New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 22, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #8,356 of 11,368
My HE-7 sounds terrific and so natural and engaging.

I can't believe some "reviewers" say these DACs are crap because the measure bad in their gear (who the hell knows how do the measure them by the way).

And if, I repeat, if these DACs measure poorly, well... they sound so incredibly real that who cares!!

I've heard amps with almost perfect THD not sounding even close to others with more than 1.000 times that THD.
Some reviewers listen to measurements. I find it more rewarding to listen to music. If I listened to measurements I would no doubt have some sterile sounding DAC recommended by those two communities that we all know bow down to measurements and US manufactured products only.

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #8,357 of 11,368
My HE-7 sounds terrific and so natural and engaging.

I can't believe some "reviewers" say these DACs are crap because the measure bad in their gear (who the hell knows how do the measure them by the way).

Yes, there are countless problems with their methods. But if you step back and look at the big picture, it's just another false religion. You have one guy preaching "truth" to many idiot followers. Nobody actually listens to the gear, they compare charts generated under dubious circumstances. Audio scientology :D

And if, I repeat, if these DACs measure poorly, well... they sound so incredibly real that who cares!!

In theory measurements could be useful but even well-intentioned people (not the ones we're talking about here) don't know how to measure music. Either they chart a sine wave or a sweep and they conclude this or that. But music is complicated, it has more than distortion. They don't measure phase difference, or rise time, attack, etc. What they are measuring are test signals, not music. And the very fact that some of the most musical gear does not measure well according to their flawed methods is proof positive that they don't know how to measure music in any meaningful way. So the best thing is to ignore them and enjoy the music.

What is implied is pure manipulation: don't trust your ears, the measurement equipment knows better. Knowing that loudspeakers have roughly 1% of thd, this is just plain stupid.

Indeed, those guys don't post listening results at all and if you ask, most often they haven't listened to the gear. To them one electronic box judging another electronic box is reality. To take music out of its context is senseless. See my sig, @Jandu nailed it.

Some reviewers listen to measurements. I find it more rewarding to listen to music. If I listened to measurements I would no doubt have some sterile sounding DAC recommended by those two communities that we all know bow down to measurements and US manufactured products only.

US only? I thought the main point was shilling for Topping and whatever the latest Aliexpress deals are.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #8,359 of 11,368
A number of times researching dacs recently, I've had the misfortune to arrive at such a site. It's a joyless, soul crushing amalgam of ego, assertion and no useful comparison other than the brave few who venture an opinion on how it sounds.
Glad you like the thread! :) We always like welcoming new viewpoints!

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #8,360 of 11,368
A number of times researching dacs recently, I've had the misfortune to arrive at such a site. It's a joyless, soul crushing amalgam of ego, assertion and no useful comparison other than the brave few who venture an opinion on how it sounds.
And those people who do venture opinions from actual listening experience with the gear are shouted down, analyzed and judged according to pop-psychology etc. The only way to win is to let the audio scientologists crash and burn by themselves.

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #8,361 of 11,368
Glad you like the thread! :) We always like welcoming new viewpoints!
Yes, this forum is the best I've ever participated regarding the quality of people. We can always post our opinions, with respect and honestly, and we will never get an unpolite or out of please answer. Only help everytime we need it. Thank you guys for keeping it that way!

It's all about getting better sound and sharing our experiences.

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #8,362 of 11,368
Yes, this forum is the best I've ever participated regarding the quality of people. We can always post our opinions, with respect and honestly, and we will never get an unpolite or out of please answer. Only help everytime we need it. Thank you guys for keeping it that way!

Indeed. Just real audiophiles: respectful, passionate and open-minded. The kind i used to see at audio shows in the 2000s. Peaceful fellows. Lots of good memories there.

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #8,363 of 11,368
My M7 turns 10 yrs old this year. Upgraded along the way the DAC still sounds good. The M7, with original electronics, beat out the Iggy ver 1 and MSB Analog DAC to my ears. So you can't judge sound experience by specs alone. The Iggy and MSB DACs were lean and dry compared to the richer sounding M7.

Fred is correct speakers and microphones produce the greatest amount of distortion in the audio chain. .Tube amps always measuring worse than transistor amps is a good example of specs do not tell the whole story. Let your ears be your guide.

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #8,364 of 11,368
I bought a Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL MZ2 from a friend this week, specifically for the preamp section. It arrives tomorrow. I know the MZ3 is rated higher but the MZ2 looks like it is no slouch, and I also bought it for a fair price. I'm hoping it will be a great synergy with the R7HE and Kinki EX-M1+. I will know shortly :L3000: If anyone here has experience with the MZ2 as a preamp I would welcome any thoughts, whether good or bad.

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #8,365 of 11,368

Indeed, I’m always delighted to read those posts and to learn from each other’s experience, a rare and quite unique place for passionated guys like us

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #8,366 of 11,368
I bought a Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL MZ2 from a friend this week, specifically for the preamp section. It arrives tomorrow. I know the MZ3 is rated higher but the MZ2 looks like it is no slouch, and I also bought it for a fair price. I'm hoping it will be a great synergy with the R7HE and Kinki EX-M1+. I will know shortly :L3000: If anyone here has experience with the MZ2 as a preamp I would welcome any thoughts, whether good or bad.
MZ2 arrived. Beautifully holographic on preamp duties. Very pleasant surprise indeed! Happy days for now... I must not wonder what the MZ3 would bring.. "I am happy". "I am content". "This is good enough". "All preamps sound the same".. :darthsmile:

Feb 24, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #8,367 of 11,368
MZ2 arrived. Beautifully holographic on preamp duties. Very pleasant surprise indeed! Happy days for now... I must not wonder what the MZ3 would bring.. "I am happy". "I am content". "This is good enough". "All preamps sound the same".. :darthsmile:
It has been quoted on an Antipodes Audio thread, "Comparison is the thief of joy"...
Congratulations on your preamp!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #8,368 of 11,368
I tried today the HE-7 with USB vs with the DI-20 (non HE version) and I2S.

It suppoused to be at a same level I've been told and I really wanted that so I could eliminate one part of my digital rig (I could sell it) without lossing SQ and would have one spare socket in my Audioquest Niagara 1200, wich is fully connected.

Well, it doesnt sound the same. The difference is small (I'm not sure I would detected without a somehow fast A-B test), but noticeably better with the DI-20 in between. It has stronger bass, more body, better dynamics and improved holographic sound. Summarizing, more engaging. The DI-20 is also a great piece of gear. I'm keeping it for now at least.

Maybe things will be different with the new PLL firmware.... :fingers_crossed:

Feb 25, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #8,370 of 11,368
I believe It's something Kingwa should solve asap because the latest AGD top line DACs should not sound better with the DI-20s in between, at least in my case with an HE DAC and non HE DI-20.

Putting the DI-20s on the chain means more connections in the way of the signal. It shouldn't sound better with new AGD DACs.

I think that could affect Kingwa's DACs perfomance against other high end DACs. The latest HE DACs shouldn't need the DIs.

Last night it was like going from "that's a very very good sound" to "WOW, how is it possible" adding the DI-20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back