New Beyer DT1350
Mar 31, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,396 of 4,010
Same result for me too.

EDIT - Guess I forgot to quote the question that was asked.  Was back about 14 posts and asked about running straight from an iPod.  Bass is pretty poor for running this way.

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #1,398 of 4,010
I have to say that I cannot believe just how much better the DT1350 is compared to the T50P - so totally night and day in fit, and sound quality / eq...

If only the DT1350 came out first, then Tesla would probably be the mainstream driver type by now...

Yes, as you can tell - I'm pretty smitten with the DT1350 :) 

Mar 31, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,399 of 4,010
I see you have the Sony Z1000. Can you please share your impression between the two? I was also curious on trying the Sony. cheer. :D

I have to say that I cannot believe just how much better the DT1350 is compared to the T50P - so totally night and day in fit, and sound quality / eq...

If only the DT1350 came out first, then Tesla would probably be the mainstream driver type by now...

Yes, as you can tell - I'm pretty smitten with the DT1350 :) 

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #1,401 of 4,010
The M80 sounded very congested to me at first but it does open up with use. From all of the closed portable cans that I have tested,mthe m80 and Dt1350 are my favorites.

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #1,402 of 4,010

Quote:
I see you have the Sony Z1000. Can you please share your impression between the two? I was also curious on trying the Sony. cheer.
biggrin.gif

Hmm...  A very quick and non scientific statement below - I may flesh this out fully in time, but - not today :wink:

Strictly using a portable source (as we're in the portable section), the Z1000 doesn't reach as low in the bass (crunchy and boxy rather than rumbly), detail retrieval is also less obvious on the Z1000 - although that could be because there is more midrange presence on the Z's compared to the DT's (which sound a little cold in comparison) which seems to thicken the sound up a bit...  Treble extension also goes to the Beyers.

Comfort, and lack of sweat factor definitely go to the Beyers, they fit snug as a bug (but without being like mini ovens), and don't look too big for when out and about...

Switching back to the Beyers for the final time, it is quite funny how bassy their little 30mm driver is compared to the huge 50mm driver in the Sonys, then again - it has been mentioned elsewhere that the Sonys are a bit of a pig to drive, assumably their 32ohm impedance is probably a bit of an under-estimate...

Going to Beyer vs Beyer, I do not understand how the DT1350 has less bass than the T50P, I find it completely the other way around, then again - my T50P is from the first batch, with the thin pads - and the fit is less than stellar, so I guess these two facts go against me...

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #1,404 of 4,010
Ballcall2...

That is a tough question...

The ESW9 is the king for your genres, and - as much as this is seemingly an appreciation thread for the Beyers, I just cannot see that the DT1350 will be better, other than for isolation, and - for overall clarity than the ATs...

Depending on how portable you need, don't forget that the ATs sit around your ears, whilst the Beyers sit ON your ears (if that makes a difference)

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #1,405 of 4,010
I personally would rate the beyers as being far more analytical that the esw9's which are more fun and bass enhanced.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #1,408 of 4,010
@slwiser
Thanks for the tip concerning the HD25 pads. I had the spare white set from my Adidas HD25-i-ii lying around in it's box and tonight I decided to try out the mod. End result, I can now pop them on my head and forget about them and no more playing around with fit for 10 minutes to get proper positioning. Thanks man

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #1,409 of 4,010
I will definitely do some heavy listening to at least give you an opinion. I have a complete set of Mozart symphonies recently recorded and some Debussy I will try out. I see no reason to believe these would be inferior for this type of music. I roll of the highs and the bass a tad at high volumes and I can play heavy piano notes without distortion and instruments to me sound best in class at this pricepoint. At lower volumes on the ipod I think these would be great for classical. At high volumes you will need to EQ for a softer sound because it will drill your brains out if you are like me but classical usually does not quite get rock concert loud for an hour straight. They can sound really sibilant and rough at the high end but I am not sure you would notice if you are not amped.

Will get back soon.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #1,410 of 4,010
Bass didn't change for me going from ipod to SOHA/gamma2.  Sounded a bit better in the usual way of more control, but it didn't change their strengths and weaknesses at all. 

Amp to amp is going to be very different but I am sure you know that. I have a USB amp that runs my Etymotics just fine. It has the highest quality parts but it is just a Bloat amp I bought off the net to suffice for the time. I have now learned it does not drive 80 ohm or greater headphones very well despite being amped properly, from what I understood, to drive a pair of these or higher. It just flubs out on bass that goes any higher than a mediocre slam. My Denon plays it all and more and would break these things if asked to quite easily. I can only imagine a really nice set of full cans with this thing. Thing is in this price range I did not like any of the full can offerings. Anyway, what do I care with my setup these are near golden.

Also, my sound perception changes when I am stoned. I seem to hear more bass frequencies. I could have sworn the bass was heavier on these before but listening to them not stoned I feel like the bass is lighter. Not sure about that lol. I had actually turned my bass down a bit because on certain recordings where low beats are emphasized primarily, and loud at that, the midbass can get muddy. I think people really need to give these 10 minutes to warm up to your ears and to seal properly. I find it cool that as I go through all my material that I keep EQ'ing certain parts so they fit better into my volume limit without distortion. When you do finally get these down to where your ears are not bothered by much sibilance or harshness you will fall in love for the price.

Definitely what I call stunning headphones. I mean the bass does not blow my mind or anything like my ported IDMAX does in the car but nothing else does but a concert or high end stuff. I am sure the higher end phones are even more forceful. I kind of have been prone to EQ'ing for specific albums even as so much mastering these days is completely different than the next. Neil Young's new remasters sounded a bit bass light to me on my normal settings but that is because I have EQ'd them for balance and they are very dynamic recordings. I however cannot quite get the sibilance out of Neil's voice at high volumes yet without sacrificing the midrange. So now I am trying an aggressive EQ that nudges the mids down a tad. That sibilance is too jarring sometimes. I bet it would help classical too.

Beck's Midnite Vultures is still bassy as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back