New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 28, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #8,791 of 11,196
I need some tips regarding the CLPD update for R7HE (2020) via Xilinx Blaster. I walked through processes until the "Impact program" closed itself immediately after double-clicking on the green chip to install JED file. I'm working on a Windows 10 64-bit PC with ISE 14.6 and 14.7 installed. (Both resulted in the same things)

I have also tried installing the more appropriate ISE version, i.e. 14.7 for Windows 10 but couldn't completely install it as there are many programs needed afaik.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Image 001.jpg
    Image 001.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #8,792 of 11,196
I need some tips regarding the CLPD update for R7HE (2020) via Xilinx Blaster. I walked through processes until the "Impact program" closed itself immediately after double-clicking on the green chip to install JED file. I'm working on a Windows 10 64-bit PC with ISE 14.6 and 14.7 installed. (Both resulted in the same things)

I have also tried installing the more appropriate ISE version, i.e. 14.7 for Windows 10 but couldn't completely install it as there are many programs needed afaik.

Thank you.
I don't know if it could be the problem here but if you go to windows start menu and start typing core, it should give you the option for Core Isolation. I needed to turn it off when I flashed my R8 mk2 (not CLPD) using the other app, I can't remember the name of that app. So it could be the same thing here in this case.

Jun 28, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #8,793 of 11,196
I don't know if it could be the problem here but if you go to windows start menu and start typing core, it should give you the option for Core Isolation. I needed to turn it off when I flashed my R8 mk2 (not CLPD) using the other app, I can't remember the name of that app. So it could be the same thing here in this case.

Thanks for your help.

Quick solution. If anyone using Windows 10 64-bit PC to upgrade this, just follow this link. I successfully have it done by following it.

Jun 28, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #8,794 of 11,196

Try the 32-bit version of Xilinx Impact programming SW. The 64-bit version will not run on my Win 10 x64 machine. Just type Impact in the Win 10 search box to find (14.6).

Attachments

• Impact32.jpg
    Impact32.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #8,795 of 11,196
I only had the R7-HE 2018 model, with 2021 I2S upgrade, not the mkII model, and I didn't have the chance to compare it side by side to the HE-7 mkII. Nevertheless, it was easy for me to detect the differences, most of them I believe were due to the mkII models improvements over the old ones.

I haven't heard the R7-HE mkII, but from other users they sound pretty similar, being the HE-7 a "little" bit smoother and analog. As most of my music is not "audiophile", mostly classic pop and rock, I'm very sensitive to digital glare, and I don't care about hi-res formats, DSD, etc, I choose the HE-7 as I believe it would suit better my needs. Of course, in this hobbie everything matters, streamer, clocking, filtering, cables, etc, but the HE-7 it's a very good DAC, very engaging.

By the way I have never felt digital music so analog in any other system and I've heard some others considerably more expensive than mine with DACs of legenday brands. I'm not saying the HE-7 mkII is better than those DACs, as everything matters in the digital chain and in the system, but for sure it's not far behind at a fraction of the cost.

@DACLadder has both mkII versions, the HE-7 and the R7-HE. Maybe he can add something to my comments.
The HE-7 and R7-HE mk2 DACs sound more alike than different. Sort of makes sense as they share the same firmware, power supplies, and other electronics. The HE-7 is a touch warmer while the R7-HE has slightly more detail that is only noticeable on very low level passages. The HE-7 mk2 has the famous color in the PCM-1704 mid-range that keeps me coming back for more. On old school PCM music you can't beat the HE-7 presentation. If you like modern music with the nth degree resolution then stick with the R7-HE mk2. On the HE-7 mk2 I prefer the original PLL firmware. I get the most detail and dynamics (bass) with the older PLL. R7-HE mk2 differs as I like the newer PLL_N firmware.

The HE-7 mk2 break-in was so much more relaxing than the R7-HE mk2. It took months tor the R7-HE mk2 to run in and sound its best. The R7 mk2 V2 DAC boards take seemingly forever to lose the digital glare. Lots of ear burn during break in (750 to 1,000 hrs).

Both the R7-HE and HE-7 mk2 DACs sound better than previous generations of Kingwa's DACs. Lot more detail and precision with the mk2 electronics. Haven't heard the 2021 DACs so talking about 2020 and earlier DACs for comparison.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #8,796 of 11,196
Try the 32-bit version of Xilinx Impact programming SW. The 64-bit version will not run on my Win 10 x64 machine. Just type Impact in the Win 10 search box to find (14.6).

Thank you for your tip. I successfully upgraded it. Now will try on my DI-20HE.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #8,798 of 11,196
If you were sending a sine wave as output;
NOS at 44.1 khz: It won't look as sinus but your brain will interpret this as sinus.
OSx8: It would look at sinus but it is "interpolated" data : On real music, it will create "fake" data. It will sound smoother but sometimes less real. Too beautiful :)

My brain prefer NOS as it is more lively. Some brains prefer OS. Test, hear and choose.

Jul 2, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #8,799 of 11,196
If you were sending a sine wave as output;
NOS at 44.1 khz: It won't look as sinus but your brain will interpret this as sinus.
OSx8: It would look at sinus but it is "interpolated" data : On real music, it will create "fake" data. It will sound smoother but sometimes less real. Too beautiful :)

My brain prefer NOS as it is more lively. Some brains prefer OS. Test, hear and choose.
I've prefered always NOS over OS in all of my AGD DACs and I've had four of them.

Jul 2, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #8,801 of 11,196
The idea that smoother and softer is more "natural" is actually backwards. Live music is much harsher and edgier than you might imagine. Modern recordings are most often highly adulterated during the mastering process, and have lost most of their actual dynamics and sound. So, what a lot of people prefer is an unnaturally soft presentation of music. Saying that it sounds "more natural" is actually wrong.

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #8,802 of 11,196
The idea that smoother and softer is more "natural" is actually backwards. Live music is much harsher and edgier than you might imagine. Modern recordings are most often highly adulterated during the mastering process, and have lost most of their actual dynamics and sound. So, what a lot of people prefer is an unnaturally soft presentation of music. Saying that it sounds "more natural" is actually wrong.
It is debatable. Interpolated samples are best guesses. They contribute to a lower noise floor and better dynamics, but just the facts that engineers are still trying to find better ways of interpolating data is quite meaningful in my opinion. Pre-ringing for one thing is not a natural thing. So...

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #8,803 of 11,196
It is debatable. Interpolated samples are best guesses. They contribute to a lower noise floor and better dynamics, but just the facts that engineers are still trying to find better ways of interpolating data is quite meaningful in my opinion. Pre-ringing for one thing is not a natural thing. So...
Pre-ringing on an impulse response has nothing to do with music signals at all. An impulse response is an illegal signal, far out of bandwidth. So, the whole idea of pre-ringing on an impulse response being bad is a complete load of rubbish. You simply wont see behaviour like that on a bandwidth-limited musical signal.

However, if you put a music signal through a very short (eg: MQA-type) or no filter, you will see distortions on the actual musical signals. Again, everything about NOS being more natural is simply wrong. Doesn't mean it isn't nicer to listen to music with (I like it) but "natural" is it not.

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #8,804 of 11,196
It really doesn't matter. Digital "music" is anyway not music, it is an approximation of music. And as was said, depending on the mastering etc. the recording we get could be far from the actual performance. So there is no point in debating theories, the situation is far from perfect. Just pick what you like- whether that is the most musical and euphonic, the most lifelike etc.

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #8,805 of 11,196

I agree that live music is often harsher, edgier and much more dynamic. I also think that many playback system add its own edginess/harshness and it is the lack of added digital/analogue gremlins in a source/DAC/amp/speaker that can be described as smoother and more natural sounding. With that said I also like you believe that many people prefer a softer and more laid back sound than a IRL presentation of music sounds like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back