New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 10, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #1,111 of 11,282
With the added psu and isolator, the internal usb must be really excellent and rather hard to beat.

I am not so sure. I think this pretty much depends on the source being used. I have a SotM SMS 200 Ultra with SPS500 power supply. I don't believe the power supply from this source is better or worse compared to the internal PSU Audio-GD is using. I do agree when using a "noisy" source you will benefit form the internal PSU in the DAC.

Mar 10, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #1,112 of 11,282
I am not so sure. I think this pretty much depends on the source being used. I have a SotM SMS 200 Ultra with SPS500 power supply. I don't believe the power supply from this source is better or worse compared to the internal PSU Audio-GD is using. I do agree when using a "noisy" source you will benefit form the internal PSU in the DAC.
I really meant for someone connecting the dac directoy to a computer vs using an an affordable external usb converter. I expect a >500 usd converter to beat this upgraded internal converter but i would assume it is better than a f-1 powered directly by the computer or even a su-1. Someone will probably do the comparison at some point.

As for me. I will upgrade my transport when something clearly superior comes along. A streamer, probably, as i am starting to get tired of computer-related issues. Better to put money on something more stable and predictable.

A streamer with upsampling capacities would be ideal.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,113 of 11,282
In fact, if Kingwa improves/re-tunes the accurate fw to be softer on the ears which would make that i can use the on-dac upsampling, i would seriously consider the mano ultra streamer. Getting the computer out of my setup is most probably my next move. Sick and tired of all those deamons and stuff running in the background, and managing that crap called an OS.

Maybe i am already good to go as is cause of my last teaks. I have to give the on-dac upsampling another shot. I doubt it will be to my likings but you never know.

As i mentioned many times, the combination i have right now has such a great treble quality, it is addictive. It's even better after adding a silver interconnect to the mix, which is telling. Turntable territory, guys. On the best days, which is most days, i have a sound i consider perfect, at least until i hear better.

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #1,114 of 11,282
if Kingwa improves/re-tunes the accurate fw to be softer on the ears

I tried these budget tinned copper wires and the highs were completely tamed (a Volti Audio recommendation). I can listen at louder levels even with silver interconnects:
https://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-Twisted-Oxygen-Copper-Speaker/dp/B004Z157XK

For critical listening with spooky imaging and hard dynamics, I flip over to doubled-up Belden 9497 (also budget tinned copper), but the volume has to come down because it can bite hard from the upper mids on up.

I'm sure the majority of people I know would prefer the R2R7 paired with the KnuKonceptz -- perhaps the Belden would get more votes with the smooth firmware. I find my favorite changes from recording to recording, so I'll likely be rotating between them as they break in, for the sake of variety.

i have a sound i consider perfect, at least until i hear better.

I know it's silly to eval a sound through computer speakers, but you have to admit these sound insane!

(speakers produced last year)

YG Acoustic Sonja XV

Von Schweikert

Wilson Benesch

(speakers produced 30 years ago -- how do your woofers/cans handle those notes?)

Infinity Reference System

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #1,115 of 11,282
I tried these budget tinned copper wires and the highs were completely tamed (a Volti Audio recommendation). I can listen at louder levels even with silver interconnects:
https://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-Twisted-Oxygen-Copper-Speaker/dp/B004Z157XK

For critical listening with spooky imaging and hard dynamics, I flip over to doubled-up Belden 9497 (also budget tinned copper), but the volume has to come down because it can bite hard from the upper mids on up.

I'm sure the majority of people I know would prefer the R2R7 paired with the KnuKonceptz -- perhaps the Belden would get more votes with the smooth firmware. I find my favorite changes from recording to recording, so I'll likely be rotating between them as they break in, for the sake of variety.

I know it's silly to eval a sound through computer speakers, but you have to admit these sound insane!

(speakers produced last year)

YG Acoustic Sonja XV

Von Schweikert

Wilson Benesch

(speakers produced 30 years ago -- how do your woofers/cans handle those notes?)

Infinity Reference System

From what i hear on my ipad, my system sounds better than the first two, but of course, it's hard to tell.

Regarding speaker cables, i am really satisfied with my Acoustic Zen satori shotgun (i don't need bi-wiring anymore but kept those and use both trunks of course to hook my speakers up). I have owned them for more than 10 years. They cost around 1k but are worth it. There is better out there for that kind of money now last time i checked. These are made out of around 25 small solid core up-occ wires per trunk so not much skin effect. They bring a nice balance and great resolving power to the party.

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #1,116 of 11,282
From what i hear on my ipad, my system sounds better than the first two
my system smoked all of them, then I switched from ipad speaker to apple ear buds
and those results made more sense :)

If I ever splurge on speaker wire it will be on Canadian Solen SSCH49-10CMC (unless 8M of Supra's bifilar litz shows up on hifishark)
For now I'm waiting on heat shrink tubing and then I'm WBT soldering Furez connectors on budget tinned copper

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #1,117 of 11,282
Kingwa has designed a few USB converters over the years, but they don't last long for various reasons. I've thought of dropping an F-1 inside the R2R 7, but he has essentially made that unnecessary, which is better overall.

It is possible to buy a R2R 7 with Singxer F1 installed inside from Magna Hifi: https://magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/agd-r2r7

The question is which option is better after the Amanero isolator and PSU upgrades.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #1,119 of 11,282
I picked up a pair of these second hand many years ago. I've tried many different cables over the years but these remain my favorite.
Good to hear i am not just a crazy old man. I remember getting these, they were such an obvious upgrade. The kind of buy involving quite a substantial amount while you don't care so much as the benefits are so obvious, Getting what you pay for is not always evident these days. That is one of the reasons i like audio-gd so much. That and the old school approach with which quality is directly proportional to weight. And because of Kingwa's constant obssession with improving his products. And finally, for the great customer service offered by the man himself.

Mar 10, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,120 of 11,282
In fact, if Kingwa improves/re-tunes the accurate fw to be softer on the ears which would make that i can use the on-dac upsampling, i would seriously consider the mano ultra streamer. Getting the computer out of my setup is most probably my next move. Sick and tired of all those deamons and stuff running in the background, and managing that crap called an OS.

He has. It's the original firmware!

Mar 10, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,121 of 11,282
He has. It's the original firmware!
Not sure i follow. The original i got is the smooth one. The accurate, which came after, sounds better but only with the 6 moons setting upsampling by software IMO. Otherwise, it's too harsh or not dynamic enough when using the nos modes. Is there a 3rd option i don't know of?

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #1,122 of 11,282
That's what I mean. The smooth firmware. The set-up I have now with the accurate firmware and the Master 9 is a bit mellow, though rather brutal on less than great recordings. I prefer it with the iZotope linear phase filter in Audirvana Plus.

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,123 of 11,282
I could have sworn the release FW for the R2R 7 was the original S2 = NOS version (no. 2 below) that came out in Apr/ May 2017. Seems smooth and accurate were released toward the end of summer 2017. Unless something was released differently for the R2R 7 vs Singularity 7 (or Master 7 Singularity as it is called today on AGD website).

There has been maybe five FW versions for the Singularity digital board. 1. Original S7 (no S2 = NOS), 2. first S2 = NOS, 3. smooth, 4. accurate. Also a legendary 5th version called "No Click" that Kingwa handed out to a select few just immediately prior to smooth and accurate. "No Click" or "v7" corrected the cutoff on the beginning of songs with different sampling rates that affected FW versions 1 and 2. All five versions have different checksums. Perhaps "No Click" was the first R2R 7 release but I thought I was paying attention in spring/ summer 2017.

Here are the checksums of what I collected for Singularity FW.
Original S7 firmware (no NOS) 0x0298724E
First S2 enabled NOS firmware 0x02901FA6
Smooth 0x0289DE70
Accurate 0x02966D4D
No Click (v7?) ???

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,124 of 11,282
Kingwa sent me this about 6 months ago during moments of confusion about FW versions. Seems no. 2 above was the original R2R 7 FW release.
------------
Dear Scott,
S2 enabled NOS firmware 0x02901FA6 (checksum) is the default version.
Kingwa

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,125 of 11,282
This is going to confuse people. The only two relevant firmware versions are the standard “smooth” and optional “accurate” versions. Only a handful of people have (had) any others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back