New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 3, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #1,096 of 11,259
I agree that silver works great if you have great system. My KG T2 and 009 is awesome, and I keep craving for silver wires everywhere.

Litz is just a type of wires construction, the silver maybe common OFC silver. In which senses it may help the pricing for being lower, and in contrast to UP-OCC or any other OCC+Litz = much more exotic and expensive.

On the other hand. Do we have any R2R DAC with similar build but using through hole solder instead of SMD ?
They are all SMD as far as i know. I thiink the boards are soldered by a robot which helps with uniformity. Another reason is saving space.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #1,097 of 11,259
Thanks for the link...
I was a little excited about the i2s.. looks flexible and fantastic build quality.. then I saw the price :ksc75smile:
Did you order the ACSS, or make them yourself... ?
The I2S Argentus isn't cheap, i know, but totally worth it for me :musical_score:
I ordered the ACSS at Tubulus also. I am physically unable to make such things unfortunately.

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #1,098 of 11,259
I find I do not currently miss the MA4´s, but I have yet to put them back in my system to see if I am missing anything...
let me know if you try the MA4s again. It's like you said - sounds like no wire at all. I've got it between amp&pre and I'm not getting any tails on notes (like you'd expect from mosfet, or low gauge copper). At first I took that as a flaw, but it's been a huge plus for those recordings that already have heavy reflections (recorded or electronic). I didn't think my other cables were that colored, but busy tracks were getting a dose of added confusion, while the MA4 delivers the same material with a headphone type coherency. Clapping sounds more believable then anything I've heard and songs are now sounding more authentic, like I'm hearing what the engineers intended for me. I'm finally happy enough with what I hear to stop and let all the wires break in:

win10 PC => curious cable #1
industrial intona => curious cable #2
w4s recovery => DIY USB cable
r2r7 => audio techne ARC-500 (copper litz)
T+A preamp => Morrow MA4
Exposure 3010s => 20ft Belden 9497 ($1/ft 16awg tinned copper)
Horns wired entirely with Belden 9497, with ring terminals compression crimped, then soldered with WBT solder

Still happy with the Amanero, so the Singxer is still unplugged.

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #1,099 of 11,259
some say ES9038 extracts every digital detail of the signal, very edgy but stuff full of details. so i think it's different strokes for different folks. Other threads on L.K.S MH-DA004 people really liking it.

LKS 004 owner here, and I disagree about the edgy stuff. It does extract every details possible, especially the crisp treble presentation and the speed, but it does so smoothly and fluidly in my system. There is no digital harshness on the 004 And out of Stax SR009 system. I have never heard of any R2R DAC, so this one peaks my interest.

Specification wise, the ES9038Pro has the highest Dynamic range in the industry of 140db. I don’t think any R2R would get that high

IMO, if the 7.77 is done right, I would think that it gotta be at least on the same league with the R2R 7

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #1,100 of 11,259
LKS 004 owner here, and I disagree about the edgy stuff. It does extract every details possible, especially the crisp treble presentation and the speed, but it does so smoothly and fluidly in my system. There is no digital harshness on the 004 And out of Stax SR009 system. I have never heard of any R2R DAC, so this one peaks my interest.

Specification wise, the ES9038Pro has the highest Dynamic range in the industry of 140db. I don’t think any R2R would get that high

IMO, if the 7.77 is done right, I would think that it gotta be at least on the same league with the R2R 7
So does this mean this Chinese DAC can beat the Canadian Exasound which is more than double the price? I am hoping that they will make a multi-ch version using 2 chips that should sound better than the exasound.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #1,101 of 11,259
So does this mean this Chinese DAC can beat the Canadian Exasound which is more than double the price? I am hoping that they will make a multi-ch version using 2 chips that should sound better than the exasound.

I can not tell you that as I don’t have any direct comparison between them. You may want to try it out and hear for yourself ?

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #1,102 of 11,259

The r2r 7 has a lot of definition while sounding like analog device. Same for the little r2r 11. They just play music. The big brother has better highs and extends lower. The treble quality of the r2r 7 is really remarkable. As good as that of an excellent turntable. In it's price range, the r2r 11 has exceptional treble as well. And such great tonality. And spatiality is also remarkable with both.

I have been told the nfb7.77 is a little behind but it is a great dac as well. The r2r 7, set-up as mine, has no weakness, besides the fact it is hard to fine-tune with the accurate fw and that is takes forever to break-in. It has been a long and painful journey but it was worth it. It will be my source for at least the next 5 years.

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #1,103 of 11,259
Just revisited R2R 7 site, seems Kingwa kept on upgrading the USB component and now added its own class A PSU so with the earlier isolator, question is will these modifications save the need for additional Singxer SU-1 or is getting close?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #1,105 of 11,259
would love to hear users compare the latest add-on R2R7 vs SU-1 to see the real difference.......
Also maybe Kingwa is too kind and honest or too busy, with his product lineup, majority have either I2S or coax input so why not come out with his own USB -> I2S/coax interface product?

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #1,108 of 11,259
Mar 10, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #1,109 of 11,259
Kingwa has designed a few USB converters over the years, but they don't last long for various reasons. I've thought of dropping an F-1 inside the R2R 7, but he has essentially made that unnecessary, which is better overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back