New Beyer DT1350
Sep 18, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #2,566 of 4,010
Quote:
this is simply not true. And if for you this was indeed the case then you had a faulty pair. These were the worst headphones you ever head and tried them for months? And just what were you doing with them over the months? Did you think they would suddenly become good heaphones overnight from the worst you ever heard?  i mean seroiusly if your gonna troll at least make it believable. The bass is huge on these, and overall the sound is full of body.

Troll? Nah. I'm too old for that.

No, they were just bad. Now whether they were a bad batch or not, I have no way of knowing. But I surely won't buy another pair to find out.

And as I told, YMMV.

It's just very sad how emotional some people get when you criticize their favorite pair of headphones :)

And yes, I know Tyll likes them and I respectfully disagree with him and the rest of you. It's nice if you like them, good for you :)

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2,567 of 4,010
Hey guys, finally my DT1350's are here. 
beyersmile.png

Here's a little unboxing pics.

Here's a little write out of my adventure with these little beyers.
Went to the store and tested these little phones out, smaller than I expected. When I put it on, the sound was "smaller" than I expected too. Probably the noisy surrounding. I tried adjusting it as I recall people saying the fit is really important (I am skeptical at that, I believe a good pair of phones doesn't need to be adjusted everytime). I press on the cups and get better bass quantity, and I told my friends, wow if I'd get that bass on any tries I'll grab it. I tested some Rage Against The Machines and Jamiroquai. On busy songs on Jamiroquai like Do It Like We Used To Do, they're boxy and congested as I've heard from reviews. From songs of RATM, like How I Could Just Kill A Man, I could hear the guitar sounding really really sterile. My ears bleed just from it. Apart from all the bad things, I do really appreciate the mids, though a little forward, I like it as it gives that orgasmic vibe once a while. 
I tried out many other headphones and I recall myself loving the Grado's, DT 770 and Shure SRH 840's more than the little beyers. But I couldn't get that upfront mids from them. After trying out for over an hour (pity my friends for waiting but they had fun too), I told myself "**** it I am going for it." 
Oh I forgot to mention I look silly with the split headband on my long hair. 

So, back home, I opened it up and plugged it straight to my portable (just a wolfson-handphone). I was immediately awestrucked and I remember the hair on my neck shrilled with excitement. The sound was totally different than the ones in the store. Could be the noisy surrounding but it wasn't noisy at all compared to my room. The bass was full, fast and present. I could feel the rumble. Definitely not bass-light like the ones from the store. I like how it doesn't boom and just stay true to the source, like some bass guitars that have the crunchier and crisp sound are nicely produced on these cans. I like how it rumbles when it's supposed to. Queen - Under Pressure and Another One Bites The Dust is a good test for bass and it is produced very well.  I adjusted it a little bit to see if I could get a "bad sound" but it was already perfect, the fit isn't a problem with these. After 10 hours of burn in, the most significant change is that guitar twangs from telecasters doesn't sound all that sterile anymore. In fact I would classify it as "true to the recording" sound. I find these have absolutely no sibilance, even at higher volume it's hard to be sibilant. The congested feeling I had before, was lessened. It's still congested from high-gain recorded songs. The mids are quintessential in these phones, they are the Sun of the Milky Way. Big and forward. Ella Fitzgerald's and Patricia Barber's voice is awesome on these probably because they are forward. The trebles are smooth and presence is good. I could clearly hear the high hats from Red Hot Chili Pepper's songs.The ringing sound from Jamiroquai - Feel Good intro really does feel good. Instrument separation and left right separation is very very good on these cans, you can hear it from any The Beatle's songs. They are just so much better than others I tried including the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and Audio Technica ATH-ESW9. I just enjoy listening to them so much that I don't mind it hurts a little after an hour of initial use. That's just how much I love them. Everything is present and nothing less. It makes ears orgasm all the time. Probably the first unit I tested is from a bad batch, and I am probably lucky. I do find it a little on the warm side, but just slightly if any at all. Definitely a winner in Jazz and Classical, and fast tracks like Funk and Rock. Guitars from Rock can sound a little different but it isn't sterile but I am not sure what to call it. These cans handle Heavy Metal songs incredibly well too, listened through the whole Dream Theater album, Train Of Thoughts and they are really good. I do find myself reaching for the EQ once in a while. I like how airy vocals are on male voices, and it's definitely a winner for Folk songs too. So all in all, grab these if you like mid-centric yet balanced sound, bassy (when it's supposed to), and smooth treble. As of now, I am right into 2 hours of putting these on my head without removing it. They are comfortable even though I am wearing glasses. They don't sweat as much as I thought but the ears does hurt now. I am going to take a rest. Good night. 
beyersmile.png

Here's some more goodies for the long post.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2,568 of 4,010
It's funny how, even though I own the headphones (wearing them right now), I still enjoy unboxing pics.  I think there's something wrong with me. 
beyersmile.png

Thanks for your impressions, freakfingers!

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #2,570 of 4,010
Freakfingers: Awesome! As soon as I read your post I took mine out of my laptop bag and I'm about to head out of work with them on my head...and you're right, they keep your ears surprisingly cool...I love that about them!

I don't know what is up with Beyerdynamic, but they need to quit screwing around and get some consistency with their damn headphones! When they get it right, they REALLY get it right....it's a shame there are so many reports of inconsistent pairs.

PS. I love unboxing vids/pics too :)

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #2,571 of 4,010
Is there anything to the inconsistency issue? I always assumed it was related those getting a proper seal vs not.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2,572 of 4,010
Quote:
Is there anything to the inconsistency issue? I always assumed it was related those getting a proper seal vs not.

Honestly, I did some research once I first heard about it and I ended up feeling like it wasn't a widespread thing, and I really HOPE it's not....it just seems like I've heard it mentioned several times lately. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #2,573 of 4,010
Quote:
I don't know what is up with Beyerdynamic, but they need to quit screwing around and get some consistency with their damn headphones! When they get it right, they REALLY get it right....it's a shame there are so many reports of inconsistent pairs.

+1!

@freakfingers12
Nice post and pics! :)

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #2,574 of 4,010
Quote:

I've measured five pairs of these and also took positional measurements using a flat coupler (not an ear which could cause seal issues.) All five exhibited different levels of bass and treble response in relation to the mids (the mids were consistent from 300Hz to 2kHz for the most part). Two or three of the five had channel mismatch issues where the level of mismatch in the bass was different than from the treble. I've also taken subsequent measurements on different days where the same headphone was removed from and put back on the rig to ensure the discrepancies were not the result of measurement error. It should be noted that most of the five pairs tended to sound different (subjectively) from each other, although two "good" ones were similar to each other.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the proper seal thing because most users, especially those who post here, are probably aware of it, and would know how to adjust the DT1350 accordingly. It may not necessary be the drivers. It could be the pads or size, consistency, and placement of internal damping materials.

Not trying to troll, as people tend to get sensitive over stuff like this, but as Focker said, when these are right, they are right.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #2,575 of 4,010
^ Interesting, thanks - I must have gotten the "right" sounding pair, because I really liked the sound when I had it. I'm a big fan of these.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #2,576 of 4,010
The R&D engineers got it right, the QC ones slacked off... What a shame really, the manufacturing progress ruined the amazing effort the R&D people have done. To me the DT1350 is simply well engineered, from its physical design to durability, sound - be its response, its FR, its impedance choice/sensitivity, its isolation etc... A perfect phone for its price range and its applications are more than great except for the really high-end, audiophile headphones; which clearly is not what they have designed the DT1350 to be.

I love my pair except for the fit <-- If they can fix it, it would be perfect (and of course the inconsistency).

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #2,577 of 4,010
Quote:

I've measured five pairs of these and also took positional measurements using a flat coupler (not an ear which could cause seal issues.) All five exhibited different levels of bass and treble response in relation to the mids (the mids were consistent from 300Hz to 2kHz for the most part). Two or three of the five had channel mismatch issues where the level of mismatch in the bass was different than from the treble. I've also taken subsequent measurements on different days where the same headphone was removed from and put back on the rig to ensure the discrepancies were not the result of measurement error. It should be noted that most of the five pairs tended to sound different (subjectively) from each other, although two "good" ones were similar to each other.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the proper seal thing because most users, especially those who post here, are probably aware of it, and would know how to adjust the DT1350 accordingly. It may not necessary be the drivers. It could be the pads or size, consistency, and placement of internal damping materials.

Not trying to troll, as people tend to get sensitive over stuff like this, but as Focker said, when these are right, they are right.

I think you're right about the seal...I did notice an improvement when I made a slight adjustment in their position, but I don't see how that could account for some of the accounts that I've read, including yours....actually I think your post was the very first one I read about this issue after you'd measured a few pairs. I'm just glad I got a good one, cause I really enjoy them. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #2,578 of 4,010
Freakfingers: Awesome! As soon as I read your post I took mine out of my laptop bag and I'm about to head out of work with them on my head...and you're right, they keep your ears surprisingly cool...I love that about them!

PS. I love unboxing vids/pics too :)

Thanks focker. :) 
You always bring along yours during travel? I have a question, does the glued-on headband strap gets loose for you? 

Quote:

Honestly, I did some research once I first heard about it and I ended up feeling like it wasn't a widespread thing, and I really HOPE it's not....it just seems like I've heard it mentioned several times lately. 

Originally Posted by mrAdrian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The R&D engineers got it right, the QC ones slacked off... What a shame really, the manufacturing progress ruined the amazing effort the R&D people have done. To me the DT1350 is simply well engineered, from its physical design to durability, sound - be its response, its FR, its impedance choice/sensitivity, its isolation etc... A perfect phone for its price range and its applications are more than great except for the really high-end, audiophile headphones; which clearly is not what they have designed the DT1350 to be.

I love my pair except for the fit <-- If they can fix it, it would be perfect (and of course the inconsistency).   

I never wanted to believe that a good seal is needed everytime you wear them. But it's somewhat true. Adjusting the fit does give better comfort and covers up more of your ear, thus better sound, perhaps.

+1!

@freakfingers12
Nice post and pics! :)

Thanks. :)

Originally Posted by purrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hope mine are the "right" pair. :D Really frustrating to know there are variant product qualities. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #2,579 of 4,010
You'd honestly have to measure these things scientifically under various parameters according to their design to know in any way truthfully what is going on. Tyll's didn't measure well, look at the discrepancy between channels, and neither did a couple pairs of Purrin's. Nobody has any clue if this is down to fit and pad seal and that is about that. Until someone wants to contact a Beyer engineer and discuss this the conversation is pointless. All this is hearsay and bears no resemblance to the scientific method in its entirety. Simply put, unless you account for all known parameters your measurements could be off. Bearing that in mind it would not surprise me in the least if there were actual problems.

But people can measure each pair until their eyes bleed. Unless they are measuring every parameter as they sit on the head of the doll and making sure each seal is perfectly uniform I don't find these results to be anything of note personally. There very well may be problems. People need to take a listen themselves and adjust the headphones so they feel perfect. This may involved bending the metal it may involve doing something else until each ear is uniform in the pressure the pad is putting on your ear. There is no doubt in my mind at times that the pressure is not uniform, even if only the slightest, out of the box and that may be because of the metal ladders that may not fit to each ear perfectly as far as pressure.

For instance I can already notice my pads have shaped to my ear which may change measurements with sound pressure escaping from seal. You can't account for this on a day to day basis. Pushing these against my ears so I know they are uniform in pressure and testing the channel discrepancy, while flipping the headphones around to the opposite ear on subsequent tests, is the only way one is going to actually be able to get a real world idea of any problems related to channel discrepancies. Obviously, you need to use the best mono recordings. And that of course is subjective not scientific but it WILL in fact give you a great idea as to the most important thing, channel imbalances, being a problem. Out of two pairs I have none. The channels are within .5 or lower to my ears.

Seriously, this conversation is going nowhere for the 5th time. Let it go or contact a Beyer tech person who would know what they are talking about.

As for the measurements yes there is a reason they could be off say 2dB on one side. This could be because sound pressure is escaping from the seal on one side at a constant threshold and this would indeed make one ear seem as if it were totally imbalanced. I know that I adjust these things at times. Heck, one of my ladders is loose and I have to at some point get that tightened though it does presently make a difference in the sound as it is not loose enough.

I mean the fact is Supra-aural phones are really never perfect. People have different head sizes and different ear sizes. These headphones did not sit on my ear perfectly AT ALL with a good seal when I bought them. I had to bend the metal ever so slightly to get a good response and good bass tone. That right there should tell you that measurements are useless. If I had to pick these headphones up without being able to bend the metal to my heart's content I probably would not be nearly as happy. Luckily, I can do this and nobody can even notice it and I am happy. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY.

@ Halycon: Nobody is too old to troll. You went straight to another thread to troll after you gave us your first ridiculous post. Why and the hell you would keep these for months when they are the worst headphones ever is the sign of incompetence. And now you are back for more it seems. Sorry, but maybe it's your ears that are bad. Coming from a 5k plus setup these headphones are in actuality pretty glorious besides the soundstage.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #2,580 of 4,010
Yes, I agree Beyers need some actual burn-in. At the beginning, pads were too hard to seal properly, they loosened with some use.
I also had to slightly reduce pressure on the ears by excercising the headband.

The sound isn't perfect by any stretch of the word - I've yet to find a perfect anything. DT1350 are definitely reasonably close, but not there.
Without equalization, the sound is relatively dry, bit uneven forward/recessed in high mids (2k vs 3k-4k), but well balanced in general. Reminiscent of VSonic GR07 but with better extension. They do have some small midbass hole and less of a bass boost too.

Detailing is likewise a bit dry. Very good decay in bass, less so in mids and highs. Some very high frequency resonance is present. (14 kHz?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back