New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 26, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #8,386 of 11,305
Do you power your afterdark clock with a cheap chinese LPS? If so, you will find a considerable improvement with a Teradak or another audiophile LPS.

I use my SMS as Audinirvana end point, with Ethernet connection after my ER, and sounds very very good. I use Audinirvana remote app to control it and it works pretty fine.
Ok. My afterdafk has a built-in psu.

I would use the sotm as a standalone streamer.

Feb 26, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #8,388 of 11,305
The SMS, as anything in digital, benefits from a clean power (a good LPS) and Ethernet signal. Try to galvanic isolate the Ethernet signal that feds it.
I have an ethernet isolator but again, i will just connect usb sticks with music on them and use it as a standalone player. I have a spare 12v lps for it.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #8,389 of 11,305
Anyone here using the sMS-200ultra w. ext. Clock input with di20he and r7he mkii, all clocked by the same unit?
Not really an answer to your question but I reclock into my DA-3000 and I also run wordclock into it from the same reclocker. If I read into what you're asking/saying, I think it has long been agreed that master clocks are vital for getting the best sound. Still trying to decide whether to upgrade my headstation or not, but if I get another Mutec I'll not only run my Brooklyn over AES/EBU out of the Mutec but I'll also feed the Brooklyn with the Mutec's wordclock like I do with the TASCAM in my big rig. And I am sure it will bring things up to the next level. This is a nice selling point of the Mutec, it has many clock outputs. Unfortunately, the Audio-gd and most hifi rigs don't work with pro audio clock rates so it's expensive (REF10 etc.) or maybe impossible to get a master clock that can drive everything you have.

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #8,390 of 11,305
Not really an answer to your question but I reclock into my DA-3000 and I also run wordclock into it from the same reclocker. If I read into what you're asking/saying, I think it has long been agreed that master clocks are vital for getting the best sound. Still trying to decide whether to upgrade my headstation or not, but if I get another Mutec I'll not only run my Brooklyn over AES/EBU out of the Mutec but I'll also feed the Brooklyn with the Mutec's wordclock like I do with the TASCAM in my big rig. And I am sure it will bring things up to the next level. This is a nice selling point of the Mutec, it has many clock outputs. Unfortunately, the Audio-gd and most hifi rigs don't work with pro audio clock rates so it's expensive (REF10 etc.) or maybe impossible to get a master clock that can drive everything you have.
In my case, 3 outputs are sufficient. Media player, di20he and r7he mkii. I am confident with getting a small upgrade using the sotm sMS-200ultra. Anything to get better sound! :)

Looking for a discount from Sotm. It's unfortunate that i missed a couple of occasions on the used market. They are very few usb streamer out there with a 10M input. I want to keep the di20he in the loop as i would need an insanely expensive streamer to beat it.

Feb 27, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #8,391 of 11,305
In my case, 3 outputs are sufficient. Media player, di20he and r7he mkii. I am confident with getting a small upgrade using the sotm sMS-200ultra. Anything to get better sound! :)

Looking for a discount from Sotm. It's unfortunate that i missed a couple of occasions on the used market. They are very few usb streamer out there with a 10M input. I want to keep the di20he in the loop as i would need an insanely expensive streamer to beat it.
Ask Cruz Audio if they have an ex-demo unir for a cheaper price. I've got the SE edition for the same price as the regular one. I saved 300 bucks and it was in mint condition, as new.

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #8,393 of 11,305
Last night music session has been epic. I can't believe how beautiful my system sounds, I've never heard anything like it.

Finally the work of years tweaking and upgrading it yield an incredible result.

The DI-20 + HE-7 + M1 combo sounds superb.

I can't wait to see what the HE-1 will bring to the table!
The HE-7 mk2 is an outstanding DAC. Hopefully better after being dormant for 5 months. PLL_N f/w will smooth out some residual grain at the expense of stage width and slightly less dynamics. But the upgrade is worth the effort... more consistent sound.

The HE-1 will give you another upgrade. ACSS connections where possible.

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #8,394 of 11,305
The HE-7 mk2 is an outstanding DAC. Hopefully better after being dormant for 5 months. PLL_N f/w will smooth out some residual grain at the expense of stage width and slightly less dynamics. But the upgrade is worth the effort... more consistent sound.

The HE-1 will give you another upgrade. ACSS connections where possible.
Yes, I currently have ACSS connection between the HE-7 and the M1. Magna's M-Way first reference if I'm not wrong.

PLL programmer is coming from China with regular mail, so it will take some weeks. I'm not on a rush as now the HE-7 is sounding great.

Another step I will consider are Nimak ACSS in the future.

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #8,395 of 11,305
@PLGA The Nimak 5 ACSS cable (DAC out to M10 amp) sounds great. It's expensive but still the same price as 1 yr ago when purchased. Made a huge improvement during break-in and after with the R7HE mk2. Like all pure silver wire cables sounded weird for first 2 wks of use. Highly recommended!

There's also the Nimak 3 ACSS cable with fewer conductors. No experience but would be fun to compare.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #8,396 of 11,305
Hi guys,
Last weekend I had an incredible listening session with my DI-20 + HE-7 + M1 combo. I've just never experienced music this way, so so perfect. Just pure realism. Incredible.

The HE-7 continues to improve with burning and I can´t recomend it enough. It's an incredible and natural sounding DAC and I'm coming from a 2019 R7-HE with 2021 HDMI input upgrade, wich was no slouch. The difference is there for sure. Of course, it's fair to mention that the HE-7 is runing with an external master clock (a good budget one), but it's clearly a better DAC as it must be the R7-HE MkII.

A good improvement also is that it can be on for days and it doesn't get too hot (I have it in a sub-optimal ventilated area). It burns just leaving it on as Kingwa told me and that helps a lot speed up the process.

Mar 15, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #8,397 of 11,305
@PLGA Thanks for the reminder.... I have been using internal USB for months to cook some power cables and AC regen. Just returned to using the DI20HE I2S into the HE7 mk2. I got more bass and smoother vocals with the DI20HE in the loop. Not a lot but easily noticed. Yes, the HE7 mk2 is a tremendous DAC. No doubt and no regret in purchasing.

The R7 and HE7 mk2 models consume less power and radiate lower heat versus even the regular R7 and M7S. I like this as well.

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #8,398 of 11,305
Speaking of MKii components, i sure hope the r2r 11 mkii will start selling more. It greatly benefits from the servo-controlled psus applied to digital and runs also cooler. It really is fantastic, my office setup shines in big part because of it. It has a sound signature of which you never get tired, just like the original. But the sound is obviously more refined. It is an amazing piece of gear. And it can drive most planars adequately.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #8,400 of 11,305
Successfully get back the old R8 (2019) with clock interface. Everything is perfect. Su2 and R8 are connected to 10m clock. The only problem is that there is a large current sound when playing dsd128. But tonight is still a dream night. I haven't heard music for a month. I must enjoy myself today.
QQ图片20220316214035.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back