New Audiolab DAC
Nov 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #826 of 878
Thanks for the advise. I think the M-Dac is quite old in design as it has been released back in 2011?

I have decided I might actually stick to waiting for yulong's d200 or just purchase the yulong da8 as they are newer and offer better specs for the price. But thank you for the help offered.

Meanwhile I might just get myself a fiio e18 (going to be out soon in australia)  while waiting for the release of yulong's da8.

You can't be serious? :D
The Sabre DAC chip used in the M-DAC is still used in a lot of other current designs.
Hyperbole aside, 2 years is really not that old.
There's far more to a DAC than the chip set used in them.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #827 of 878
Hi Chris,

I am comparing from what i read on yulong d200 which supports 32/384 and dsd which the mdac does not?

Even matrix quattro dac and yulong d18 supports them and is cheaper?

Just what I am thinking as I am planning to buy my first dac / amp.

Would be great to hear your advise.

Thanks

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #828 of 878
Some clarifications: The Yulong D18 uses the same DAC chip as the M-DAC (ESS/Sabre32 9018) and thus is not any less "old", nor does it support DSD anymore than the M-DAC last time I checked (thus the upcoming D200)

The fact that both have the same DAC chip but are voiced noticeably different shows how much the rest of the DAC matters (almost -more- than the chip itself), like Chris J wrote.

And while you can argue about the finer points of perceived sound quality, I have yet to see another DAC that offers more customization (even input naming) and a more useful display (esp. the level meters, which clearly indicate the dynamic range of a record and if it's brickwalled, something I despise) And dedicated support of its designer, resulting in many improvements and fixes even just on the firmware level. And that's not just in its own price range, but even much more expensive ones.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #829 of 878
  Some clarifications: The Yulong D18 uses the same DAC chip as the M-DAC (ESS/Sabre32 9018) and thus is not any less "old", nor does it support DSD anymore than the M-DAC last time I checked (thus the upcoming D200)

The fact that both have the same DAC chip but are voiced noticeably different shows how much the rest of the DAC matters (almost -more- than the chip itself), like Chris J wrote.

And while you can argue about the finer points of perceived sound quality, I have yet to see another DAC that offers more customization (even input naming) and a more useful display (esp. the level meters, which clearly indicate the dynamic range of a record and if it's brickwalled, something I despise) And dedicated support of its designer, resulting in many improvements and fixes even just on the firmware level. And that's not just in its own price range, but even much more expensive ones.

Hi GumpyOldMan,

What does usb and optical not supporting 192 nor 384 in actual life translate to? I just want to purchase something I will be satisfied with some time and not having to think ok i want to upgrade soon.

It seems that most products are supporting such sampling rates and mdac still does not?

I do like the input naming, remote, the plethora of inputs it has as a dac

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #830 of 878
For me personally not much.  (384 btw. would be DSD territory, 192 being the highest "regular" PCM type encoding)

For the longest time I have used the optical out on my Macs (since USB has been a mixed bag, even though nowadays it's becoming more and more widespread). Since that one too is limited to 24/96, it has never been an issue. (192 over optical is not really standard anyway) The various iPods (and their digital docks) are even lower, so not the least limitation on the M-DAC end.

I have had some 192 tracks for a while, for comparison (from various sources like HD Tracks etc.), using my AK100 which fully supports them, in straight playback, but also fed to the D18 via optical (after I got a cable capable of handling that frequency), then to my Woo amps. I have never for the life of me, in any combination of equipment been able to hear a difference between the 192 & the 96 version of the same tracks, and long ago decided the 192 just isn't worth the extra cost & storage space. For that matter, I mostly buy HD to get a good master more than the higher resolution. The vast bulk of my music is ripped CDs, quite a few from before the mid 90's, when the whole loudness war really got out of hand. I value the quality of the recording far more than the resolution. If all things are equal, lossless is important, any HD (over 16/44.1) just the icing on the cake.

And most recently I got a DSD sampler that included equivalent PCM formats (192/96) Once again, I could not hear a difference, no matter how much I paid attention. It does nothing for me, and I'm certainly not going to re-buy music I already own, at least in standard lossless. And that leaves very few records in DSD I would interested in. Maybe things will be a little different in a few years... (in terms of offerings, not in terms of audible improvements, and for that matter I don't think my ears will get better with the years : p )

So you have to ask yourself: How much of that stuff do you already have in 192-and-up formats? How much (money) do you plan on spending on acquiring it? Are your favourite albums & tracks even available in those formats? Because it should ultimately be about the music...!

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #831 of 878
Hi Chris,

I am comparing from what i read on yulong d200 which supports 32/384 and dsd which the mdac does not?

Even matrix quattro dac and yulong d18 supports them and is cheaper?

Just what I am thinking as I am planning to buy my first dac / amp.

Would be great to hear your advise.

Thanks

Hey there :D

I would agree that 32/384 is not really that important, but it looks good on paper!
There is a whole school of thought that says you don't need anything more than 32/96 for PLAYBACK.
recording and mixing are a different story and need more resolution for signal processing.
As for DSD, there is not that much DSD content out there.
Hard to see right now as to whether it will really take off in the market.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #832 of 878
Now I am confused whether I should get the mdac... since it sounds it is a worthwhile dac for the price?

I have the opportunity to get a the mdac for about 880 new. So should be pretty good?

but then I believe yulong d200 when it is out will be around 500 new. just wondering whether it is justifiable to have the mdac for a better display, control and does not have the dsd and 32/384?

But then again, i have also read in forums people commenting that we can only hear up to 96 and it should be more than enough.

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #833 of 878
Love my M-DAC, 24/96 is enough for my ears.

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #834 of 878
So do I, obviously
o2smile.gif

zting, if you are so torn between those choices: why not wait until the D200 is actually released, with the final price & functionality, and read the reviews & impressions that will certainly show up on the Head-Fi (and other) forums, then make an informed decision?

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #835 of 878
Hi guys,

sorry to keep going back and forward.

I am actually quiite swayed to the mdac as i only heard good reviews from it.

My problem comes with that I can get the mdac when i go on business trip in singpore in beginning on december (hopefully prices stays at about 890 AUD). Mdac prices in australia has rised to over 1200 AUD, hence why i am tempted to get it from singapore at a lower price before they too jack up the price.

as for the yulong it is not even out yet so really hard to ask opinion from anyone

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #836 of 878
Hi guys,

sorry to keep going back and forward.

I am actually quiite swayed to the mdac as i only heard good reviews from it.

My problem comes with that I can get the mdac when i go on business trip in singpore in beginning on december (hopefully prices stays at about 890 AUD). Mdac prices in australia has rised to over 1200 AUD, hence why i am tempted to get it from singapore at a lower price before they too jack up the price.

as for the yulong it is not even out yet so really hard to ask opinion from anyone

Welcome to Singapore and dont forget to claim on your GST on the way back home :)

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #837 of 878
Zting,

Do you travel to Indonesia (Jakarta) much? I bought my M-DAC in Jakarta for $700 U.S. which I thought was a very good price for this side of the world.

For me, the M-DAC is end game in regards to DACs.  It's dynamic, versatile and looks good in black.  I love tube amps and most tend to be warm and the M-DAC suits them very well.  I honestly think, any upgrades from MDAC/Y18/Rega etc... the law of diminishing returns kick in and I would rather spend that money on tubes/headphones.  

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #839 of 878
Hey guys I bought a mdac hehe. In black.

Now still overseas will try ti test it when im back home on thursday muahahaha cannot wait

The new mstage hpa2 is out. Thinking of getting it as the amp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back