New Beyer DT1350
Nov 19, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #3,962 of 4,010
So I am just going to leave it here...

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #3,963 of 4,010
Waiting is required ... but Massdrop has a drop going for even less.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #3,965 of 4,010
Hi Everyone!

I have read more than 100 of the 250 pages of this thread already and have seen a few posts about comfort with the 1350s already but I wanted to see if the comfort aspect did indeed get better over a few weeks or if you have any recommendations short of ordering the new velour ear pads and bending the frames out a bit. I got the dt1350 in a lightning deal on Amazon for $147 after tax and shipping during black friday and received them last week. I have really enjoyed their sound signature on a Fiio E07k Andes and an Ibasso D4 Mamba USB DAC (The Fiio is so much better sounding!) but I just can't wear them for more than an hour and a half without pretty intense ear pain. I have  pretty large ears (which is great as a professional violist/violinist/orchestra director who edits audio frequently) and an XL size head so I got these looking for some highly portable on ear cans that sound better than my Bose QC 15 (which the DT1350 totally blow out of the water) but also don't overheat my head like my fullsize Audiotechnica ATH-A700 headphones do. As a classical musician who plays in professional orchestras I have to hear all the individual instruments in recordings while doing score study and I'm really impressed with the 1350s in their separation, balance, and soundstage for such small speakers and drivers, I just can't get over the comfort factor. I really don't want to drop another $45 on the velour ear pads from the UK and wait for the shipping for a minor increase in comfort but I don't think I'll find headphones anywhere near as good as these at this price point aside from IEM's, which are usually worse than on ears and fullsize headphones in the sub $200 range in my experience. Do you guys have any other tips or do you know of any small, closed cans similar to the 1350s that would be more comfy and still get a solid sound signature for classical/jazz/vocal music?

Thanks!

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #3,966 of 4,010
  Hi Everyone!

I have read more than 100 of the 250 pages of this thread already and have seen a few posts about comfort with the 1350s already but I wanted to see if the comfort aspect did indeed get better over a few weeks or if you have any recommendations short of ordering the new velour ear pads and bending the frames out a bit. I got the dt1350 in a lightning deal on Amazon for $147 after tax and shipping during black friday and received them last week. I have really enjoyed their sound signature on a Fiio E07k Andes and an Ibasso D4 Mamba USB DAC (The Fiio is so much better sounding!) but I just can't wear them for more than an hour and a half without pretty intense ear pain. I have  pretty large ears (which is great as a professional violist/violinist/orchestra director who edits audio frequently) and an XL size head so I got these looking for some highly portable on ear cans that sound better than my Bose QC 15 (which the DT1350 totally blow out of the water) but also don't overheat my head like my fullsize Audiotechnica ATH-A700 headphones do. As a classical musician who plays in professional orchestras I have to hear all the individual instruments in recordings while doing score study and I'm really impressed with the 1350s in their separation, balance, and soundstage for such small speakers and drivers, I just can't get over the comfort factor. I really don't want to drop another $45 on the velour ear pads from the UK and wait for the shipping for a minor increase in comfort but I don't think I'll find headphones anywhere near as good as these at this price point aside from IEM's, which are usually worse than on ears and fullsize headphones in the sub $200 range in my experience. Do you guys have any other tips or do you know of any small, closed cans similar to the 1350s that would be more comfy and still get a solid sound signature for classical/jazz/vocal music?

Thanks!

Give the AKG K545 a try.   They sound almost as good as the DT1350 (assuming you love that signature)...and they are 1,000,000 times more comfortable.   

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #3,967 of 4,010
  Hi Everyone!

I have read more than 100 of the 250 pages of this thread already and have seen a few posts about comfort with the 1350s already but I wanted to see if the comfort aspect did indeed get better over a few weeks or if you have any recommendations short of ordering the new velour ear pads and bending the frames out a bit. 

In my experience, no. After half an hour of listening time, they start hurting my ears no matter what I do, no matter how many weeks I spent with it. Velour pads is the ultimate solution. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #3,968 of 4,010
  In my experience, no. After half an hour of listening time, they start hurting my ears no matter what I do, no matter how many weeks I spent with it. Velour pads is the ultimate solution. 

True.

I stretched the headband on my old DT1350, which I compared to a brand new model I had at hand recently.   The older model was way more comfortable than the new unit (less clamping force)...but even now, after using the one with the stretched headband for more than 30 minutes, my ears start to complain.    The good thing is that if I remove the headphone for a little bit (maybe a minute or so), I can use the DT1350 for another 30 minutes or so.  

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #3,969 of 4,010
Thanks for the input! I'm not a huge fan of velour pads due to the fact that I sweat a lot and they turn into ear muffs if you're gaming or wearing them for long periods of time. I found a thread of a guy who put T51p pads on his 1350s to great result and the specs can be found here; he did a very thorough job. hxxp://audio-gizmo.com/beyerdynamic-dt1350-with-t51p-earpad-mod-full-review/

From a visual aspect only the 51p pads look so much more comfortable and closer to my comfy bose QC15 ear pads so I ordered them from a place in Utah for $30 with free shipping and will report how they sound when they come in next week. The issue is that I am applying for graduate schools for a masters in music music performance and pedagogy so all my money is going into the applications/travel/loans and I really can't afford $200+ headphones.If the 51p pads don't work well I'll RMA them and may just return the headphones because while I like them in every other regard I can't listen to a 3+ hour Symphony or opera that I'm studying with uncomfy cans or having the hassle of taking them off every 30 minutes. It kinda sucks that Beyer couldn't be bothered to put nicer pads on these great headphones for those of us with big heads!

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #3,970 of 4,010

Give the AKG K545 a try.   They sound almost as good as the DT1350 (assuming you love that signature)...and they are 1,000,000 times more comfortable.   

Traitor :wink:
But now I have to try the K545...

Thanks for the input! I'm not a huge fan of velour pads due to the fact that I sweat a lot and they turn into ear muffs if you're gaming or wearing them for long periods of time. I found a thread of a guy who put T51p pads on his 1350s to great result and the specs can be found here; he did a very thorough job. hxxp://audio-gizmo.com/beyerdynamic-dt1350-with-t51p-earpad-mod-full-review/

From a visual aspect only the 51p pads look so much more comfortable and closer to my comfy bose QC15 ear pads so I ordered them from a place in Utah for $30 with free shipping and will report how they sound when they come in next week. The issue is that I am applying for graduate schools for a masters in music music performance and pedagogy so all my money is going into the applications/travel/loans and I really can't afford $200+ headphones.If the 51p pads don't work well I'll RMA them and may just return the headphones because while I like them in every other regard I can't listen to a 3+ hour Symphony or opera that I'm studying with uncomfy cans or having the hassle of taking them off every 30 minutes. It kinda sucks that Beyer couldn't be bothered to put nicer pads on these great headphones for those of us with big heads!

The pads are part of the overall design I guess... robustness and isolation was more important than the last bit of comfort as they are targeting field sound engineers and DJs.
I don't know if the much softer T51p pads play well with the higher clamping force of the DT1350 frame...

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #3,971 of 4,010
Do you guys have any recommendations for over ear headphones with similar sound signature to the 1350s that aren't massive and would be able to be transported fairly easily? I mostly listen to classical music but if these t51p pads don't end up working I will probably send these back. Any recommendations would be awesome, especially if you own over ear phones and the 1350s. 

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #3,972 of 4,010
So I got the Beyer t51p pads today from Performance Audio LLC in Utah and only changed one pad at first so that I could compare them comfort wise of them from the stock 1350 pads and I'm really happy with them! I've been wearing the headphones for like an hour and they're a solid 40% more comfortable than the stock pads, a little smaller so they fit nicer on top of your ear and they they sound nearly identical to the stock pads with my with my Fiio E07k USB amp. The isolation is nearly the same as the stock pads and I didn't notice a drastic change in sound signature. The T51p pads are significantly squishier and overall fell like they are much higher quality leather than the stock pads. After replacing both pads my ears are finally happy wearing these now comfy amazing sounding headphones! If there are any cons I feel like these pads ever so slightly reduced the punch of the mids but I feel like they actually improved the expansiveness and sound stage of the 1350, so the trade off is totally worth it for me! If you hate velour grab the 51p pads and you won't be sorry with them if you have a big head and big ears like I do :)

t51p on the bottom, stock pads on the top. They're less shiny and so much more comfy!

t51p pads on the bottom again, with the stock on top.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #3,973 of 4,010
  So I got the Beyer t51p pads today from Performance Audio LLC in Utah and only changed one pad at first so that I could compare

t51p pads on the bottom again, with the stock on top.

The T51p seem to be a little thicker.   Is that the main difference which leads to an increase in comfort?

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #3,975 of 4,010
Yeah, it's softer and about the same thickness, which adds to the comfort. It still hurts my ears but after about an hour longer than they used to, so I'm hoping that as I wear them a lot more theyll get more worn in and feel even more comfy. I love gaming with these, I can hear exactly where enemies are from halfway across the map and it makes the games a lot easier actually (and scarier for horror games!) I'll report back again in a week or so when I've used them more; they're actually christmas presents for me and I opened them early to try to fix the ear cups. Some people have said either you get used to it or they improve when they stretch out a bit and both would be fine with me because they sound really really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back