New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 20, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #8,821 of 11,260
I can't answer most of that but

1. The DI-20/HE can output word clock. It works perfectly well.

2. The R8 Mk2 does a beautiful job with DSD. I find it hard to believe the R7HE doesn't do it even better. But, I'm talking about playing DSD natively (SACD rips, for example). If you're transcoding PCM to DSD and then upsampling it, that sounds like a lot of hoop jumping for zero benefit. To each his own, and I'm sure your electric utility company sends you holiday cards :D

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #8,822 of 11,260
May I share my little dilemma?

For context: I now play with a Holo Spring 3 Level 2 DAC with preamp module built in -- with Afterdark Rosanna streamer and a DI-20HE both fed by a good Afterdark external clock. I upsample evrything to DSD256 (offline or on-the-fly) and am very happy. Also, an Audio-gd HE-1 Vacuum is on its way to compare with the Holo preamp. Before this I had Lampizator L/B7, Terminator 2 and Musician Pegasus (strangely enough in that order). With the Lampi and Holo I clearly prefer the SQ with DSD, and that includes PCM-upsampled DSD. With the Terminator and Pegasus the difference between PCM and DSD was less pronounced.

I read about the theories people have about PCM and DSD, and why one should be better than the other but, honestly, I do not take these very seriously. It often seems that these theories are used to reduce cognitive dissonance of already-made-up minds. My ears often tell me things that are at odds with these theories -- either way, depending on the specific setup. I am not for one or against the other format, it all depends on the gear involved. I continue to like to be surprised.

In spite of my proclaimed happiness -- you know the audiophile itch -- I am again investigating a next DAC and two are left to choose from: Merging (Hapi or Nadac, allow me to count them as one), and Audio-gd R7HE. Very different beasts indeed. Pros and cons (for my use case), partly factual, partly imagined:

R7HE pros:
- synergy with my beloved DI-20HE
- external 10MHz clock input (allowing me to use the Afterdark clock)
- tweakable (NOS, upsampling, PLL etc.)
- ACSS (although currently of no use)

RH7E cons:
- I trust the R7HE house style and all the raving reviews, however I do not know how it performs with DSD
- bulky and heavy

Merging pros:
- Ravenna protocol, simplifying my setup (alas this includes saying goodbye to DI-20HE and EtherRegen, which will be of no further use)
- undefeatable DSD performance as claimed by many
- volume control (not a real pro as I probably will not use it)
- multichannel option in case I take the 8 rather than 2 version (neither of immediate use)
- word clock input

Merging cons:
- possible mediocre PCM performance (moot if I only play DSD)
- the word clock input -- if used -- requires an additional device, such as an Antelope OCX HD
- no I2S or USB input (although the RJ45 input takes care of the higher resolutions up to DSD256; that is the whole point)

Anyone heard both these DACs?

Do I have to worry about the R7HE's performance when playing DSD?
I thought i was the only one but i also prefer dsd upsampling given the option.

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #8,823 of 11,260
I can't answer most of that but

1. The DI-20/HE can output word clock. It works perfectly well.

2. The R8 Mk2 does a beautiful job with DSD. I find it hard to believe the R7HE doesn't do it even better. But, I'm talking about playing DSD natively (SACD rips, for example). If you're transcoding PCM to DSD and then upsampling it, that sounds like a lot of hoop jumping for zero benefit. To each his own, and I'm sure your electric utility company sends you holiday cards :D

1 is a good point! It feels a bit odd that I would use the DI-20HE only for that, but it would be cheaper than the Antelope. With the added benefit that I do not have to say goodbye to my beloved DDC :) So thanks!

In my setup the hoop jumping (PC/Win11/JRiver/convolution > NUC/Win11PE/Russian APlayer/upsampling to DSD256 > Diretta > Rosanna endpoint) -- and especially the DSD256 upsamling bit -- gives a clear positive improvement. The first few months with the Spring 3 I listened to PCM only (as everybody was raving about that). But after having tried upsampled DSD out of curiosity, I could not go back. The improvement was confirmed by ears other than mine. Of course it may be different for others. It could be the Holo DSD implementation. That is why I am curious how that is with the R7HE...

And I still do not manage to use more electricity than I produce, however hard I try :wink:

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #8,825 of 11,260
Jul 20, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #8,826 of 11,260
In my setup the hoop jumping (PC/Win11/JRiver/convolution > NUC/Win11PE/Russian APlayer/upsampling to DSD256 > Diretta > Rosanna endpoint) -- and especially the DSD256 upsamling bit -- gives a clear positive improvement.

It could be you prefer oversampling with the music you listen to. I would bet it has more to do with oversampling than it does with transcoding. Have you tried just upsampling?

And I still do not manage to use more electricity than I produce, however hard I try :wink:

Well, they can't win 'em all :p

Jul 20, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #8,827 of 11,260
It could be you prefer oversampling with the music you listen to. I would bet it has more to do with oversampling than it does with transcoding. Have you tried just upsampling?

Yes tried that of course. PCM -- even when upsampled -- sounds a little more closed in than DSD, less relaxed. Again, it may be the Holo PCM vs DSD implementation, or something else specific for my chain.

Jul 20, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #8,828 of 11,260
Using which DAC?
With that said, after i got the di20he in my chain. Spdif 24/192 with the ares sounds better than dsd512 upsampling on the ares via usb directly.

Unfortunately the ares doesnt have any option other than coax or usb so I'm unable to use dsd512 with the di20he.

Jul 20, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #8,829 of 11,260
With that said, after i got the di20he in my chain. Spdif 24/192 with the ares sounds better than dsd512 upsampling on the ares via usb directly.

Unfortunately the ares doesnt have any option other than coax or usb so I'm unable to use dsd512 with the di20he.

Once you get the DI-20HE there is no more slippery slope. It's off the side of the cliff.

So, post the pics when your R7 is set up :wink:

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #8,831 of 11,260
Once you get the DI-20HE there is no more slippery slope. It's off the side of the cliff.

So, post the pics when your R7 is set up :wink:
Lol i wish, i don't have space for it unfortunately. I can't go bigger than the ares until i figure something out.

The di20he is starting to open up a bit after 5 days of running. Sounds amazing, I'm literally hearing new details in music that were not audible before.

It's like a metropolis flooded up to the 3rd story level and as the waters drain it reveals more detail of the cityscape.

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #8,832 of 11,260
Lol i wish, i don't have space for it unfortunately. I can't go bigger than the ares until i figure something out.

The di20he is starting to open up a bit after 5 days of running. Sounds amazing, I'm literally hearing new details in music that were not audible before.

It's like a metropolis flooded up to the 3rd story level and as the waters drain it reveals more detail of the cityscape.
With my matrix dac there is noise and hiss in AES in night time only ( no noise via I2S all time of the day )

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #8,833 of 11,260
With my matrix dac there is noise and hiss in AES in night time only ( no noise via I2S all time of the day )
I'm not hearing any noise whatsoever with my system, it is pitch black as it is with the coax connection. I would like to upgrade to the r8 to make use of the i2s connection but the size is the issue.

I've come to find that audio-gd's offerings are the best price vs performance and have my mind set on the r8 mk2. Just wish it was a bit smaller.

Until I can figure a way to fit it at my listening station, I'll stick with the ares.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back