New Beyer DT1350
May 27, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #362 of 4,010
hmm thats more reliable opinion! I currently use vintage dt880/600 which I found overall better than dt880pro/250. If bass is something like between 880 and 990 thats great news. What about  scene - much smaller? Can you describe weaker sound points comparing to 880/990 fullsize? What about comfort, read: small pads and closed build:)
I just dont want to buy headphones which sound too bassy or too dark - dt880 won with hd650, ultrasone proline 2500 and grado 325is. most beautiful vocals were on hd650, most reallistic on grado but overall both sounded too bassy or warm. Bass and mids are described as headphones for me but what about highs?

I have audio gd DI - DAC PCM1796 with tubes building - matrix m stage and thinking about using them more at home than as portable. Just very curious about comparisions to older fullsize brothers and other respected cans:)

May 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #363 of 4,010

Quote:
hmm thats more reliable opinion! I currently use vintage dt880/600 which I found overall better than dt880pro/250. If bass is something like between 880 and 990 thats great news. What about  scene - much smaller? Can you describe weaker sound points comparing to 880/990 fullsize? What about comfort, read: small pads and closed build:)
I just dont want to buy headphones which sound too bassy or too dark - dt880 won with hd650, ultrasone proline 2500 and grado 325is. most beautiful vocals were on hd650, most reallistic on grado but overall both sounded too bassy or warm. Bass and mids are described as headphones for me but what about highs?

I have audio gd DI - DAC PCM1796 with tubes building - matrix m stage and thinking about using them more at home than as portable. Just very curious about comparisions to older fullsize brothers and other respected cans:)

Don't worry, I wouldn't call them too bassy or too dark. The sound is very balanced to my ears. Something that reminds me of my DT880. Imagine a closed DT880 with smaller earcups and tighter fit and you might have something which comes close to the DT1350.

May 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #364 of 4,010
Zibra,  I currently owned the newer version of the HD650 and the Alessandro MS2i and I prefer both to my previously owned DT800 - DT990. I don't know if it was the synergy  (Or lack of) with my amplifier at he time (MAD EAR+ & Matrix M-Stage both source by Dacport) but I found the 880 lifeless. They had very good details and loved the high and the Bass was good (With Raytheon tube) but didn't give me the same immersive sensation while listening to music that I know very well. The DT990 was to Bassy for me and the MID were to recess. I traded the DT990 for the HD650 and also upgraded the cable to get better speed and clarity (I didn't experienced the veil sound with my amp but based on a lot of reading I new that a would loved a SPC base cable or pure silver) I also traded the DT880 for the MS2i and loved them for Rock and live acoustic album. The HD650 are very good with acoustic too.

Now for the DT1350, I went from Beyer T50p to the Audio Technica ESW9 and now the DT1350 and so far after about 100 hours of burn in I like them a lot. I found them comfortable (I have a small head and Bald) with a tight fit but the metal band can be adjusted to your liking. The pads are much better then T50p pads and I don't have problem finding the perfect position compared to T50p. I found the sound signature to be well balanced with good bass impact but just right to my taste (I'm no Bass-head but appreciate good quality bass) and after burn-in the bass get more refined with good layer definition. For me I prefer the DT1350 balanced signature to the DT800-DT990 and like you I favor good MID presence. My experience as been listening primarily from the Dacport DAC/Amp. I have not tried them on my Tube amplifier but I remember that T50p sounding very good. Maybe I'll try that on the weekend.  Again this is my experience and do not consider myself an audiophile. Just someone that really enjoy the emotions and sensations from well reproduce music. Cheers!

May 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #365 of 4,010
thank you for your comparision. looks like I have to listen to it by myself and decide is it "upgrade" from fullsize dt880/600 or just the same with some advantages and disadvantages. hd 650 sounded nice on bass but rest was too dark and not resolving. I prefer much more clarity and holographic scene with rich mids and perfect quality bass. but I think that would be hi end :))

May 27, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #366 of 4,010

Quote:
thank you for your comparision. looks like I have to listen to it by myself and decide is it "upgrade" from fullsize dt880/600 or just the same with some advantages and disadvantages. hd 650 sounded nice on bass but rest was too dark and not resolving. I prefer much more clarity and holographic scene with rich mids and perfect quality bass. but I think that would be hi end :))

I wouldn't call the DT1350 an "upgrade" to the DT880... The DT1350 is amazing that it can deliver similar qualities of the DT880 while keeping portability in mind. It isolates well, doesn't leak too much sound and has a portable design. When I'm at home though, I'd rather listen to my DT880. The open sound and circumaural design makes it more comfortable and a bit more enjoyable to listen to.

If you simply want to upgrade your headphones for home, I'd suggest looking elsewhere (Maybe the Beyerdynamic T1?).

May 27, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #367 of 4,010
thats why Im asking if theres improvement on bass, richer mids or even better highs, amplificaton dependant etc. Its matter of taste. for example I bought vintage dt880/600 which have similiar signature to dt880/250 but for some aspects I prefer them to newest ones. I dont expect huge difference, but I think there are some "details" which allow to choose perfect headphones for us.
Like maybe those tesla drivers are generally better than older in dt version etc etc.
If theres almost no improvement I could live with cheap vintage - Im just terrible curious :))

May 27, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #369 of 4,010
Quote:
thats why Im asking if theres improvement on bass, richer mids or even better highs, amplificaton dependant etc. Its matter of taste. for example I bought vintage dt880/600 which have similiar signature to dt880/250 but for some aspects I prefer them to newest ones. I dont expect huge difference, but I think there are some "details" which allow to choose perfect headphones for us.
Like maybe those tesla drivers are generally better than older in dt version etc etc.
If theres almost no improvement I could live with cheap vintage - Im just terrible curious :))

Are you going to use them at home or on the road? If it's for portable use, the DT1350 might be for you. If not, then maybe you should wait for the Beyerdynamic T70?

May 27, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #370 of 4,010

My HD650 with the Apuresound V3 cable doesn't sound to dark and I've got great detail with good imaging. That is with my tube amp and/or HDP with Sigma 11 PSU.

May 27, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #371 of 4,010

Quote:
Don't worry, I wouldn't call them too bassy or too dark. The sound is very balanced to my ears. Something that reminds me of my DT880. Imagine a closed DT880 with smaller earcups and tighter fit and you might have something which comes close to the DT1350.

I think a word I would ascribe to the DT1350 sound is "seamless". All the frequency ranges seem to be joined together as one, not separate bass, midrange and treble. A very tight sound. Not bright, not dull, not laid back and certainly not harsh.

But, as I previously mentioned, they always sound a bit "odd" or "pinched" when you first listen (or resume listening the next day). Usually my ear and brain are "set and prepared" for whatever 'phone I was last listening to. But the DT1350 always seems to require a "reset".

May 28, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #373 of 4,010
How much does these headphones continue to open up! I think the mids changes a lot with burn in and comes forward and the bass becomes more defined. I am only at 50 hours....

May 28, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #374 of 4,010
My opinion about HD650 is only comparing to Beyers, which sound I prefer. On the contrary I can say Beyers sound flat and lifeless, without energy comparing to HD650.
I listened also grado 325is with modded pads and I liked it much, but bass quality wasnt good enough for me. If dt1350 are kings of great quality bass and sound similiar to grado it could be my cup of tea:)

May 28, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #375 of 4,010
They don't even sound close to any Grado I have ever heard.

Quote:
just have a question for DT1350 owners... I saw in videos that you can swivel the earcups sideways (just like the HD25-1 II). How are you supposed to do that? In the demos I've seen, it seemed to swivel with little to no force. When I try it, it seems stuck. I don't want to break it by putting to much force behind it. Am I missing something?

The first time it's quite hard but after that it will move very smoothly. Just apply enough force, nothing to be afraid of.

m00h

Users who are viewing this thread

Back