New Beyer DT1350
Aug 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #871 of 4,010

Quote:
Well its always been my opinion that personal preferences about sound sig is what's most important and not what someone else says about technicalities or some such.  What's important is what you you like.  Nothing more, nothing less.

but I want to like number 1 not number 2 
tongue_smile.gif
. ok it is not like I dislike the beyer neither. but yes you are totally right, personal preferences. if only I could carry the K601 and the gilmore lite around ... if only.

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #872 of 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but I want to like number 1 not number 2 
tongue_smile.gif
. ok it is not like I dislike the beyer neither. but yes you are totally right, personal preferences. if only I could carry the K601 and the gilmore lite around ... if only.

Mini3 doesn't have enough juice?  Or do they not stay put well enough on your head?

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #874 of 4,010
Quote:
both. also Is open, huge and gets dirty easily. and yes the mini3 isnt enough, the K601 are very power hungry.

The Objective2 should put out 5x as much power into that load as the Mini3 from batteries if you're after a cheap and strong portable but that won't fix the other problems.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #876 of 4,010

Quote:
I like radiohead, and specially OK computer, but sometimes I get dissapointed at the recording qialities. once I read that Thom recorded a track, "i believe it was you and whose army" in his living room after doing the shoping, and you can hear his wife making noises with the paper bags in the background...

Take climbing up the walls for example, its a beautiful song, but it has a lot of noise around. maybe on purpose but still a let down.

and I thought the DT1350 did great with this kind if slow music, this is where it shines. anyone ever heard Paatos? I swear the little beyer makes Petronella's voice even sexier. <3

just listen to her voice.

Just listening to this Paatos now, not bad. Sorta trip-hoppy and hazy (or maybe that's just the video's poor audio quality). Bet it'd make for good stuff to drift off to sleep to.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #877 of 4,010
My pair of Dt1350's just arrived today. Played music through them without listening for about 4 hours.

Just a quick first impression:

I watched a blue-ray movie through an onkyo reciever playing into a presonus hp4 (that way my wife and I can both use headphones) They were very good with movie! Less sound stage than the hd800's I usually use, and not as "full" sounding. But I did not get that "I am missing something" feeling while watching. Bass was tight and extended, everything sounded smooth and clear. Explosions still had impact, but less of the "thump!" though...In a quick comparison, I liked them much better than the DT770's that my wife chose to use.

I then listened to some music,  Mackbook Pro (lossless +wav) > Nuforce HDP > dt1350:

I was surprised by the level of impact from the drums and guitar listening to kid rock's "rock and roll jesus" album and juno reactor's pistolero.

I tried: diane krall, katie melua, clapton, willie nelson, faure, nirvana, johnny cash, zepplin, maceo parker, mingus, monk, lady gaga, beck, moby, kanye, sugarhill gang...I thought it handled everything well enough. Only on classical pieces did the smaller sound stage start to feel remiss. And the bass could have been a little more plentiful on the hip hop and rap, but it was extended and full enough, that I could still enjoy listening. I have had other phones that put me off enough with certain styles of music that I could not listen with them. So far, these seem to work well enough with everything I tried to be enjoyable.

(I agree that the guitar on radio head's ok computer album did not sound so great with these, but I think it is the recording. 'll have to compare with the hd800's some time, don't feel like warming up the tubes right now)

I tried them right out of the macbook pro's headphone jack (after listening through the nuforce hdp for a few hours) and could not stand the sound. it sounded like a different can to me...Mids dropped out too much and was it sounded much flatter over all. the bass may have been more emphasized, maybe because everything else recessed, but was not as impactful or extended. I think the dt1350's are MUCH BETTER amped! I will give them a few more days, but if I continue to like the way they sound I will have to break down an get a portable amp for these...

After 4 hours wearing these my ears are bright red! Comfort has been fine, but I am going to stop wearing them until tomorrow...

I bought the dt1350 as a portable, closed option and I am very happy with these so far!

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #878 of 4,010

Quote:
My pair of Dt1350's just arrived today. Played music through them without listening for about 4 hours.

Just a quick first impression:

I watched a blue-ray movie through an onkyo reciever playing into a presonus hp4 (that way my wife and I can both use headphones) They were very good with movie! Less sound stage than the hd800's I usually use, and not as "full" sounding. But I did not get that "I am missing something" feeling while watching. Bass was tight and extended, everything sounded smooth and clear. Explosions still had impact, but less of the "thump!" though...In a quick comparison, I liked them much better than the DT770's that my wife chose to use.

I then listened to some music,  Mackbook Pro (lossless +wav) > Nuforce HDP > dt1350:

I was surprised by the level of impact from the drums and guitar listening to kid rock's "rock and roll jesus" album and juno reactor's pistolero.

I tried: diane krall, katie melua, clapton, willie nelson, faure, nirvana, johnny cash, zepplin, maceo parker, mingus, monk, lady gaga, beck, moby, kanye, sugarhill gang...I thought it handled everything well enough. Only on classical pieces did the smaller sound stage start to feel remiss. And the bass could have been a little more plentiful on the hip hop and rap, but it was extended and full enough, that I could still enjoy listening. I have had other phones that put me off enough with certain styles of music that I could not listen with them. So far, these seem to work well enough with everything I tried to be enjoyable.

(I agree that the guitar on radio head's ok computer album did not sound so great with these, but I think it is the recording. 'll have to compare with the hd800's some time, don't feel like warming up the tubes right now)

I tried them right out of the macbook pro's headphone jack (after listening through the nuforce hdp for a few hours) and could not stand the sound. it sounded like a different can to me...Mids dropped out too much and was it sounded much flatter over all. the bass may have been more emphasized, maybe because everything else recessed, but was not as impactful or extended. I think the dt1350's are MUCH BETTER amped! I will give them a few more days, but if I continue to like the way they sound I will have to break down an get a portable amp for these...

After 4 hours wearing these my ears are bright red! Comfort has been fine, but I am going to stop wearing them until tomorrow...

I bought the dt1350 as a portable, closed option and I am very happy with these so far!

You (or anyone else)--any particular track from OK Computer that sounds especially strange to you? Gonna listen to it on my DT1350 tomorrow to see if I can catch onto this.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #879 of 4,010
I've also got a problem with the DT 1350 and timbre - less so when properly amped.

BUT I think all the headphones I've tried thus far don't get me quite there in terms of timbre, especially portable headphones. And among the ones I tried, I still place the DT 1350 somewhere around the top. I didn't like the timbre of the HD-25 and most Audio Technica at all, but enjoyed the B&W P5 a little more than I expected as far as timbre goes. I find the DT 1350 to be decent in that regard.

Also, I'm not sure any Radiohead album is a good reference for timbre accuracy. They aren't badly produced or recorded, but still, they're tweaked and too compressed to belong, in my opinion, to the "reference" album list. For guitars, I tend to prefer live acoustic albums for reference (Eric Clapton's unplugged for example). I'm sure there are even better recordings out there to test for timbre accuracy. And finally, we have different expectations - including about timbre, given, for example and among many things, our own experience of live venues. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #880 of 4,010

Quote:
Well its always been my opinion that personal preferences about sound sig is what's most important and not what someone else says about technicalities or some such.  What's important is what you you like.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed, towards the end of the DT 1350 review joker even said both cans were great sounding headphones and for most people it boils down to what specific sound signature they personally prefer. I'm kind of on the weird side as I get more and more into audio I'm finding myself matching different gear towards specific songs or genres. That aside I've given my HD 25-1 II's permanent residence in my backpack and they are my go to cans when I'm on the go. As much as I'm loving the 1350's the Senn's forgiving nature are great for a lot of my music that's not particularly recorded well. At home the 1350's share music duty with my Grado's and my super bassy XB's.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #881 of 4,010

Quote:

You (or anyone else)--any particular track from OK Computer that sounds especially strange to you? Gonna listen to it on my DT1350 tomorrow to see if I can catch onto this.

I found that the whole album (should I say CD? that should tell you how old I am) sounded a bit off with the DT1350's. I just listened again and it's not that bad, but I do notice something off timbre and flat especially on "subterranan homesick alien" when the vocal begins.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #882 of 4,010

Quote:
I found that the whole album (should I say CD? that should tell you how old I am) sounded a bit off with the DT1350's. I just listened again and it's not that bad, but I do notice something off timbre and flat especially on "subterranan homesick alien" when the vocal begins.

Hello man!
Can you describe differences between small DT1350 and big DT880/600? Second one is on my wishlist to check. I personally bought SRH940 for comparision also.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #883 of 4,010

Quote:

You're not that old--because I'm not that old and I still buy everything on CD.

As for Radiohead, I dunno, it sounds like Radiohead has always sounded to me lol. You guys must have bat ears or something.

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #884 of 4,010

Quote:
Just listening to this Paatos now, not bad. Sorta trip-hoppy and hazy (or maybe that's just the video's poor audio quality). Bet it'd make for good stuff to drift off to sleep to.

is because of youtube, their studio albums has a very good mix and SQ, kallocain and breathing are my favorites. and yes good stuff for those relaxed days.

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #885 of 4,010

Quote:

Just read the review.  I auditioned both together for a couple of weeks.  I think Joker pretty much nailed it, and realistically, the two are a tie.  I ended up keeping the DT1350, and a coworker was thrilled to get my HD-25-1 II's - he didn't like the DT1350's as well as the HD25's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back