New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 25, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #8,776 of 11,225
Thank you guys ,, then i will start with the dac and see how things goes, also will check Morion clock .. appreciate the input

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #8,778 of 11,225
I'm curious if the new incarnation of R8HE (Mk2) got any closer to R7HE Mk2 in terms of SQ. Has anyone got a chance to A/B the two?

Just got a word from Kingwa that in NOS mode the two DACs are virtually the same, there is a slight difference in OS modes in terms of transparency... In this regard, I wonder if there are many users that prefer OS to NOS both for R8HE and R7HE..?

As an owner of R28 I mostly prefer NOS as it sounds more natural to my ears.. But I'm a bit concerned that R8HE (that provides better value for money and is currently my preferred option) could turn out to be too warm in terms of sound signature and I will have to opt for OS, which is inferior to R7HE..
I also like NOS modes on my AGD DACs.

I've had an old R2R-2, then a 2018 R8, then a 2018 R7-HE (with 2021 HDMI input upgrade) and now the HE-7 mkii. Every DAC bested the one before easily.

I can't comment on the R8-HE mkii vs R7-HE, Kingwa told me once there was about 5% of difference un SQ. I would go for the R8-HE with the DI-20HE. This combo for sure will sound better than the R7-HE alone, for the same money.

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #8,779 of 11,225
Hi guys,

Not sure it is the right place to post. I am interested in upgrading my R7HE/DI-20HE/Mutec Ref10 to other DACs. My targets are Holo May KTE, Rockna Wavedream and Mystique X.

I am actually happy with my AGD combo but the curiosity keeps popping up. Is there anyone have experience or comment to share? I just want to know whether it is worth upgrading in terms of price/SQ.

It will mostly for headphones including HE6, 1266 TC and Susvara to name a few. I don't need any fancy features like MQA, etc.

Thank you.
I've heard another systems with more expensive DACs (Chord Dave, Esoteric, T+A, Mark Levinson, etc) and I felt my system sounded more organic and natural. I think those systems had a worse source than mine. I know every part of a system matters, but the source plays a critical role.

What I mean is that you have a world class source and I think you could get more bang for the buck just upgrading the digital rig (cables, swithes, LAN isolators, etc).

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #8,780 of 11,225
I've heard another systems with more expensive DACs (Chord Dave, Esoteric, T+A, Mark Levinson, etc) and I felt my system sounded more organic and natural. I think those systems had a worse source than mine. I know every part of a system matters, but the source plays a critical role.

What I mean is that you have a world class source and I think you could get more bang for the buck just upgrading the digital rig (cables, swithes, LAN isolators, etc).

Thank you for the heads-up. Do you mind elaborating more about the world-class sources you would recommend?

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #8,782 of 11,225
I mean a good streamer (with Master Clock input if you have the Mutec), a good audiophile switch (the Etherregen can be also connected to the Mutec), LAN isolators, etc

Oh I see. thanks again :)

Jun 27, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #8,784 of 11,225
Once I buy the HDMI cable will I need to do anything special to make it work in the chain from my computer to the R-8?
You need a DDC with a compatible IIS (I2S) pinout. You can not run the R8 off a PC with an HDMI cable.

Jun 27, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #8,785 of 11,225
Actually, you can with something like the link below. (Pink Faun I2S Bridge)

Is it literally some kind of sound card that can output in I2S format. There are ranges of compatible DAC shown on the page including most all AGD DACs. You might need a dedicated PSU as well as knowledge to install that on a PC. Tbh, you should better go with DI-20 or DI-20HE to achieve the use of the I2S function on your R8.

https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/bridg...ridge.html#/194-bracket_height-120_mm_74_inch

Jun 27, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #8,786 of 11,225
I can't comment on the R8-HE mkii vs R7-HE, Kingwa told me once there was about 5% of difference un SQ. I would go for the R8-HE with the DI-20HE. This combo for sure will sound better than the R7-HE alone, for the same money.
Many thanks for your opinion! That's exactly my logic at the moment.. especially taking into account that I already own DI-20HE.. Moreover, since R8-HE now has an EC option, the sound quality could be further improved by adding a mid level external clock (Morion or the like), and it's still gonna be within the budget of R7 HE (without DI-20HE and EC).. or very close to it..
and now the HE-7 mkii. Every DAC bested the one before easily.
I've heard quite a number of positive reviews of HE-7.. Even though it doesn't offer native DSD support.. What's the advantage? Why do you consider it better than R7-HE? In terms of SQ, is there anything that you would want to specifically highlight?

Jun 27, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #8,787 of 11,225
Actually, you can with something like the link below. (Pink Faun I2S Bridge)

Is it literally some kind of sound card that can output in I2S format. There are ranges of compatible DAC shown on the page including most all AGD DACs. You might need a dedicated PSU as well as knowledge to install that on a PC. Tbh, you should better go with DI-20 or DI-20HE to achieve the use of the I2S function on your R8.

https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/bridg...ridge.html#/194-bracket_height-120_mm_74_inch
Ok, this is a DDC :wink:

Jun 27, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #8,789 of 11,225
Jun 27, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #8,790 of 11,225
I've heard quite a number of positive reviews of HE-7.. Even though it doesn't offer native DSD support.. What's the advantage? Why do you consider it better than R7-HE? In terms of SQ, is there anything that you would want to specifically highlight?
I only had the R7-HE 2018 model, with 2021 I2S upgrade, not the mkII model, and I didn't have the chance to compare it side by side to the HE-7 mkII. Nevertheless, it was easy for me to detect the differences, most of them I believe were due to the mkII models improvements over the old ones.

I haven't heard the R7-HE mkII, but from other users they sound pretty similar, being the HE-7 a "little" bit smoother and analog. As most of my music is not "audiophile", mostly classic pop and rock, I'm very sensitive to digital glare, and I don't care about hi-res formats, DSD, etc, I choose the HE-7 as I believe it would suit better my needs. Of course, in this hobbie everything matters, streamer, clocking, filtering, cables, etc, but the HE-7 it's a very good DAC, very engaging.

By the way I have never felt digital music so analog in any other system and I've heard some others considerably more expensive than mine with DACs of legenday brands. I'm not saying the HE-7 mkII is better than those DACs, as everything matters in the digital chain and in the system, but for sure it's not far behind at a fraction of the cost.

@DACLadder has both mkII versions, the HE-7 and the R7-HE. Maybe he can add something to my comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back