New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 23, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,081 of 11,282
I was able to play SACD ISO via USB and Singer's I2S (ASIO driver on both)

When I used to feed my Gustard X20 with Tanly over I2S, the left/right channels would swap during DSD playback.
If I used a Gustard U-12 instead it wouldn't be an issue. So the mismatch didn't stop music, just swapped channels (and who knows if the absolute phase was right).

Audio-gd follows psaudio's lvds i2s pinout, and the singxer's dip switches are set to that by default, so that worked out of the box for me.
If you have PSAudio's SACD player then I predict the I2S will work w/o issue, though I wonder if the music pops when the sample rate changes (ie: on start/stop)
Thanks! Magna did confirm it should work, but Kingwa's team from Audio-Gd does not want to confirm. I may give PS-audio a direct call later on. Sounds like logically, I can get R2R 7 and later get PS-audio, which I can return if won't work. PS-audio's manual did state they are willing to work with the other non-PS audio's manufacturer to make it work.

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #1,082 of 11,282
Hi,

Did you compare Audio GD Master 7 Singularity Vs R2R-7 units ?
The guy who bought my Terminator unit prefers the Terminator (Vs master 7 singularity).

Same for R2R-7 VS R2R7-HE, is there a significant gap?
Some of us use efficient PSU filtering like PSAudio, Gigawatt or Powergrip.
Maybe HE version is not usefull when using this kind of filters...

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,084 of 11,282
I just added a silver balanced cable to hook up the pre to the power amps and so far i like the smoothness and upper mid boost it brings to the party. The bass is also visceral. With it, the r2r 7 has become as lyrical as my old m-7 was or close. I still am amazed at how good the treble is now, and even more so with the silver cable. Bought it on ebay, it is made by ms audio. Mind-blowing build quality at this price point.

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #1,085 of 11,282
I just added a silver balanced cable to hook up the pre to the power amps and so far i like the smoothness and upper mid boost it brings to the party. The bass is also visceral. With it, the r2r 7 has become as lyrical as my old m-7 was or close. I still am amazed at how good the treble is now, and even more so with the silver cable. Bought it on ebay, it is made by ms audio. Mind-blowing build quality at this price point.
Silver works great for a great system! If silver works that means your other components are of great quality, as it is very revealing. I imagine it would work very well for R2R given its more natural sound without bright edge. Can u tell us which cable is this on EBay?

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #1,086 of 11,282
Can u tell us which cable is this on EBay?
Bought it on ebay, it is made by ms audio.

I'm not a good listener either -- Fred told me his cables were litz'd and somehow I missed that.
Seems like outrageously low prices for Litz'd silver
upload_2018-3-1_0-10-54.png

upload_2018-3-1_0-13-14.png

yeah compared to the sabre DACs I've owned, I can get away with much more silver with the r2r7 in play.
I'm waiting on a pair of Morrow MA4's ($222 when you trade in an old cable)

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #1,087 of 11,282
These are indeed the cables i use, only the interconnect is the balanced one. Certain silver interconnects are very smooth, for instance the Acoustic Zen Silver Reference, which i owned at some point. The ms audio is as smooth and as good as far as i can remember. For a fraction of the price. But with the accurate fw, you have to be cautious. Not all modes are easy on the ears.

As for matchng, you have to be looking for a cable that opens up the soundstage by boosting the upper mids a little. I would not call this cable perfectly neutral and transparent. It has a signature but a pleasing one as far as i am concerned. Another thing to know is it needs beyond 150 hours to reach its full potential. At first, it will lack bass extension and mids. In the end, it seems like it will sound rather flat with the aforementioned boost. Another strong characteristics is how smooth it sounds. It smooths things up a little but without rolling off the highs. You get a lot of info without it being harsh in any way.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #1,091 of 11,282
Be careful with very cheap "silver" cables as they are probably not silver, but SPC.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #1,092 of 11,282
Whatever these cable are made of, they are very good. But i think it's silver.

Let's see, an once of silver is worth 16usd. You don't need so much to make a cable. 16 stands of 1m weighting 1g each or so. So around 8$ worth of silver. The wire itself has a production cost but note that it is not occ silver, so it should not be so expensive.

So it is perfectly pausible that this cable is made of silver, coming from Taiwan and being sold directly. Plus IMO, it sounds like it. So i have absolutely no reason to believe it is anything else.

Audiophile cable manufacturers have huge markups, that is all there is to it. Except for the Chinese ones.

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #1,093 of 11,282
yeah compared to the sabre DACs I've owned, I can get away with much more silver with the r2r7 in play.

I really like the MA4´s, seems totally transparent and sufficient total gauge..like no connection between the gear...
But the past month I have been trying all ACSS. Even with the generic cables Audio-GD sells I think this is a pretty amazing path (i think the source and receiving components need some breaking in though) and I find I do not currently miss the MA4´s, but I have yet to put them back in my system to see if I am missing anything...

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #1,094 of 11,282
Here also silver throughout the system: USB, interlinks including ACSS, I2S, speaker, all Tubulus Argentus silver cable. They use solid wires in a tube construction, sounds never sharop but still very detailled
Thanks for the link...
I was a little excited about the i2s.. looks flexible and fantastic build quality.. then I saw the price :ksc75smile:
Did you order the ACSS, or make them yourself... ?

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,095 of 11,282
Silver works great for a great system! If silver works that means your other components are of great quality, as it is very revealing. I imagine it would work very well for R2R given its more natural sound without bright edge. Can u tell us which cable is this on EBay?
I'm not a good listener either -- Fred told me his cables were litz'd and somehow I missed that.
Seems like outrageously low prices for Litz'd silver

I agree that silver works great if you have great system. My KG T2 and 009 is awesome, and I keep craving for silver wires everywhere.

Litz is just a type of wires construction, the silver maybe common OFC silver. In which senses it may help the pricing for being lower, and in contrast to UP-OCC or any other OCC+Litz = much more exotic and expensive.

On the other hand. Do we have any R2R DAC with similar build but using through hole solder instead of SMD ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back