New Beyer DT1350
Jun 26, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #3,931 of 4,010
So, the $170 massdrop deal is just about over. At first it seemed to only be for the coiled cable version (which I'm not interested in), but now it is for either the coiled or the straight cable. So now I have to conjure up my powers of resistance again. Let's see... it would work out to $221CN - do I want to spend that kinda money right now? What else... oh yeah, I recall the clamping really bugged me after a while. Ok, so the resistance is working for the moment. As long as none of you punks respond and try to convince me to get them, I might get through the next 8 hours!

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #3,933 of 4,010
Just picked up pair--finally--of these.
Maybe the DT-1350 will restore my faltering confidence in Beyerdynamic.
[I have not liked the DT880/250 ohm, the DT770/600 ohm, DT990/600 ohm or the Tesla T-1.  The last set of Beyers liked were the DT880/600 ohm.  The last set of Beyers I really liked were the DT880/203 version.] 

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #3,934 of 4,010
The DT-1350's flimsy-looking/-feeling, non-detachable cable seems like a major drawback already.
Soundstage is roomier than the diminutive earcups would initially suggest.
Detailed, open and airy presentation, but with lean mids, a somewhat hot, borderline edgy but fairly extended treble [at least on this side of break-in] and a more "clinical" than "musical" overall rendition.  Bass, at this point, sounds a bit diffuse/a little out-of-focus.
I do like the retro, early '50s science fiction styling, though.
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #3,936 of 4,010
Any word about break-in time time for the DT-1350?
Right now the bass sounds fat and the treble incoherent--like the upper treble is disjoint from the lower treble.  Vocals sound weird, like they are out of phase.  Mid-to-upper treble can sound hot and over tipped.

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #3,937 of 4,010
This does not sound like what I hear from the DT1350... neither had I ever the impression of overly fat bass nor of hot treble. Do you have any chance to compare them to another pair?

I've had two sets of pads and each got better after around 2 weeks of daily usage, i.e. seal and therefore bass response/extension got better.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #3,939 of 4,010
The treble sounds unnatural to me, like it did with the T1.
I will try to exchange the DT-1350 I currently have for another pair, but I am none too impressed so far.
After the DT880/250 2003 version, Beyer has not produced a set of headphones nearly to my liking.

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #3,941 of 4,010
  Dealer has very nicely agreed to exchange these DT1350 for another pair.
Time . . . and my ears . . . will tell . . . 
But without an exchangeable cable, it doesn't look good for the Beyers.

The fixed cable is the one bummer I have with the DT1350.  I had to send mine to BTG Audio for a balanced recable.  I wouldn't suggest doing the same, as you are in doubt about the sound signature.  I'm 100% satisfied the DT1350 sound...

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #3,942 of 4,010
To my ears, the harman/kardon CL with Marc Tunis [silver-plated copper] re-cable easily outperformed the DT1350 in practically every category. 
The original MSRP on the DT1350 really has me scratching my head, too.
So far, on a best-to-worst listing of the portables I currently own, the Beyers lie conspicuously at the bottom.

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,943 of 4,010
  To my ears, the harman/kardon CL with Marc Tunis [silver-plated copper] re-cable easily outperformed the DT1350 in practically every category. 
The original MSRP on the DT1350 really has me scratching my head, too.
So far, on a best-to-worst listing of the portables I currently own, the Beyers lie conspicuously at the bottom.

Then why do you keep buying them? 
rolleyes.gif

It's like people who complain after every Marvel film...yet they keep going to see them. I've never understood that mentality. Lots of other products out there to enjoy. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #3,944 of 4,010
Keep buying what . . .
the DT1350?  This is the first time.
Beyerdynamic products in general?  I keep asking myself the same question.
After the DT880/2003 version--which I regard as a mid-fi "classic"--and, as it turns out with the exception of the DT880/600 ohm version, I would have done well not to.
After the DT1350, unfortunately, I may very well not subscribe to anything further from Beyerdynamic.
Since the advent of the Tesla line, subsequent to the introduction of the Premium DT line, I think I have been waiting for Beyerdynamic to "redeem" itself and recapture some of the pre-2005 techno-musical magic that I had always previously associated with that august German namebrand. 

Then again, it could be a matter of burn-in--either physically real or psychoacoustically imagined--before these headphones turn the corner and begin to wow me like they do the majority of Head-Fi subscribers.

We'll see.
On deck are the DT1350, the MT-220, the CL, the Mikros 90 [my reigning favorites] and the PM-3.  The MT-220 and the DT-1350 without replacable cables puts them at a decided disadvantage AFAIAC.
Meanwhile the DT1350 are running 24/7 from my HT receiver until the a/b/c/d/e comparisons begin.  

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #3,945 of 4,010
Nice to hear that your vendor will exchange your unit. If the other one sounds better -- good. But there's of course still a chance that they're simply not to your taste... many people love their Grados -- I can't stand them. Check out your exchange unit and, if it still does not sound good to you, just move on. There's nothing wrong about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back