New Beyer DT1350
May 3, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #211 of 4,010
Quote:
It is actually almost shoking to see how different the measurments for those 2 headphones are, while based on the same drivers/design. The T50p really look like to me as a marketing toy.

As far as I can tell the only thing their "Tesla Technology" amounts to is using stronger than normal magnets so that sensitivity doesn't go through the floor when you stiffen up the diaphragm for greater fidelity.  Its seems likely to me that the T50p was pushed out the door for marketing reasons but I don't know enough about the situation to make a substantial claim.

May 3, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #212 of 4,010
Hi

The DT1350 does NOT use the same drivers. They were completely new developed - of course with the same technology behind ( http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/presse/pressemitteilungen/presse-detail/article/beyerdynamic-reinvents-headphones-with-tesla-technology-the-borders-of-feasible-technology-are-rea.html ) which uses a new developed diaphragm also as new magnet tecnology and construction - not only stronger.

The T50p is more for portable devices with 32 Ohms, the DT1350 uses 80Ohms and has only parts of the housing in common with the T50p.

May 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #213 of 4,010
They even have the same price and distribution channels. This is really embarassing for Beyer Marketing department. And confusing... even the name, DT traditionnally refering to Dynamic Telephone, is now also stamped with the Tesla technology.

May 3, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #214 of 4,010
Thank you for the correction Knopfy, I thought the drivers were the same between the T50p and the DT1350. Good to know. Doesn't make the T50p look any better though
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #215 of 4,010
Quote:
Hi

The DT1350 does NOT use the same drivers. They were completely new developed - of course with the same technology behind ( http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/presse/pressemitteilungen/presse-detail/article/beyerdynamic-reinvents-headphones-with-tesla-technology-the-borders-of-feasible-technology-are-rea.html ) which uses a new developed diaphragm also as new magnet tecnology and construction - not only stronger.

The T50p is more for portable devices with 32 Ohms, the DT1350 uses 80Ohms and has only parts of the housing in common with the T50p.

You'd have to have pretty weak amp for that impedance to make a difference to anything when the sensitivity is already so high.  Maybe in the Eurozone where the HP outs are limited to crystal radio power but not in the rest of the world where the electronics are unencumbered by nanny state laws.

Also, I thought it was pretty obvious that the T50p and DT1350 used different drivers.  I was  just talking about how the marketroids labeled them "Tesla" and all.  I think something with that label should be a bit more spectacular than even the T1.  It should cause earthquakes, transmit wirelessly with not loss of fidelity or power, or something else suitably impressive.  Big-ass ring magnets don't really count in my book.

May 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #217 of 4,010
Beyerdynamic has a very nice & informative photo booklet on facebook relating the creation story of the DT1350 with behind the scene information:

Beyerdynamic DT1350 Story

Seems a lot of efforts went into this model...

May 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #218 of 4,010
May 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #220 of 4,010
There's nothing "wrong" with it, I just think its subjectively lame to name it after a unit when the man the unit is named after is much more interesting.

May 3, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #224 of 4,010
I am a fan of the HD25, and for 100$ more I'd expect to get something even more unique/everlasting and proly to do the laundry.
300$ for a portable seems pricey but oh well, months ago I thought the same of the 200$ for the HD25, now i think those 200 are totally worth it.

May 4, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #225 of 4,010

Quote:
is the 300$ price point worth over the already time proven HD25-1 ii? I mean Headfi TV does not equal all the opinions of headfiers so what do the actual owners have to say? 

Quote:
I am a fan of the HD25, and for 100$ more I'd expect to get something even more unique/everlasting and proly to do the laundry.
300$ for a portable seems pricey but oh well, months ago I thought the same of the 200$ for the HD25, now i think those 200 are totally worth it.

For me it boils down to preferred signature and type of music.  The HD25's to me are great with rock, quite punchy and fun, with sparkly treble and fairly impressive, punchy bass for on ear cans.  The DT1350's offer more detail, nice treble extension but a bit less sparkle, and nice tight accurate bass, but without the punch of the HD25's, and rich, full mids.  My listening leans more to acoustic, vocals, jazz and classical, then prog rock and 70/s through 90's rock.  The DT 1350's are more my style (save for the rock, but decent with that), and I sold my HD25's to someone who loves that sound, and was underwhelmed with my 1350's.

Isolation is a draw to me, or a lean to the HD25, contrary to other opinions I've heard.  Comfort leans to the HD25, if one can call either comfortable.  Cool factor to the DT's, incognito to the HD's.  Bullet proof and rebuildable to the HD25's, durability is likely a draw, the DT1350's really feel solid, well built and high quality.  The cable is not as bad as everyone seems to think.  Portability and packability to the DT1350's and their cool little case.

So, worth an extra $100? to me, sure.  Headphones are my luxury, and $100 in that price range isn't too extravagant.  If I was more of a rocker (as I used to be!) I'd go for the HD25's and be happier regardless of price.

Last, HD25's are more fatiguing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back