New Beyer DT1350
Jul 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #3,406 of 4,010
Interesting info, thanks.

The Amperior has been discontinued? Well that was quick..... That kind of sucks. I don't really need them but I wonder if I should grab some before they're all gone. vminnovations.com has them for $136 and $147 refurbished and $179 for new ones in silver. Tempting.

http://vminnovations.com/search/index.html?q=amperior

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #3,409 of 4,010
Quote:
Interesting info, thanks.

The Amperior has been discontinued? Well that was quick..... That kind of sucks. I don't really need them but I wonder if I should grab some before they're all gone. vminnovations.com has them for $136 and $147 refurbished and $179 for new ones in silver. Tempting.

http://vminnovations.com/search/index.html?q=amperior

I feel they're certainly worth the price at around two bills or less. I honestly just expected these to be something more than they were. Don't get me wrong, they do sound very good, but given how many Sennheiser fans are on here, I had them on a bit of a pedestal. Spending more time with them last night, it really helps me to even further appreciate the low end on the 1350s. The Amperiors low end is quite good, but to my ears they fall short of the Beyers. It's not bloated at all, but it's not quite as clean as I expected. If I had never heard the 1350s, I'd be very impressed with these...well, let me re-phrase...I AM impressed with them, but given that they listed for more than the 1350s, I feel the fall short in a head's up comparison. Contrast that with the brief demo I had of the HD800s a few weeks ago, which I felt were very impressive and certainly in the same ballpark as my T1s. 

But yeah, with these being on the way out, I feel they're a solid buy at two bills or less....but if I had paid what the Apple store was selling them for when they first hit the market (they had exclusivity, IIRC), I would have taken them back. 

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #3,410 of 4,010
Quote:
I'm interested in hearing those, as I prefer the original HD25 over the Amperior.

I'd be really interested to hear the original HD25s, cause I remember you saying previously that you liked them a bit better than the Amperiors. 

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #3,411 of 4,010
What it is is that to my ears, the HD25 sound more neutral and more natural. The Amps were just too aggressive and fatiguing to my ears after a while. They punch me while the HDs make me groove. Also despite having a weighty warm low end, the mids and highs seemed more forward and brighter. Female vocals did not sound very natural. I enjoyed them while I had them but after a while it was just too much. When I reacquired another pair of HDs, I was very content with the sound and realized I wouldn't want to change it. It's got it's flaws - what I think would be great to improve on are the soundstage, slightly peaky highs, a bit more subbass and perhaps overall refinement. But for the most part, I think they do more things right than they do wrong which is why I love them. Got a soft spot for them for sure.

Anyway, having spent a lot of time with both of these cans, I'm led to believe that what made the biggest difference were the drivers. Just my opinion. It's why I'm intrigued by the HD25 Aluminum, that is if they do indeed share the same drivers.

Another can I'm interested in = KEF M500.

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #3,412 of 4,010
Quote:
What it is is that to my ears, the HD25 sound more neutral and more natural. The Amps were just too aggressive and fatiguing to my ears after a while. They punch me while the HDs make me groove. Also despite having a weighty warm low end, the mids and highs seemed more forward and brighter. Female vocals did not sound very natural. I enjoyed them while I had them but after a while it was just too much. When I reacquired another pair of HDs, I was very content with the sound and realized I wouldn't want to change it. It's got it's flaws - what I think would be great to improve on are the soundstage, slightly peaky highs, a bit more subbass and perhaps overall refinement. But for the most part, I think they do more things right than they do wrong which is why I love them. Got a soft spot for them for sure.

Anyway, having spent a lot of time with both of these cans, I'm led to believe that what made the biggest difference were the drivers. Just my opinion. It's why I'm intrigued by the HD25 Aluminum, that is if they do indeed share the same drivers.

Kef has come out with some very interesting products as of late, so I'd love to hear their headphones, as well. 

Jul 21, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #3,413 of 4,010
Quote:

KEF M500 is killing me (as in, I am having a hard time resisting it!).

Jul 21, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #3,414 of 4,010
Going to be very interesting to hear reviews about the facelift DT-1350s. I just couldn't get a good seal with the originals, either with the standard earpads or after investing in another $55 for the nubuck earpads. They turned out to be my worst headphone investment ever. I have been bewildered by the continuing glowing reports on the 1350s with few people having my problems. I know I have large ears but they don't stick out and to date no other headphone has given me seal issues like them.

The HD25s that I passed over initially and later purchased gave me no such problem, although I've moved them on in favour of other phones a bit more fun sounding. I'm back with Amperiors again and enjoying them more second time around.

Hope they've fixed them but I am unlikely to give them a second chance I'm afraid.

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #3,415 of 4,010
Quote:
I've been interested in adding another high quality portable, and the Sennheiser Amperiors always intrigued me. I saw they dropped in price on Amazon, so I picked up a pair. They are slightly more comfortable than the 1350s (although the new 1350s will likely balance this out) and the sound stage is a bit larger. I do feel they're worth about two bills, which is what I paid, but they didn't knock my 1350s off the throne.

Have you tried the Momentum?  It almost dethroned my 1350s...but the little Beyers held on to the title by just a hair.

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #3,416 of 4,010
Quote:

Have you tried the Momentum?  It almost dethroned my 1350s...but the little Beyers held on to the title by just a hair.

Haven't heard them yet, nope...they're a bit more than I want to spend for another portable since it would be for a secondary purpose. That was mainly why I went with the Amperiors since the price dropped into my happy zone. At some point I'd like to hear them, though. One of these days I'll find a Sennheiser that i really like lol. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #3,417 of 4,010
Quote:
I've been interested in adding another high quality portable, and the Sennheiser Amperiors always intrigued me. I saw they dropped in price on Amazon, so I picked up a pair. They are slightly more comfortable than the 1350s (although the new 1350s will likely balance this out) and the sound stage is a bit larger. I do feel they're worth about two bills, which is what I paid, but they didn't knock my 1350s off the throne. I was surprised most by the build quality. They look and feel far less sturdy than the Beyers, and it's very annoying when I try to adjust the ear cups while on my head. They slide up and down the slotted plastic on each side that I thought I pulled one ear cup completely off. Thankfully the sound is quite good, even if not quite up to par with the 1350s, IMO. If I would have paid full retail, I probably would send them back, but at this price they are a solid value. I believe the line has been discontinued, so if anyone is interested in them you may want to get them quick.

Sounds like you got a good deal, as they are currently over $300 on amazon.com (and $350 on amazon.ca, where I would have to get them from).

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #3,418 of 4,010
Quote:

Sounds like you got a good deal, as they are currently over $300 on amazon.com (and $350 on amazon.ca, where I would have to get them from).

Yeah, it was really too good to pass up. I've really been wanting to get a Sennheiser in here just cause it didn't feel right NOT to, lol...my first experience wasn't very positive, so I'm glad that the Amperiors are much more to my liking even if they fell a bit short of expectations. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #3,419 of 4,010
Quote:

Yeah, it was really too good to pass up. I've really been wanting to get a Sennheiser in here just cause it didn't feel right NOT to, lol...my first experience wasn't very positive, so I'm glad that the Amperiors are much more to my liking even if they fell a bit short of expectations. 

Maybe a cable upgrade will take them from good to awesome...

I did that with my HD25s, and I was blown away.

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #3,420 of 4,010
Quote:

I've found the Momentum to be inferior to the DT1350 by quite a margin... Their sound seems to be highly dependent on whether you can fit your ears within the cups (i.e. wear them around-ear as intended) or on-ear (as in my case) which makes them sound quite muddy and rather dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back