in the channels. But I am not sure about the bass at times and because of how you wear things.
Are you TOTALLY positive that there is zero room for error in your tests?
I will say again that no matter what these tests are saying there is nothing in the 300 dollar range that I think remotely goes up against these when amped properly. Music like Alice in Chains Unplugged takes to the concert space like no other. I don't know but that last pair is beyond ridiculous and can you hear that when you listen to that pair?

There's no such thing as zero room for error in anything.

That said, his error bars do look to be pretty small.

Quote:
The ESW10JPN was a compensation issue in the bass applied to the raw measurements. It wasn't a "hardware" issue.

To answer your question, I've never broken down the rig since I've put it together. I even transported it whole to my new place when I moved.

I'll occasionally perform a repeatability / consistency test. Nothing scientific and nothing rigorous. Just a check to make sure everything is OK. My rig, because of the way it's put together, is more immune to minor headphone placement changes.

Here are measurements taken of a SR-80 Grado driver: 9/13/2011 and 12/4/2011:

Here are comparison measurements (left+right channel) taken of an LCD3 in 11/14/2011 and 1/24/2012.

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,729 of 4,010
So are the Grados.  The 1350s are more finicky but a poor seal will just roll off the bass and different positions will just shift peaks and nulls a bit.  It can't do any of that other weird carp.

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #1,730 of 4,010
Okay, that 3rd one just looks ridiculous I think we can all agree that there is no way we could not hear that. And I am properly convinced I have next to no midrange abnormalities but I cannot be sure on the bass. I know that when one driver is pushed to the breaking point the other can keep going about 2dB more but I cannot account for if it is balance or if it is just one driver being better than the other. I would lean towards a slight lower bass imbalance that pretty much goes away if I tilt my phones slightly.

Nothing to worry me really but I would hope they honestly have their stuff worked out now. Top end LCD TV guys are notorious for the first models being awful and for later revisions being much better. I have an awful story of missing pixels, bad inputs, and awful PQ but that is for another forum. If something were wrong with my pair I would send them back plain and simple and hey that two year warranty isn't that bad. Now I don't know about their techs though.

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #1,731 of 4,010
I actually measure headphones on special flat plate of my own construction (and then something else similar if necessary to get additional data). I then crunch some mystical numbers and pray to Benzaiten, the goddess of music. The rig tends to be fairly immune from differences in placement position. I couldn't believe the measurements (lack of bass) when I first saw them, inspected the rig, and then actually listened to them to make sure (they did indeed sound bass-lite and very mid-centric compared to the one slwiser sent me.) I also measured several other headphones afterward without any odd issues.

All I can say is Bad Beyer! Very Bery Bad!

P.S.

There is always a chance of error, but under the circumstances (other headphones measure OK, checked with listening test, etc.) I doubt it. Let me check the raw data and number crunching again... But seriously, it looks like damping or a part wasn't installed.

Wow.

Any similar tests done on other headphones?

Yes. I have about a hundred other headphone measurements. It seems to occur only with early Audeze releases and with the T1 and DT1350. Two other Tesla's were fine. This doesn't happen on classic Beyers either.

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #1,732 of 4,010
So your findings are pointing to Beyer's Tesla Technology being rubbish due to sub standard manufacturing process? Where are these things assembled by the way and are the other Beyer models assembled in a different country?

Jun 17, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #1,733 of 4,010
Quote:
I actually measure headphones on special flat plate of my own construction (and then something else similar if necessary to get additional data). I then crunch some mystical numbers and pray to Benzaiten, the goddess of music. The rig tends to be fairly immune from differences in placement position. I couldn't believe the measurements (lack of bass) when I first saw them, inspected the rig, and then actually listened to them to make sure (they did indeed sound bass-lite and very mid-centric compared to the one slwiser sent me.) I also measured several other headphones afterward without any odd issues.

All I can say is Bad Beyer! Very Bery Bad!

P.S.

There is always a chance of error, but under the circumstances (other headphones measure OK, checked with listening test, etc.) I doubt it. Let me check the raw data and number crunching again... But seriously, it looks like damping or a part wasn't installed.

Yes. I have about a hundred other headphone measurements. It seems to occur only with early Audeze releases and with the T1 and DT1350. Two other Tesla's were fine. This doesn't happen on classic Beyers either.

Just out of curiousity, did you happen to record the serial numbers of those 3 headphones?

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #1,735 of 4,010
So my 1350's the bottom one on the graphs. I always like being able to pick out details in the lowest octaves on these, and now I know why: there's a huge bleedin' suckout in the mid-upper bass! Like half the bass stood aside for a second and said, "no, I insist, after you". The rest of the FR more or less makes sense, treble's down where it would annoy me and up where it wouldn't. Still love these 'phones.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #1,738 of 4,010
Well, at this point I am thinking of sending my headphones to you, or in the least before my warranty expires, just to see what you come up with. I am very interested in this.

I am prepared for some insane graph to show up so I can laugh about it and then demand they fix them hahaha. I mean I take it people are okay with sending you their equipment or are you even interested in hearing another pair?

I need to get my rung fixed first though before I would do any of that.

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #1,739 of 4,010
I plan on buying a pair of these in a couple of weeks, so I certainly hope they've got their issues sorted out by now if they actually did exist in the first place.

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #1,740 of 4,010
I'm not even sure if Beyer is aware of this problem, which is rather scary. I really wanted to try a DT 1350 myself, but if I purchase it I would like to be sure that I'm getting the headphone that I'm supposed to get - not one of three variations. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back