New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 20, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #8,416 of 11,260
Square wave clocks are easier to lock and recommended by almost everybody over sine wave.

Gustard has only 50 ohm outputs which is fine for Audio-gd gear and some other hifi gear but not much pro gear where 75 ohms has been standard for decades.

Any pro audio cable ought to be fine. The guys recording live and doing post production in studios don't use boutique cables.

Good clocks are the essence of digital music reproduction. Sure there is diminishing return like with everything. When I get the money I'll buy a REF10.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #8,417 of 11,260
Hi guys, sorry if this is off-topic but perhaps Fred other head-fiers can share me some light about the external clock.

I am interested in getting queensland DIY Morion MV89a as Fred suggested long times ago in here and DI-20 thread. It will be feeding to my SOTM SMS-200 Ultra Neo, DI-20HE and R7HE (2020 model) which are all 50 ohms. So here are my questions below.

1. Sine or Square wave?
2. queensland 12VDC PSU or other? any recommendation?
3. Any recommend BNC cable to used with? (just to match this queensland unit in term of price and quality)

To be honest, I am more into Afterdark or Mutec Ref10 but those are so expensive. I think it is a good idea to have an initial comparison (int. clock vs morion ext. clock) before making a big investment. So, here is another question if I'm happy with the external clock.

3. If the budget is limited (mid-high end), should I focus on a higher clock model (1 output) or a less expensive one with more clock output? (I own 3 devices that can get ext. clock: SOTM, DI-20HE, R7HE) / 1-output Afterdark EVA vs. "used" Mutec Ref10 vs. Gustard C16 - C18

Thank you guys.
1) sine for the Sotm and square for audio-gd. Altough sotm should take square as well. Queensland allows mixing output types.
2) i used an ultra-low noise psu with Talema transformer i got from minishow0328 on ebay. Also, I really like the products from the ASYPDZSW Store on Ali (zerozone). I got a super-psu on the way as an upgrade for my usbridge. I think that same psu would work really well for a master clock. You can message them for questions.
3) There are many rg-402 and rg-400 offerings on ebay that will work fine.
4) Having the best possible clock on the r7he is what matters the most.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #8,418 of 11,260
Not much out there, if any, for audiophile 50 ohm coax cables. The RG-400/402 cables on Ebay work fine for the -.25m-0.5m lengths needed in my installation. RG-402 is actually nice cable stock (double shielded, silver plated, wide bandwidth) compared to the old RG-58 50 ohm coax. The BNC connectors on the cheap Ebay cables are suspect but work fine if you plug them in and leave alone.

Mar 20, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #8,419 of 11,260
Good clocks are the essence of digital music reproduction. Sure there is diminishing return like with everything. When I get the money I'll buy a REF10.

Me too. That's why I plan to get Morion and save money for the big next step. Thank you for the heads-up.

1) sine for the Sotm and square for audio-gd. Altough sotm should take square as well. Queensland allows mixing output types.
2) i used an ultra-low noise psu with Talema transformer i got from minishow0328 on ebay. Also, I really like the products from the ASYPDZSW Store on Ali (zerozone). I got a super-psu on the way as an upgrade for my usbridge. I think that same psu would work really well for a master clock. You can message them for questions.
3) There are many rg-402 and rg-400 offerings on ebay that will work fine.
4) Having the best possible clock on the r7he is what matters the most.

On big thanks for the sine for sotm. I thought square is a rule of thumb. I will follow what you suggested on PSU and BNC cables.

So for you, one best/top clock right "only" to the DAC (r7HE) is definitely a better choice than a mid-end-quality clock for all gears. Do I understand correctly?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #8,420 of 11,260
Me too. That's why I plan to get Morion and save money for the big next step. Thank you for the heads-up.

On big thanks for the sine for sotm. I thought square is a rule of thumb. I will follow what you suggested on PSU and BNC cables.

So for you, one best/top clock right "only" to the DAC (r7HE) is definitely a better choice than a mid-end-quality clock for all gears. Do I understand correctly?
Yes. My take on sine for sotm is the fact sotm master clocks are sine. Could sork as well with square, who knows...

Clocking all 3 units with a commom clock will give better result but 80-90% is from clocking the dac. You'll see if you get the Morion.

Mar 20, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #8,421 of 11,260
Yes. My take on sine for sotm is the fact sotm master clocks are sine. Could sork as well with square, who knows...

Clocking all 3 units with a commom clock will give better result but 80-90% is from clocking the dac. You'll see if you get the Morion.
I was gonna add that last point but @FredA got there first. One master clock into as much gear as you have will give the best results.

For me that's another reason the REF10 is a top choice if you can spend the money on it.

Mar 20, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #8,423 of 11,260
Hi guys
One question.

I have 1m long BNC cables between my Morion clock and the three devices it drives. I can't use shorter lengths.

Are RG-400/402 cables the best option for the 50 ohm inputs? Any advice?
They are among the best for the application. The rg402 even more so. High banwidth, excellent shielding. rg402 is silver-plated. It is a bendable wire, so it does not look like high-end but it's normal. This seems like a good seller

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BNC-male-to...1-Semi-flexible-rigid-cable-blue/194551771362

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #8,424 of 11,260
@PLGA With short BNC cables you may not notice much difference in performance. But RG402 wire is higher performing than the common RG58. And is cheap as well so makes sense to swap them out. If they don't work out then you haven't spent much money.

As with any system the better spec wire really benefits longer cable runs. I am thinking about using RG402 for a 25 ft (8 meters) run from the Mutec Ref 10 to the M7S 2020 in my PC system. Will be interesting to see if sound is better with Ref 10/ long cable versus Oscilloquarz sine wave 10M oscillator and a short cable.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #8,425 of 11,260

I also get the same answer from Adrian, Afterdark. I asked whether I should get Emperor Trifecta (3 outputs) or just one EVA if the budget is limited. He suggested the emperor at first but after realizing it will be used with R7HE, he then strongly recommends the EVA even though I can afford only the single output version due to the fact that R7HE is a very high-resolution DAC and will be perfectly shined with EVA.

I will find out the basics of the external clock with Morion and let you know. Thank you!

I was gonna add that last point but @FredA got there first. One master clock into as much gear as you have will give the best results.

For me that's another reason the REF10 is a top choice if you can spend the money on it

Totally agree. My nirvana would be either Trifecta EVA or REF10. Can't wait to save the money. Thank you!

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #8,426 of 11,260
Totally agree. My nirvana would be either Trifecta EVA or REF10. Can't wait to save the money. Thank you!

I was gonna get the Morion but importing it would at least double the cost, so @FredA had doubts it was worth it. Then we talked about the Gustard and then a clock that Magna or some other shop had and by the time you look at the kind and number of outputs and how much things cost, the REF10 starts to look like a good idea. Especially for me, since I live in the next country from Mutec and I have a few of their boxes and I get good service from them. For me it's safer than buying an expensive clock from companies further away.

It will be a while for me though unless I get a nice surprise. Too many other things ahead of it on the list...

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #8,427 of 11,260
Hi guys. Is the R7HE (2019 version) also 5v output on the XLR and 2.5v on the RCAs like the MK2?

Mar 22, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #8,429 of 11,260
My distributor only had a Gustard C18 clock and an expensive Mutec REF 10.
I chose the C18 and I am satisfied.
Complete with the Gustard C18 clock is the RG400 cable, the other BNC cable I bought the Gustard C2 which is a bit similar to the RG402.
Living in Europe, I would also consider the MK508-PRO-10 MHz clock, which has better parameters than the Mutec REF 10, Magna Hifi has it in its offer.

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #8,430 of 11,260
My distributor only had a Gustard C18 clock and an expensive Mutec REF 10.
I chose the C18 and I am satisfied.
Complete with the Gustard C18 clock is the RG400 cable, the other BNC cable I bought the Gustard C2 which is a bit similar to the RG402.
Living in Europe, I would also consider the MK508-PRO-10 MHz clock, which has better parameters than the Mutec REF 10, Magna Hifi has it in its offer.

Good to hear nice comment about C18. There are not many reviews here yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back