New Beyer DT1350
Sep 21, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #2,597 of 4,010
Quote:
Cute puppy. I almost thought it's a headphone stand. :D

That was part of our arrangement....when I take them off to use the bathroom or grab a brewski, he has to hold them for me until I get back lol. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #2,598 of 4,010
Quote:
Thats a cute picture Focker, nice looking pup too!
Does he fetch them for you too? Or just wear and chew on them? 
dt880smile.png

lol, hopefully the "chewing" part is over and done with! 

Roma: his personality is amazing...I've always been a dog lover and raised them since I was a kid, but honestly this little rescue pup is pretty special. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #2,599 of 4,010
I did a search in here for "HA-S500" but didn't get any hits. Does anyone have any thoughts relating to how the JVC HA-S500 compares to the DT1350?

Fyi, here is a thread with HA-S500 fanatics that are almost as rabid as the DT1350 fanatics lol!:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes

Dr J has something to say about them compared to the DT1350:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/930#post_8649237

Quote:
- very good detail and soundstage for on-ears in my opinion. Comparing to Beyer DT1350 and Pioneer HDJ2000, the JVCs are almost contenders, not quite but amazingly close for the price. Almost a tie with my ATH-M50s with velour pads and additional foam to tone down upper mids. Bought a 2nd pair of JVCs for the value for money.

As much as I like what I've read about the DT1350's, I'd be happy to save myself $200 if the HA-S500's are close.

Lemme know what you think!

Thanks,

Wayne

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #2,600 of 4,010
I bought some AKG Q701s this week and they showed up yesterday. I've been playing around with them a bit and so far they are really good for movies but the 1350s are much more to my liking for music. These headphones just refuse to give in to their label of "portables" with me...Iv'e already felt they bested my Grado 325s, which I really liked a lot....they are a step up over the DT880/600s, IMO....and so far they are a much fuller and more enjoyable presentation with music over the Q701s. They just continue to impress. I'm going to keep giving the 701s an opportunity to shine, cause even though I don't care for the build quality I do like the comfort. The have a nice sound stage and lots of detail for movies, but even with my Meier Jazz they just aren't quite there with music. Just my opinion and preferences of course, but I'm just so glad that I took a chance on the 1350s. These are just fantastic headphones. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #2,601 of 4,010
Funny I just got some new cans yesterday myself - the underrated German Maestro GMP 8.35 D. I wonder what you guys would think of them.

They're quite neutral while still remaining very musical. Good detail all around as well. I'm very impressed at the bass extension and there's good instrument separation. Vocals are right where I want them to be, not forward or recessed. Not a very wide soundstage but not as narrow as an HD25. So far these are just amazing portable circumaurals (my pair is much more portable now that the coiled cable is replaced with a shorter straight cable) to my ears and they have a very badass, industrial look to them. Built like a tanks and isolation is very solid - almost as good as the HD25 and DT1350. And they're pretty damn comfortable.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #2,602 of 4,010
Quote:
Funny I just got some new cans yesterday myself - the underrated German Maestro GMP 8.35 D. I wonder what you guys would think of them.
They're quite neutral while still remaining very musical. Good detail all around as well. I'm very impressed at the bass extension and there's good instrument separation. Vocals are right where I want them to be, not forward or recessed. Not a very wide soundstage but not as narrow as an HD25. So far these are just amazing portable circumaurals (my pair is much more portable now that the coiled cable is replaced with a shorter straight cable) to my ears and they have a very badass, industrial look to them. Built like a tanks and isolation is very solid - almost as good as the HD25 and DT1350. And they're pretty damn comfortable.

http://www.german-maestro.de/US/logic.htm

Interesting!!

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #2,605 of 4,010
Hey guys, sorry to cut in. Is it just me or DT1350's did poorly on distortion guitar sounds. Or should I say differently instead of poorly. They sound thicker and dull (unrealistic), not too much difference, but there is a difference that makes me realise there's something wrong everytime there's distortion guitar. Wonder if there's any EQing possible for this problem? I don't know how to describe it, the guitar details are there, just not as refine as it should be. A little congested. Maybe a tad warm. What contributes to this? The spikes at 7k? 

Edit 1:
Ignore the above, it is an alpha impression and shouldn't be a guideline for newbies. 

Going through this thread and other reviews online, I noticed many have mentioned guitars are poorly rendered with the DT1350's. After a thoughtful listening for an hour or so. I've found out that that is absolutely not the case.
I think I found out the difference, the DT1350's are more tube-like sounding than solid state sounding. At first, I was looking for another sound that I get from most other headphones. I am just used to listening to twangy telecasters and a sharper sounding Dimebag Darrell sound signature from his solid state amp. I, myself, own SS guitar amps, so I am used to the sound. Imagine the "modern" sounding guitar distortions with crisp and clear distortion. SS amps tend to be similar in tone all around, and that's what I hear from other headphones. Now on DT1350's, different songs gives different tones. And my brain adjusts itself automatically 1 minute into the song. I read a comment before where the poster said he couldn't describe why, but he needed to adjust himself to like the sound of DT1350's everyday. Maybe this is the case. And the warmth as I mentioned before, there's a lot of it. It almost sounded wrong to my ears as I am used to bright sounding distortions that screams instead of controlled. Guitar sounds thick and heavy, this is what guitarist or tube-elitist look for. And most of my songs, the guitarists uses tube-powered-amps. I realise only distortion guitar sounded different on the DT1350's. Clean guitars sound good as usual, as good as it's mids. I mentioned earlier it's a tad congested, well this is true for it's not so wide soundstage, but for guitar sounds, I think the word is compress. Like tube amps, they tend to compress peaky signals, and rounds it off. This is what I am hearing from the DT1350's. It is a good thing. I tried to EQ the 2k and 7k region and it tends to sound screamy and SS-like. End up, going back to no-EQ setting. To cut it short, I conclude that, the DT1350's are actual very true to the source. It shows when your songs are low-bitrate codecs, I find the distortion guitar sounds too compressed. When your songs are high-bitrate, they are true to the source and sounds amazing. 

This is a short review particularly for distortion guitar sounds on the DT1350's. Hope I nailed it. I am a beginner in audiophile world and wouldn't dare call myself an audiophile. I am just a guitarist/bassist who enjoys music. :D

Yep, gotta love them German headphones!

+1. Haha...

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #2,606 of 4,010
Oooh, a headphone I know nothing about and cannot audition...
Pass for now.

Quote:
Hey guys, sorry to cut in. Is it just me or DT1350's did poorly on distortion guitar sounds. Or should I say differently instead of poorly. They sound thicker and dull (unrealistic), not too much difference, but there is a difference that makes me realise there's something wrong everytime there's distortion guitar. Wonder if there's any EQing possible for this problem? I don't know how to describe it, the guitar details are there, just not as refine as it should be. A little congested. Maybe a tad warm. What contributes to this? The spikes at 7k? 
DT1350 has no tube sound at all, no excess of harmonic distortion, does not compress at all.

What you're hearing is the 2-3kHz dip in these - that's the range used by many electric guitars for overtones and distortion.
(And unless you have a HRTF like mine that requires a huge 4k dip, that too.)

Equalization helps a lot with this.

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #2,607 of 4,010
So who can manage more than an hour with these then?

I'm scared to stretch the headband. I had placed them on a bike helmet all night, that helped slightly.

Any hope for these when it comes to comfort? Don't really want to be loosing out on toooo much isolation, but it's very negotiable. Also if the low end bass can be effected by this.

Sep 22, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #2,608 of 4,010
Quote:
So who can manage more than an hour with these then?

I'm scared to stretch the headband. I had placed them on a bike helmet all night, that helped slightly.

Any hope for these when it comes to comfort? Don't really want to be loosing out on toooo much isolation, but it's very negotiable. Also if the low end bass can be effected by this.

It's different for everyone.  Personally, I can wear them for 2-3 hours with no problems.  Comfort has become a non-issue.  

It took about 2 weeks for that to happen (pad break-in).  

Sep 22, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #2,610 of 4,010
For me its also ~2-3h, but in my optinion comfort got better over time. I did stretch the headband a bit and the pads got softer with usage. Definitely not the most comfortable headphones I owned, but not bad for on-ears...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back