New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 20, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #1,066 of 11,278
NOS = Non-OverSampling. Technically worse than the default oversampling mode, but some people like it as it sounds smoother. Other people put the DAC into NOS mode and use software up-sampling on a computer instead.
I do know what NOS is but what exactly are these different types of NOS on R2R 7 ? Look likes there are 4 modes of NOS to choose correct?

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,067 of 11,278
I do know what NOS is but what exactly are these different types of NOS on R2R 7 ? Look likes there are 4 modes of NOS to choose correct?
Kingwa said:

The R2R 7 had 4 types NOS modes.
While S2 = OFF, the R2R7 working in oversampling state (Like the master 7 mode), it can support 8X,4X,2X and the class NOS setting.
While the S2= ON, It working in NOS modes, (Like the NOS7), there are 3 modes different NOS modes.
Mode 1 is simply process .
Mode 2 is FIFO mode process.
Mode 3 is ultra high speed process.
There are some different sound flavors ,depend on the users taste, I am consider the Mode 1 is worst but it can support very high input sampling, so we put it on mode 1.

You have 1 NOS mode with digital filter applied and 3 NOS modes with a -6db analog filter.

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #1,068 of 11,278
Kingwa said:

The R2R 7 had 4 types NOS modes.
While S2 = OFF, the R2R7 working in oversampling state (Like the master 7 mode), it can support 8X,4X,2X and the class NOS setting.
While the S2= ON, It working in NOS modes, (Like the NOS7), there are 3 modes different NOS modes.
Mode 1 is simply process .
Mode 2 is FIFO mode process.
Mode 3 is ultra high speed process.
There are some different sound flavors ,depend on the users taste, I am consider the Mode 1 is worst but it can support very high input sampling, so we put it on mode 1.

You have 1 NOS mode with digital filter applied and 3 NOS modes with a -6db analog filter.
IS there a mode with no filter at all, pure NOS?

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,069 of 11,278
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,071 of 11,278
Ok, now I got it. So there is a jumper S2 to be turned on and then it will be in NOS, but with S2 "off", one can choose different oversampling rate for each of the 3 modes, correct?
Noup. With Jumper S2 OFF you're in OVERSAMPLING mode (x2, x4, x8) but you can still opt for a NOS (x1 actually) mode still with digital filter (IPSO 0 and IPSO 1 jumpers ON). With jumper S2 ON your in true NOS mode with 3 modes available depending on the jumpers used in IPSO 0 and IPSO 1.

http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R7/R2R7EN_Use.htm

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #1,072 of 11,278
Magna highly recommands to use 6moons settings (with PLL off) in case of using high quality source (high end clock) with I2S transport.
I should get my R2R-7 in 2 weeks so I'll able to test 6moons Vs NOS 3 settings

The best setting, really is the 6Moons setting in our view. We tested a lot and are very convinced, at least we like this setting most.
I like deep and wide stereo image; in NOS mode (S2 jumper) it seems a little bit smaller in our tests.

2 possible things to do:
1st: Do the oversampling on the source (I use Jriver software so it's easy) and let the R2R-7 on NOS mode
2nd: No oversampling on the source (input = output) and let the R2R-7 on 6moons settings (OS mode)

Can we turn PLL off with NOS 3 mode ?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #1,073 of 11,278
Magna highly recommands to use 6moons settings (with PLL off) in case of using high quality source (high end clock) with I2S transport.
I should get my R2R-7 in 2 weeks so I'll able to test 6moons Vs NOS 3 settings

2 possible things to do:
1st: Do the oversampling on the source (I use Jriver software so it's easy) and let the R2R-7 on NOS mode
2nd: No oversampling on the source (input = output) and let the R2R-7 on 6moons settings (OS mode)

Can we turn PLL off with NOS 3 mode ?
Yes, you can turn PLL off in any combination. Be aware that 6moons settings is NOS with digital filter, no oversampling at all.

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #1,074 of 11,278
Just a quick question, is the R2R-7 24 bits or 32 bits DAC ?
On JRiver, I can choose 24 bits or 32 bits (floating or interger).

On my old DAC-19 NOS (PCM1704UK), the correct setting was 32 bits integer. Maybe it's different for R2R technology.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #1,075 of 11,278
On JRiver, I can choose 24 bits or 32 bits (floating or interger).

On my old DAC-19 NOS (PCM1704UK), the correct setting was 32 bits integer. Maybe it's different for R2R technology.
USB / I2S mode: 44.1kHz - 384kHz /32Bit
Coaxial mode: 44.1kHz - 192kHz /24Bit
Optical mode: 44.1kHz - 192kHz /24Bit

Many of the questions asked recently are in the use manual of the product.

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #1,076 of 11,278

The discreet resistor DAC modules appear to be 24-bit. AGD is not specific but there are clues from the 6moons review.... "there's full control over the analog ladders whose resistor tolerance is compensated for true 24-bit resolution." and "Whilst on the subject of PCM, there is always the question how a ladder DAC can reach 24-bit resolution which requires 2*24 possible output levels."

32-bit ladder DACs are a fantasy as their implied signal to noise is 196dB. Even 24-bits s/n require 144dB signal to noise. In general these very low bits are swamped by the power supply noise. The R2R 7 with >120dB measured signal to noise is at best 20/21 bits in the real world (and is fantastic if linear). However, DSP algorithms can use these extra low-level bits for precision in calculating filters, etc.

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #1,077 of 11,278
gk2013 is right..actually many , if not most, Chinese DAC's are not compatible with the PS Audio pin setting.
For example my Gustard x-20 is not.
This is why certainty was important to me, I asked specifically the magna hifi people, and I thought of sharing the info..
Just to confirm from few statements before, that Audio-Gd's I2S are based on PS -audio or at least can be configured to PS-Audio and so one can use PS-audio SACD memory player to connect with audio-gd DAC with I2S correct? And hopefully DSD signal as well ?
Yes, buyer beware on HDMI I2S interface. But the original observation was about PS Audio PerfectWave and compatibility with the R2R 7. I am familiar with the spreadsheet and includes both DACs and DDCs. But I count 19 of 36 listed products as PS Audio compatible if you only consider PCM I2S. DSD has thrown another variable into the mix of late and there will be a some drop outs from that. But PCM I2S looks compatible as far as signaling on the connector pins on some of these dropouts. The Singxer SU-1 is smart to include switches to control signalling on the I2S pinout. I would say if you are designing new products that aren't PS Audio compatible you are limiting sales potential.
So this means we are not sure of the DSD can be sent from say the newer PS Audio SACD memory player to Audio-gd DACs via I2S?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #1,079 of 11,278
It maybe of interest for those (like me) who play cd's through a PS Audio memory player that the guys from Magna hi fi have expressly confirmed to me that the R2R 7's HDMI connector is indeed compatible.
Great! However someone state the DSD may not work via I2S either if the DAC is not from PS Audio, is that true? Have you tried using SACDs to play into the R2R ? Thanks!

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #1,080 of 11,278
I was able to play SACD ISO via USB and Singer's I2S (ASIO driver on both)

When I used to feed my Gustard X20 with Tanly over I2S, the left/right channels would swap during DSD playback.
If I used a Gustard U-12 instead it wouldn't be an issue. So the mismatch didn't stop music, just swapped channels (and who knows if the absolute phase was right).

Audio-gd follows psaudio's lvds i2s pinout, and the singxer's dip switches are set to that by default, so that worked out of the box for me.
If you have PSAudio's SACD player then I predict the I2S will work w/o issue, though I wonder if the music pops when the sample rate changes (ie: on start/stop)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back