New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 16, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #8,401 of 11,304
To uncompressed .RAR files I use WinRAR. Available in many languages and 32/64 bit versions. It is still the evaluation copy and they always bug me for money but the eval version still works. I should pay them some money the number time I have used it. But the evaluation is good for 40 days.
https://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0
or just use 7zip and then no guilt complex (thats what I did) :darthsmile:

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #8,402 of 11,304
Successfully get back the old R8 (2019) with clock interface. Everything is perfect. Su2 and R8 are connected to 10m clock. The only problem is that there is a large current sound when playing dsd128. But tonight is still a dream night. I haven't heard music for a month. I must enjoy myself today.QQ图片20220316214035.jpg

Can you tell us a bit more about the experience with external clock on R8? Not sure if Kingwa will provide the upgrade to other R8 customers.

Mar 17, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #8,404 of 11,304
Also a question- if you use an external clock with su2 and then use I2S do you need to send a clock signal to r8?

My understanding was that on I2S the source controls the clock?
I2S is asynchronous and no longer uses I2S clocks for D/A and digital filters (mid 2019 change). Now the DAC uses either internal XOs or external 10M synthesized clocks if capable.

So, 10M will have much greater affect on the DAC versus DDC. I use 10M on both to be consistent but trust my ears ultimately.

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #8,405 of 11,304
Can you tell us a bit more about the experience with external clock on R8? Not sure if Kingwa will provide the upgrade to other R8 customers.
I look forward to handsdady sharing his listening experience....
Kingwa said he needed to fix a noise issue on DSD128 before posting the upgrade on the website. In addition to soldering the 75ohm BNC in place of the coax connector and updating the firmware, the display needs an update for enabling/disabling and showing the presence of the 10M source. The display will then also show the sampling rate as depicted in handsdady's photo.

Mar 17, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #8,406 of 11,304
Speaking of MKii components, i sure hope the r2r 11 mkii will start selling more. It greatly benefits from the servo-controlled psus applied to digital and runs also cooler. It really is fantastic, my office setup shines in big part because of it. It has a sound signature of which you never get tired, just like the original. But the sound is obviously more refined. It is an amazing piece of gear. And it can drive most planars adequately.
I have it, and the R-27HE incoming. Thankfully the weather hasn't gotten too warm yet, so leaving both on for run-in wont be an issue (even if explaining the power bill to my wife later on might be).

Mar 17, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #8,407 of 11,304
I look forward to handsdady sharing his listening experience....
Kingwa said he needed to fix a noise issue on DSD128 before posting the upgrade on the website. In addition to soldering the 75ohm BNC in place of the coax connector and updating the firmware, the display needs an update for enabling/disabling and showing the presence of the 10M source. The display will then also show the sampling rate as depicted in handsdady's photo.
Good news, after 4 days of uninterrupted playback, the fault disappeared. There is no noise during dsd128 playback. I'll email Kingwa and tell him later.

Mar 17, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #8,408 of 11,304
Good news, after 4 days of uninterrupted playback, the fault disappeared. There is no noise during dsd128 playback. I'll email Kingwa and tell him later.
You just made my day! Glad the issue disappeared. Can you share your listening impressions?

Mar 18, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #8,409 of 11,304
I have it, and the R-27HE incoming. Thankfully the weather hasn't gotten too warm yet, so leaving both on for run-in wont be an issue (even if explaining the power bill to my wife later on might be).
Great.
Power is cheap where i am. You can run both gears for 8$ month. The r2r 11 mkii costs under 2$.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #8,412 of 11,304
A few words about the Gustard C18 clock after 300 hours of operation.
Technically it is very good, it pairs with the DI20HE and R7HE MK2 every time.
Now a few words on improving the sound.
In my opinion, with the Gustard C18 clock all instruments are more realistic, sound more natural and clean, there is even better separation of instruments.There is definitely less distortion.
You can buy a better clock, but for a much higher price, especially in Europe.The C18 brings a big improvement to the sound anyway.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #8,413 of 11,304
A few words about the Gustard C18 clock after 300 hours of operation.
Technically it is very good, it pairs with the DI20HE and R7HE MK2 every time.
Now a few words on improving the sound.
In my opinion, with the Gustard C18 clock all instruments are more realistic, sound more natural and clean, there is even better separation of instruments.There is definitely less distortion.
You can buy a better clock, but for a much higher price, especially in Europe.The C18 brings a big improvement to the sound anyway.
It is a great value. Glad there is some feedback on it now. These ext. clocks are a very nice finishing touch. Some extra icing on the cake. The Audio-gd dacs get the next level with them. Once used to it, you can't go without.

Lately, i made many cable improvements, i can say my digital source is now more fluid than my FM tuner. Grainless sound.

Mar 20, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #8,415 of 11,304
Hi guys, sorry if this is off-topic but perhaps Fred other head-fiers can share me some light about the external clock.

I am interested in getting queensland DIY Morion MV89a as Fred suggested long times ago in here and DI-20 thread. It will be feeding to my SOTM SMS-200 Ultra Neo, DI-20HE and R7HE (2020 model) which are all 50 ohms. So here are my questions below.

1. Sine or Square wave?
2. queensland 12VDC PSU or other? any recommendation?
3. Any recommend BNC cable to used with? (just to match this queensland unit in term of price and quality)

To be honest, I am more into Afterdark or Mutec Ref10 but those are so expensive. I think it is a good idea to have an initial comparison (int. clock vs morion ext. clock) before making a big investment. So, here is another question if I'm happy with the external clock.

4. If the budget is limited (mid-high end), should I focus on a higher clock model (1 output) or a less expensive one with more clock output? (I own 3 devices that can get ext. clock: SOTM, DI-20HE, R7HE) / 1-output Afterdark EVA vs. "used" Mutec Ref10 vs. Gustard C16 - C18

Thank you guys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back