New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Dec 9, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #6,196 of 11,284
Yeah. But the DI-20HE with the new HDMI 2021 boards in the dac will for sure win over everything else; so may be more complex- but still is going to have better results.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #6,197 of 11,284
One thing doesn't make sense to me:

If the DI has the 2021 usb module then why does the R-7HE 2021 sound better with direct usb conection than using the DI-20?

The only answer I can think of is that the DI-20 non HE model pollutes the sound more than the advantage that I2s via the DI-20 provides and results in a net loss.
This is correct, but here in details. Over the I2S interface DI-20 provides clock to the R-7HE. It is a master clock for DA conversion, so quality of the sound depends on the clock quality of DI-20. It is not better than the internal clock of R-7HE, as HE means regenerative power supply, DI-20 do not have. It means in general that if you want to improve sound of R-7HE over I2S, your source must provide more clean clock than R-7HE creates internally.

Dec 9, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #6,198 of 11,284
Interesting.

Before my DI-20HE I have a iso regen with a very good power supply, but probably not as good as the one in the DI. Also- the clock in the iso regen does not compare to the OXCO external clock attached to my DI, yet the iso regen improves the sound of my system. Perhaps because it is so much better thn my mac mini.....

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #6,200 of 11,284
One thing doesn't make sense to me:

If the DI has the 2021 usb module then why does the R-7HE 2021 sound better with direct usb conection than using the DI-20?

The only answer I can think of is that the DI-20 non HE model pollutes the sound more than the advantage that I2s via the DI-20 provides and results in a net loss.
Same here. A greater factor is the fact that the di20he is better isolated electrically and cannot contaminate the dac, especially now with the new i2s isolator. Without it, the new internal usb would possibly win.

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #6,202 of 11,284
Huh? I would think adding isolated HDMI I2S to the R7 2020 would be easy. Those DACs already have the add-on power supply for USB isolation. Hardest part is soldering wires. Is something incompatible? If internal USB is not used can it be disconnected to make HDMI isolation work? Good questions for Kingwa.

I can fully understand upgrading the old R7 to 2020 spec is a nightmare. Adding synchronous USB to any prior R7 would be difficult. And then sampling rate front panel display - wiring, connectors added, and rework to the front panel. It is a scary amount of work and little to no documentation. But an HDMI swap in the R7 2020 seems trivial.

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #6,204 of 11,284
Good questions for Kingwa.
I asked this question... I hope he answers it.

I raised the question about the rejection of USB in favor of isolated HDMI.

Kingwa: If you want only upgrade the HDMI with isolator, that is easy, you even don't want update the firmware, just replace the HDMI module to the new one.
Connect the HDMI module to the Amanero power, it is isolative power, the isolator of the HDMI input is use the on board power.
🥳

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #6,205 of 11,284
I have ordered the R8HE 2021...

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #6,206 of 11,284
Kingwa is now offering the HE 7 2021. 8 x PCM1704UK DAC with all the 2021 features. Get for 7.5% off during the end of year sale

Once a year, HE 7 (2021 Edition) accept custom order
The top ranking 8 pcs PCM1704UK and regenerate power supply built in.

Leadtime: Ship the product at 20days after paid.
Price: USD3680 (Order now get 7.5% OFF exclude shipping cost)

http://www.audio-gd.com/En audio-gd.htm

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #6,207 of 11,284
Are the upgrade instructions on the audio-gd website with all those pictures what need to be done for the HDMI and USB 2021 upgrade?

I only want to do the HDMI upgrade and I ordered the 2021 board. In the pictures it looks like the HDMI is connected to the usb board.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #6,209 of 11,284
Are the upgrade instructions on the audio-gd website with all those pictures what need to be done for the HDMI and USB 2021 upgrade?

I only want to do the HDMI upgrade and I ordered the 2021 board. In the pictures it looks like the HDMI is connected to the usb board.

The online instructions with pictures only show modification of the USB board for the R1 and R28. You will have to ask Kingwa for instructions for adding isolated HDMI I2S to the R7 2020. But does not seem too bad. Take HDMI I2S power from the Amanero board which is powered from add-on power supply. The new isolation circuit takes power from I2S connector on the digital board. So I think simply unsolder the old HDMI I2S board and solder the new one in its place. Then connect power from the Amanero board.

When you find out let us know!!

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #6,210 of 11,284
Just seems 2021 internal USB is the cleaner/ less complicated path by a significant margin.

Yes, I agree on this. The sound with the new Amanero implementation is crisp clear, almost "naked and freezing".

Yeah. But the DI-20HE with the new HDMI 2021 boards in the dac will for sure win over everything else; so may be more complex- but still is going to have better results.
..With the DI20HE (3.933) the sound gets more flesh, a little higher temperature and more life...

Still, for many users with less revealing rigs the Amanero sound will be perfect as it is. My rig is based on electrostatic speakers which are neutral and doesn't add or exclude anything. They are "uncolored". So my preference above is based on that. We have to have in mind that this is also very software defined with a great impact of the FPGA programming.. and Kingwa will come up with more refinements and tuning.

It is crazy good already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back