New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 25, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #11,311 of 11,368
@Daniel4IEM

Thanks for chiming in, @Currawong, @OCC7N , @Patswalker !

I can’t make any sense of the website, but what I would love to know is what I gain for each of the options listed below:
Add DI24 (to R28NOS)R27 MKIIR27 RER27 HELeast expensive combo of separates- R-8HE MK3+ Master 9 MK3
Total out of pocket cost to me$648$2099$2390$3390$2290+ $1138= $3428
What I gainBest amplification

Appreciate any additional help here!
"If it is only for headphones. DI20HE/R1N"
"If it is only for speakers DI20/R8H3"

EDIT: The above is not completely correct from my opinion: R1N is just more forgiving, the R8H3 needs more specific headphones and can easily work well with Susvara.

That is why you should start with DI20/24HE for your R28NOS and see if it matches expectations.

If you listen to headphones for longer sessions R8H3 needs really good pairing with cables. It punches and is hard hitting. I did not realise this before I got use to the R1N/DI20HE which is phenomenal experience. The most valuable difference that R8H2 has over the R1N is channel separation, is scissor sharp, and the extra lowend that feels like an "added" subwoofer.

If you notice the small things in life I am certain the DI20/24HE will make your R28NOS elevate a class up.

If you decide to get the DI24HE ask @sajunky about USB isolators, I think all Laptop needs one. Use it before the DI24HE

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #11,312 of 11,368
Good morning,
I would like to know your adjustment advice
I have an R2R7 with magma modifications. I therefore have a facade with 5 indications:
mode: ok 8x I prefer
dith: What do you recommend?
pll: What do you recommend?
Dis: What do you advise me?

THANKS

I would like to have the most precise sound!

May 26, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #11,313 of 11,368
Thanks for chiming in, @Currawong, @OCC7N , @Patswalker !

I can’t make any sense of the website, but what I would love to know is what I gain for each of the options listed below:
Add DI24 (to R28NOS)R27 MKIIR27 RER27 HELeast expensive combo of separates- R-8HE MK3+ Master 9 MK3
Total out of pocket cost to me$648$2099$2390$3390$2290+ $1138= $3428
What I gainBest amplification

Appreciate any additional help here!
Email Kingwa and ask him. He'll give you a straight answer.

May 26, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #11,314 of 11,368
Good morning,
I would like to know your adjustment advice
I have an R2R7 with magma modifications. I therefore have a facade with 5 indications:
mode: ok 8x I prefer
dith: What do you recommend?
pll: What do you recommend?
Dis: What do you advise me?

THANKS

I would like to have the most precise sound!
Depends on the actual fw you have. Dithering and pll do not exist anymore in the latest iterations.

"Dis" is just to turn the display off automatically when not using the control buttons.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #11,316 of 11,368
Email Kingwa and ask him. He'll give you a straight answer.
Here's what I heard from audio-gd (not Kingwa) in response to my table :

Channel: If you do not replace the R28 NOS, adding DI24 can improve the sound quality of the R28 NOS.

The three models of the R27 series have a variety of OS and NOS configurations, if configured to NOS, the sound color is more similar to R28 NOS, if configured to OS, the configuration of each file will become clearer and more dynamic, which can be adjusted by the customer to match different headphones and preferences.

The R27 can switch the IN2 second set of inputs to a 10Mhz external clock interface after changing the EC firmware, which is compatible with using an external clock.

R27 series of three models, MK2 should be enough to use, RE is to improve the sound quality, but the power is slightly smaller, for most headphones is also enough to drive, HE is with better sound quality and more power models, ear amplifier part is equivalent to HE9, of course, because it is a comprehensive machine, the power is not as good as the split machine completely digital and analog separation. It cannot reach the level of separated HE9.

If you choose the last configuration, it is recommended to replace the Master-9 MK3 with the HE-9 LE with better sound quality, as we believe that the HE-9 LE can better fulfill the potential of the R8HE MK3.

Me: Thank you very much for the information. Since I don’t need any more headphone amp power and my goal is better sound it seems like my best bet is either the 27RE or just adding the DI 24 - how would you describe the difference in sound quality between those two options?

Channel: With the addition of DI24 to the R28 NOS, the DAC sounds better than the NOS mode of the R27RE. In the ear amplifier output part, the R27RE dynamic and driving force is better.

So, for me it comes down to adding DI 24 to R28NOS or jumping up to R27RE. The former is easier, and cheaper, and I could always upgrade to R27 later...

May 28, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #11,317 of 11,368
So, for me it comes down to adding DI 24 to R28NOS or jumping up to R27RE. The former is easier, and cheaper, and I could always upgrade to R27 later...
The good thing about doing that is, the DI 24 can always be used with whatever better Audio-gd DAC you end up getting.

May 28, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #11,318 of 11,368

Channel: If you do not replace the R28 NOS, adding DI24 can improve the sound quality of the R28 NOS.

The three models of the R27 series have a variety of OS and NOS configurations, if configured to NOS, the sound color is more similar to R28 NOS, if configured to OS, the configuration of each file will become clearer and more dynamic, which can be adjusted by the customer to match different headphones and preferences.

The R27 can switch the IN2 second set of inputs to a 10Mhz external clock interface after changing the EC firmware, which is compatible with using an external clock.

R27 series of three models, MK2 should be enough to use, RE is to improve the sound quality, but the power is slightly smaller, for most headphones is also enough to drive, HE is with better sound quality and more power models, ear amplifier part is equivalent to HE9, of course, because it is a comprehensive machine, the power is not as good as the split machine completely digital and analog separation. It cannot reach the level of separated HE9.

If you choose the last configuration, it is recommended to replace the Master-9 MK3 with the HE-9 LE with better sound quality, as we believe that the HE-9 LE can better fulfill the potential of the R8HE MK3.

Me: Thank you very much for the information. Since I don’t need any more headphone amp power and my goal is better sound it seems like my best bet is either the 27RE or just adding the DI 24 - how would you describe the difference in sound quality between those two options?

Channel: With the addition of DI24 to the R28 NOS, the DAC sounds better than the NOS mode of the R27RE. In the ear amplifier output part, the R27RE dynamic and driving force is better.

Thank you for posting this. I have the R27RE in one room. I have the HE-9 LE in another. Am I reading that the difference between the R27RE and R27HE is that the headphone section of the R27HE is equivalent to the HE-9 LE? If I pull the R27RE into the room and connect its dac to the HE-9 LE would I then have the R27HE? I already have a Schiit Yggi OG connected to the HE-9 LE and it would be pretty cool to have the option to switch between the two.

May 28, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #11,319 of 11,368

I use a simple trick with my r2r 11 mkii. I raise bit depth in Volumio to 24 using the highest quality setting. It gives a significant upgrade. The effect is likely smaller with the r28 nos but worth a try. Sw upsampling could also work. The di20he has a big impact on sound quality with the r2r mkii. And as @Currawong said, the di24 will improve sound quality with pretty much any dac.

May 28, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #11,320 of 11,368
I use a simple trick with my r2r 11 mkii. I raise bit depth in Volumio to 24 using the highest quality setting. It gives a significant upgrade. The effect is likely smaller with the r28 nos but worth a try. Sw upsampling could also work. The di20he has a big impact on sound quality with the r2r mkii. And as @Currawong said, the di24 will improve sound quality with pretty much any dac.
Just realizing there are two models here. What is the difference between DI-24 and DI-24 HE? To date I have been assuming the former at $648

May 29, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #11,324 of 11,368
A fancy one, like a psaudio but even better, cause using only old-school circuits (no switching amplification or psu).
Sweet! Well that definitely intrigues me. I was noticing recently how night listening is so much better and wondered how much of it has to do with “dirty” vs “clean” power.

@FredA how would you describe the improvement in sound quality by adding DI-24 (in my case to R28NOS)? As in what attributes of the sound get better?

May 29, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #11,325 of 11,368
Sweet! Well that definitely intrigues me. I was noticing recently how night listening is so much better and wondered how much of it has to do with “dirty” vs “clean” power.

@FredA how would you describe the improvement in sound quality by adding DI-24 (in my case to R28NOS)? As in what attributes of the sound get better?
I can only say for the r2r mkii but things should be similar. One thing though, things get even better using an external clock on the di20he with the r2r 11 mkii. This could be a subsequent upgrade for you. And we'll worth it with the r2r 11 mkii.

Soundstaging aquires depth and resolution increases. While the sound gets more relaxed and musical. With the ext clock, the mkii is in the same league as a 3-4k dac (without ext clocking). The changes adding an ext clock are more noticeable I would say using loudspeakers. It makes things even more real.

I would invite @OCC7N to comment cause he knows what the di20he has done for his r1-nos, which has a similar design to your unit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back