New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Dec 6, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #6,166 of 11,260
Kingwa has released the 2021 versions of the R2R DACs -

New Features
R-7 (2021 version) feature:

1, USB and HDMI apply the separate isolators and isolate pure class A PSUs for avoid the interrupt from computer and HDMI sources. (New Feature)
2, USB apply the bidirectional isolator that can transmit the IIS signal to the FPGA processor and receive the clock signal from the FPGA processor, the USB interface without on board data clocks, the signal transmit is much exact, the sound quality get the much improve , similar to the last generative R-7 combine with DI-20 (But not DI-20HE) level. (New Feature)
3, HDMI input apply isolator for improve the sound quality . (New Feature)
4, Input signal sampling display .(New Feature)

Check out the landing page on the Audio GD website - http://www.audio-gd.com/En audio-gd.htm
I just bought my R7HE. I'll be interested to see how the 2021 upgrades improve on an already stellar DAC.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #6,167 of 11,260
Kingwa has released the 2021 versions of the R2R DACs -

New Features
R-7 (2021 version) feature:

1, USB and HDMI apply the separate isolators and isolate pure class A PSUs for avoid the interrupt from computer and HDMI sources. (New Feature)
2, USB apply the bidirectional isolator that can transmit the IIS signal to the FPGA processor and receive the clock signal from the FPGA processor, the USB interface without on board data clocks, the signal transmit is much exact, the sound quality get the much improve , similar to the last generative R-7 combine with DI-20 (But not DI-20HE) level. (New Feature)
3, HDMI input apply isolator for improve the sound quality . (New Feature)
4, Input signal sampling display .(New Feature)

Check out the landing page on the Audio GD website - http://www.audio-gd.com/En audio-gd.htm
Whooow and other DACs are upgradeable too!

It was first implemented in DI-20, see discussion on this thread.

Dec 6, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #6,168 of 11,260
I just bought my R7HE. I'll be interested to see how the 2021 upgrades improve on an already stellar DAC.
Anybody who can get Kingwa to listen, please ask him for a human-understandable UI. I mean the gear seems amazing but the front panel and UI navigation is a total nightmare!

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #6,169 of 11,260
Last time I spoke to Kingwa he said it would not be possible to upgrade the current and previous R7HE models to the new 2021 edition because of modifications to all analog and digital boards and chassis layout. However this was 6 months ago and maybe he figured out an upgrade path.
For anyone with a r7he and di20he like us, the only upgrade to get absolutely is the isolated i2s board. This is normally an easy swap if the wires are on a socket.

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #6,170 of 11,260
This is very interesting. Have a few questions about upgrading a pre-2020 R7 (2017/18). What is involved to get 10M capability on this DAC? Is it just reprogramming the FPGA? If this simple then why hasn’t someone done this already. May not be possible to upgrade my old R7 for 10M.

Isolated USB and HDMI I2S need a 2nd power source. In the R7/R7HE ‘21 photos you will notice a new power board mounted beside the Amanero board on the left inner wall.

Synchronous USB is nice (actually really nice on paper) but already have the DI-20HE. Does synchronous USB beat HDMI I2S from the DI-20HE? If not don’t need to upgrade the Amanero to synchronous version.

And sampling rate display feature on the front panel appears more complicated than just reprogramming the FPGA. I see extra cables plugged into unused connectors on the R7HE ‘21 digital board. Are any mods required on the faceplate electronics? And I don’t really need this feature if it adds complexity and big cost to the upgrade.

10M capability would make me move but the new R7HE ‘21 pricing will be close to $4000US by the time shipping and fees are added to the order. Please let us know how R7HE ‘21 performs and sounds!

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #6,171 of 11,260
Synchronous USB is nice (actually really nice on paper) but already have the DI-20HE. Does synchronous USB beat HDMI I2S from the DI-20HE? If not don’t need to upgrade the Amanero to synchronous version.
Not. With DI-20HE on HDMI link your R7HE is still better according to this:
2, USB apply the bidirectional isolator that can transmit the IIS signal to the FPGA processor and receive the clock signal from the FPGA processor, the USB interface without on board data clocks, the signal transmit is much exact, the sound quality get the much improve , better than the last generative R-7HE combine with DI-20 (But not DI-20HE) level. (New Feature)

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #6,175 of 11,260
Anybody who can get Kingwa to listen, please ask him for a human-understandable UI. I mean the gear seems amazing but the front panel and UI navigation is a total nightmare!
Could be better but for me, it's good enough. Compared to three years ago when the dacs were configured with under-the-hood jumpers... Had to take off the heavy cover each time. Like people who made the last world war, i can't complain today. :)

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #6,176 of 11,260
I have one request for new DACs firmware or upgraded to 2021. Two indicators:

1. USB working in asynchronous mode.
2. USB frame error detected. It should light up and stay on for few seconds if a single frame is dropped due to the CRC mismatch.

No other brand care about, prefering rather to mask transmission errors. With a new feature of a direct clock synchronisation, user should be aware whether the best transmission mode is being used. DI-20 thread (where this feature was implemented first) indicate that there is confusion about. The system should be configured properly to be able to negotiate the best available option, in many cases it is not.

The same with frame error indicator. It would help to deal with ground loops, poor or a damaged cable. I don't think it need further explanation.

I know, these functions are integral part of the Amanero module, maybe Kingwa has acces to such information or can make such request.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #6,177 of 11,260
I saw this note on the Audio GD site this morning... Instructions to upgrade R8 and R8HE to 2021 version will be available soon. Others as well but not R7 or R7HEs.

Older R-1, R-8, R-8HE, R-27, and R-28 models upgrade to 2021 Edition guide will public soon . ..

Dec 8, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #6,179 of 11,260
"USB apply the bidirectional isolator that can transmit the IIS signal to the FPGA processor and receive the clock signal from the FPGA processor, the USB interface without on board data clocks, the signal transmit is much exact, the sound quality get the much improve , similar to the last generative R-x combine with DI-20 (But not DI-20HE) level. (New Feature)"

So, what does this really mean in layman's terms? If we already have our R-x DAC paired with the DI-20, can we expect an upgrade?

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #6,180 of 11,260
@Pappas3278 Just describing the USB I2S process is synchronous with the FPGA clocks. The internal USB board no longer has its own XOs driving I2S outputs. The I2S clocks are now supplied by the 2021 DAC FPGA. The sonic benefit is no PLL or data recovery needed as with async I2S. USB data path is now much less complicated. That is the theory - simpler path.

Also the USB and HDMI I2S adapters each employ galvanic isolators on their I2S outputs. The isolation method is bi-dir allowing I2S output to the FPGA and the new I2S clock input from the FPGA (usb only).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back