New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 30, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #8,837 of 11,296
Is there a way to check what firmware is currently installed on my R-8 MK2? I bought it second hand and want to be sure it has the latest firmware installed. Also, if I get the DI-20 Accusilicon 90/98M Edition. Would I have to change the firmware to the External clock version?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #8,838 of 11,296
Is there a way to check what firmware is currently installed on my R-8 MK2? I bought it second hand and want to be sure it has the latest firmware installed. Also, if I get the DI-20 Accusilicon 90/98M Edition. Would I have to change the firmware to the External clock version?
Or would the built in clock on R8 be the same as the DI-20 clock?

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #8,839 of 11,296
Or would the built in clock on R8 be the same as the DI-20 clock?
You have to upload the fw and verify the checksum. But in fact, there are only two fws available, one allowing the external clock, the other is the regular version (no ext clock). In the settings, you will see if the user interface allows it or not, so which versïon you have. Refer to this page: http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R8mk2/R8mk2EN_Use.htm

The di20 uses the same Accusillicon clocks (98/90l) unless you buy an old one used. Then it could be 48/44 1 clocks, same brand.

You are better off getting an external clock after changing the user interface program chip and dsp fw (if you don't have the ext. Clock option) than getting the di20, which will gives maybe just a small upgrade sonically speaking. If any. An ext. clock would give a significant upgrade, even a cheaper one. The ext clock has to have a 75ohm out.

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #8,840 of 11,296
You have to upload the fw and verify the checksum. But in fact, there are only two fws available, one allowing the external clock, the other is the regular version (no ext clock). In the settings, you will see if the user interface allows it or not, so which versïon you have. Refer to this page: http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R8mk2/R8mk2EN_Use.htm

The di20 uses the same Accusillicon clocks (98/90l) unless you buy an old one used. Then it could be 48/44 1 clocks, same brand.

You are better off getting an external clock after changing the user interface program chip and dsp fw (if you don't have the ext. Clock option) than getting the di20, which will gives maybe just a small upgrade sonically speaking. If any. An ext. clock would give a significant upgrade, even a cheaper one. The ext clock has to have a 75ohm out.
Thank you for the info. What is the User interface program chip and DSP? Are you talking about upgrading the opamps?

Any suggestions for a cheaper ext. clock?

Jul 31, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #8,841 of 11,296
Thank you for the info. What is the User interface program chip and DSP? Are you talking about upgrading the opamps?

Any suggestions for a cheaper ext. clock?
Behind the faceplate, there is a chip on socket that needs to be changed. The dsp needs to be flashed through usb using a usb blaster, following the update procedure. Not easy to setup. Refer to this

http://www.audio-gd.com/Firmwaredownload.htm

As for clocks, check the di20 thread, you will see many options in the last 10 pagee.

Jul 31, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #8,842 of 11,296
The ext clock has to have a 75ohm out.

I think you pointed out last time that the clock connections are all 50 ohm?

Jul 31, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #8,844 of 11,296
Exept when you change the fw and mcu program to enable ext. clocking on a r8 mkii . The bnc in becomes a clock input and it's 75-ohm.

Wow! This feels awkwards. I hope Kingwa changes all the clocks to 75 ohm and simplifies this...

Jul 31, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #8,846 of 11,296
You have the option to get 75-ohm from factory.

If you live in Europe, not really. Because if we order anything from outside the EU we'll pay at least 2X the retail price if not much more. In my case, this was not even available for the R8 Mk2 at the time I bought mine.

And of course my comment was regarding all the Audio-gd gear. I think it would be great if Audio-gd went with the pro-audio standard of 75 ohm clock connections, which has been around at least since the 1980s.

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #8,847 of 11,296
If you live in Europe, not really. Because if we order anything from outside the EU we'll pay at least 2X the retail price if not much more. In my case, this was not even available for the R8 Mk2 at the time I bought mine.

And of course my comment was regarding all the Audio-gd gear. I think it would be great if Audio-gd went with the pro-audio standard of 75 ohm clock connections, which has been around at least since the 1980s.
Ext. Clocks offer 50 and 75-ohm about equally. Some say 50-ohm is better.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #8,848 of 11,296
Ext. clocks don't offer 50 and 75 ohm equally. The only 50 ohm clocks are in consumer/hifi, and they're probably less than 0.1% of all clocks. The 75 ohm clock has been a standard for over 40 years. It was a bad idea to go against the standard, and this caused another wave of connectivity issues. It's even worse than I2S incompatibility, it's senseless and for no benefit.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #8,849 of 11,296
Ext. clocks don't offer 50 and 75 ohm equally. The only 50 ohm clocks are in consumer/hifi, and they're probably less than 0.1% of all clocks. The 75 ohm clock has been a standard for over 40 years. It was a bad idea to go against the standard, and this caused another wave of connectivity issues. It's even worse than I2S incompatibility, it's senseless and for no benefit.
Why do mutec and many others, including Cybershaft offer it? There is a reason.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #8,850 of 11,296
Why do mutec and many others, including Cybershaft offer it? There is a reason.

Well, Mutec gear is all 75 ohm in and out except for the REF10 as far as I know which has just (2) 50 ohm outputs, since most people buying that clock will not be using it with consumer hifi. The reason is simply that hifi gear was made that didn't use the existing standard. I am not sure why it isn't universally obvious that gratuitous change in these kinds of situations is just bad.

I wouldn't say Mutec and Cybershaft in the same sentence though :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back