New Audiolab DAC
Oct 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #796 of 878
  Just ought to say a few words about this dac too. It's terrific as a dac - but the headphone amplifier is lacking. 

As a dac the sound is a level above stuff like the vdac and the difference is quite noticable in terms of resolution, clarity, instrument separation and depth of sound. But when the headphone amp is used, err, the magic disappears. It's surprisingly good with the mad dogs but that's an exception as with my denon's and ultrasone headphones it just doesn't match. Hollow and bright sound. 

The M-DAC headphone amplifier is far from lacking!

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #797 of 878
I have a question regarding the Lsb Restoration, i have Windows 7 and play my music as Flac through Foobar to the M-Dac.
Should i leave Lsb Restoration unmodified, or restore to original?
Manual only says for Win Xp i should restore to original, is that correct?

Thanks.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #798 of 878
My AGK 702's just arrived and they are broken out the box, sound in one ear only.  Now I have to piss around sending them back.
frown.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #799 of 878
  I have a question regarding the Lsb Restoration, i have Windows 7 and play my music as Flac through Foobar to the M-Dac.
Should i leave Lsb Restoration unmodified, or restore to original?
Manual only says for Win Xp i should restore to original, is that correct?

Straight from John Westlake, the designer of the M-DAC, on the PFM forum:
LSB restore is only required for systems using Windows XP & Windows kernel mixer (it corrects for an LSB rounding error introduced via Windows kernel mixer).

D3E has no direct connection with LSB restore. D3E is only active with data less than 24bits, so if the LSB data is not correct the MDAC will show 24b when playing a 16b file and thus D3E will not be "active".

D3E should be used if possible, it not only helps to improve the SQ, but also reduces the instance of the ESS left channel locking bug.

So, on anything other than XP (with the default driver) you can leave it off. D3E should be on since it only improves less-than-24-bit source data and does no harm otherwise.

My AGK 702's just arrived and they are broken out the box, sound in one ear only.  Now I have to piss around sending them back.
frown.gif

Sorry to hear that. I assume you checked it with different sources, and repeatedly made sure the detachable cable is really, truly, correctly inserted? (happened to me with another headphone -_-;:wink:

And btw. the M-DAC won this year again the UK's What HiFi's Best DAC £500-£700 award!

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #800 of 878
Cool, Thanks for the clarification TheGrumpyOM.
I will turn it off then (choosing restoration unmodified)

Two years in a row getting an award? not bad.

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #801 of 878
  Straight from John Westlake, the designer of the M-DAC, on the PFM forum:
So, on anything other than XP (with the default driver) you can leave it off. D3E should be on since it only improves less-than-24-bit source data and does no harm otherwise.

Sorry to hear that. I assume you checked it with different sources, and repeatedly made sure the detachable cable is really, truly, correctly inserted? (happened to me with another headphone -_-;:wink:

And btw. the M-DAC won this year again the UK's What HiFi's Best DAC £500-£700 award!

Yeah, in my amp and MDAC. Attaching the cable seems simple enough, clicks in place. Couldn't believe it, maybe they sent me someone's broken pair, the box opened up without any seals or stickers to remove.

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #802 of 878
Sounds fishy indeed. They shouldn't do that in the first place, and if they do, at least thoroughly CHECK the friggin' item before re-selling it since there's a good chance somebody returned it for a REASON. Never mind the possible legal implications of selling something as new when it isn't...

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #803 of 878
Saw the WhatHiFi award. Nice!

How does this DAC compare with the TEAC UD-501, the Arcam irDAC, and Anedio D2?

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #804 of 878

The M-DAC headphone amplifier is far from lacking!

I find the MDAC headlamp a puzzling thing indeed... synergy with different cans is unpredictable. My favourite listening combination right now is MDAC to HD650 (source MacMini/Audirvana/MP3 320/decent USB cable). They also work well with RS-1s but DT48 and HD800... no no no!

With the right can and a decent source, I think the MDAC can be a brilliant all in one solution.

Best

James  

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #805 of 878
Just ordered some AKG 712's. Got my refund for the broken 702's, watching them being unboxed on YouTube I noted my box was not wrapped in cellophane, the cans were not in a plastic bag and the cable was detached and stuck in a small compartment at the bottom, again no plastic bag. Either it was a genuine mistake and they sent me a broken pair or someone has pulled a fast one at this company and got themselves a two hundred quid pair of cans for nothing.

Didn't order my new pair from them obviously. Although trying to actually find a pair for sale in the UK didn't go well, just two companies, the one I ordered from before and the other was sold out. Went with Amazon, even though it's a market place order from Germany and they are new on there at least you have the security in case things go wrong.

Was briefly tempted by the Hifiman ones but I really like a single sided cable, constantly having to lay twin cables on your chest and having it drag on you is a pain. My Ultrasones don't match my new DAC and Amp I'm afraid - I have enjoyed them thoroughly and they are bullet proof, drop them, roll about with them in bed - nice and flat for head on the pillow listening, cables last forever, just the best for fuss free enjoyable listening. Maybe one day I'll save up for some top of the line Ultrasones.

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #806 of 878
  Just ordered some AKG 712's. Got my refund for the broken 702's, watching them being unboxed on YouTube I noted my box was not wrapped in cellophane, the cans were not in a plastic bag and the cable was detached and stuck in a small compartment at the bottom, again no plastic bag. Either it was a genuine mistake and they sent me a broken pair or someone has pulled a fast one at this company and got themselves a two hundred quid pair of cans for nothing.

Didn't order my new pair from them obviously. Although trying to actually find a pair for sale in the UK didn't go well, just two companies, the one I ordered from before and the other was sold out. Went with Amazon, even though it's a market place order from Germany and they are new on there at least you have the security in case things go wrong.

Was briefly tempted by the Hifiman ones but I really like a single sided cable, constantly having to lay twin cables on your chest and having it drag on you is a pain. My Ultrasones don't match my new DAC and Amp I'm afraid - I have enjoyed them thoroughly and they are bullet proof, drop them, roll about with them in bed - nice and flat for head on the pillow listening, cables last forever, just the best for fuss free enjoyable listening. Maybe one day I'll save up for some top of the line Ultrasones.

Great choice, I've been loving my K712's in comparison to the old K701.  And I owned an HD800 before buying these.  I'd love to hear your impressions, with the MDAC.  I'll eventually be in the market for a new DAC, though I'd be pairing it with my Burson Soloist.  Also considering the Meier Daccord.

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #807 of 878
Does anyone know how mdac compares with the cheaper qdac?

What is dsd function? I am thinking of getting either the qdac or the new yulong d200 when it is out which has dsd capabilities.

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #808 of 878

What is dsd function? I am thinking of getting either the qdac or the new yulong d200 when it is out which has dsd capabilities.

This is essentially a cut-down M-DAC. It has a smaller LCD display, no remote and a few less I/O options but apparently they've done their best to maintain the same level of overall performance.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #809 of 878

Although i'm not a big fan of What Hifi, i think you should read this review:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/audiolab-q-dac

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #810 of 878
I have read the review but it didfers from what I heard from the owner of my local store. According to him they soubd almost the ssme.

I have narrowed down my choice to either the qdac for 660 (which frpm what hifi does not sound good for the price) with local support or the new yulong d200 which shoukd be out.

Apparently the yulong will use the same dac es9016 as qdac and offers dsd support at about 525 shipped from tamaudio.

I am in a delimma whether to buy the qdac as the price will increase after stock runs out or wait n get the yulong a200.

What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back