New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 25, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #8,371 of 11,368
The MK2 internal USB sounds a touch brighter which works great on the HE-7 but can be too much with the RT-HE and genually prefer the DI20 I2S. I go back and forth with the R7-HE. Try both after upgrade the PLL_N.. Just a matter of taste of what works in your system.

Yes, 2021/ MK2 synchronous USB does sounds different vs. prior generations of Amanero USB.

Feb 25, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #8,372 of 11,368
Yes, I will see latter on with the PLL firmware. I still have to get the Xilinix programmer from China, wich will take weeks.

How do you find the differences with the PLL firmware on your HE-7 and DI-20?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #8,373 of 11,368
I believe It's something Kingwa should solve asap because the latest AGD top line DACs should not sound better with the DI-20s in between, at least in my case with an HE DAC and non HE DI-20.

Putting the DI-20s on the chain means more connections in the way of the signal. It shouldn't sound better with new AGD DACs.

I think that could affect Kingwa's DACs perfomance against other high end DACs. The latest HE DACs shouldn't need the DIs.

Last night it was like going from "that's a very very good sound" to "WOW, how is it possible" adding the DI-20.
It may need some burn-in though, i mean the amanero..

Feb 25, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #8,374 of 11,368
@PLGA The HE-7 mk2 with DI20HE is good. Just a warmer version compared to internal USB. The internal USB is crisper sounding which may accentuate grain on a new DAC with not many hours. Especially the R7HE mk2 which took months to fully smooth out in the highs.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #8,375 of 11,368
Yes, I will try again with several more hs of burning. Maybe the HDMI port burns faster.

Kingwa told me that both inputs burn just leaving on the DAC. As it doesnt run really hot, I can leave it on and speed up the process.

Feb 25, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #8,376 of 11,368
I believe It's something Kingwa should solve asap because the latest AGD top line DACs should not sound better with the DI-20s in between, at least in my case with an HE DAC and non HE DI-20.

Putting the DI-20s on the chain means more connections in the way of the signal. It shouldn't sound better with new AGD DACs.

I think that could affect Kingwa's DACs perfomance against other high end DACs. The latest HE DACs shouldn't need the DIs.

Last night it was like going from "that's a very very good sound" to "WOW, how is it possible" adding the DI-20.
I'm not sure. There are guys who reported stacking reclockers and I think other DDCs and heard improvements.

Feb 25, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #8,377 of 11,368
I'm not sure. There are guys who reported stacking reclockers and I think other DDCs and heard improvements.

Yes, sure. I believe my post speaks good on the DI-20s family mostly.

There has to be a reason for them to exist. They are specifically made for treating the digital signal and make it better to handle it by the DAC, so I guess it's not a complete surprise that they outperform the DACs.

I may say the difference is not huge at all and it could be different after complete burning and with different firmware.

Feb 25, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #8,378 of 11,368
Pertaining to USB-direct and DDCs, here are a few data points that might add perspective...

There are a number of threads on Audiophilestyle of users who report their evolution from high-end server [Innuos, Rockna, etc] feeding a Phoenix USB regen with Chord MScaler/Dave DAC only to replace the front end to a $20K Taiko Extreme feeding their Dave or Wavedream [etc.] DAC directly.
They report that the $20K server greatly improves the USB interface and simplifies their system.
On the Antipodes Audio Server thread here at Head-Fi, users of even the $15K K50 server insist on a Phoenix USB regen in the path.
I personally don't care for all the black boxes, cables and spaghetti but unless I hit the lottery, I'm not planning on buying a $20K Taiko server that reportedly alleviates USB transmission anomalies. I wish I didn't need a DDC timed by a good 10MHz source but having heard the refinement that it provides, I'll be sticking with it.
I found the SingXer DDC w/o the 10M reference to be a marginal improvement but with the 10M reference, indispensable.
To complicate matters further, I bypassed the SingXer's internal LPS with a Hypsos Ferrum hybrid power supply and got another 10% improvement. More ****ing [sorry] boxes and $$$.

On a different note, I can't wait to try out the 10M timing input on the R8HE when the FW update becomes available.
I have always been a very analytical listener and I am finding that the R8HE is getting very close to reproducing a holographic right-brain listening experience that is very musically satisfying.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #8,379 of 11,368
On a different note, I can't wait to try out the 10M timing input on the R8HE when the FW update becomes available.
I have always been a very analytical listener and I am finding that the R8HE is getting very close to reproducing a holographic right-brain listening experience that is very musically satisfying.

Staging/imaging and bass benefit a lot from ext. clocking. Should be a nice addition.

Feb 25, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #8,380 of 11,368
I have experienced stacking two DI20HE to improve SQ. I also found people stacking two Mutec re-clocker for getting better SQ too. By using DDC and Ext. clock wisely, you can save money from buying expensive server/streamer.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #8,381 of 11,368
Pertaining to USB-direct and DDCs, here are a few data points that might add perspective...

There are a number of threads on Audiophilestyle of users who report their evolution from high-end server [Innuos, Rockna, etc] feeding a Phoenix USB regen with Chord MScaler/Dave DAC only to replace the front end to a $20K Taiko Extreme feeding their Dave or Wavedream [etc.] DAC directly.
They report that the $20K server greatly improves the USB interface and simplifies their system.
On the Antipodes Audio Server thread here at Head-Fi, users of even the $15K K50 server insist on a Phoenix USB regen in the path.
I personally don't care for all the black boxes, cables and spaghetti but unless I hit the lottery, I'm not planning on buying a $20K Taiko server that reportedly alleviates USB transmission anomalies. I wish I didn't need a DDC timed by a good 10MHz source but having heard the refinement that it provides, I'll be sticking with it.
I found the SingXer DDC w/o the 10M reference to be a marginal improvement but with the 10M reference, indispensable.
To complicate matters further, I bypassed the SingXer's internal LPS with a Hypsos Ferrum hybrid power supply and got another 10% improvement. More ****ing [sorry] boxes and $$$.

I have contacted Kingwa. It is estimated that the firmware for adding external clock to R8 should be completed next week.

Feb 26, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #8,383 of 11,368
Anyone here using the sMS-200ultra w. ext. Clock input with di20he and r7he mkii, all clocked by the same unit?
Hi Fred
I'm using a similar set up, SMS-200 Ultra Neo SE with DI-20 non HE and HE-7, the two latest clocked with the Morion.

My SMS doesnt have a clock input. I want to add it as soon as possible, but I would need another clock as the third Morion output is on my ER. Maybe in the future, as I also would need to send it to Acrux Audio to be done.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #8,384 of 11,368
Hi Fred
I'm using a similar set up, SMS-200 Ultra Neo SE with DI-20 non HE and HE-7, the two latest clocked with the Morion.

My SMS doesnt have a clock input. I want to add it as soon as possible, but I would need another clock as the third Morion output is on my ER. Maybe in the future, as I also would need to send it to Acrux Audio to be done.
Nice. It would be something to try to clock the streamer instead of the regen. Should likely be more beneficial. I don't use ethernet in my setup. You can alway get a clock splitter it you want to clock all 4. See on the Afterdark website.

Thinking of getting the sotm and use the 75 ohm out on my Afterdark to clock it. Use my ebay 12v psu to power it at first.

How good is the remote app? You think it's worth the investment?

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #8,385 of 11,368
Nice. It would be something to try to clock the streamer instead of the regen. Should likely be more beneficial. I don't use ethernet in my setup. You can alway get a clock splitter it you want to clock all 4. See on the Afterdark website.

Thinking of getting the sotm and use the 75 ohm out on my Afterdark to clock it. Use my ebay 12v psu to power it at first.

How good is the remote app? You think it's worth the investment?
Do you power your afterdark clock with a cheap chinese LPS? If so, you will find a considerable improvement with a Teradak or another audiophile LPS.

I use my SMS as Audinirvana end point, with Ethernet connection after my ER, and sounds very very good. I use Audinirvana remote app to control it and it works pretty fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back