New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Dec 17, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #6,226 of 11,305
I just bought an R2R7 from 2018 modified to become an R7 (Pannel, USB power supply, Accustillon) since yesterday, so I have little experience
I use it in USB with a PC equipped with the USB Matrix H card ans a Neotech Usb Cable
I don't know the Firmware used but it is the one from the end of 2019

I don't understand what dithering is for
Do you use it? I don't hear a difference

What setting do you use?

At the moment I am comparing
OS x 8
0 8 0 0 6
and
Our
N 3 0 0 6

In both cases I find the sound very soft!

As I only listen to PCM FLAC
is there a way in Jriver to switch from PCM to DSD to see if there is any improvement
Dithering has no effect IMO. I don't think it is supported anymore.

This dac needs 24h of warm-up to sound as it should. The newer iterations do no need much time. It's something to know. Ideally, never turn it off.

IF you can't hear any difference between nos an os8, maybe the settings cable is disconnected.

The usb input is not the best one. You can have better sound using i2s or even spdif.

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #6,227 of 11,305
I just bought an R2R7 from 2018 modified to become an R7 (Pannel, USB power supply, Accustillon) since yesterday, so I have little experience
I use it in USB with a PC equipped with the USB Matrix H card ans a Neotech Usb Cable
I don't know the Firmware used but it is the one from the end of 2019

I don't understand what dithering is for
Do you use it? I don't hear a difference

What setting do you use?

At the moment I am comparing
OS x 8
0 8 0 0 6
and
Our
N 3 0 0 6

In both cases I find the sound very soft!

As I only listen to PCM FLAC
is there a way in Jriver to switch from PCM to DSD to see if there is any improvement

I have the R8 and I've tried some different firmwares (I don't know which one you have), but to my ears and in my system, in all cases I prefered NOS 3 on the settings. More alive and real.

I've also found to polite, somehow boring, OS settings.

Dec 17, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #6,228 of 11,305
Thank you for your answers ! I don't see anything disconnected inside

I hear a difference between the NOS 3 and OS8..with nos 3 for me too much bass frequencies on complex music but very natural

Is there a Firmware where the treble is a little less smooth in OS8
I have a permanent whistling on HDMI IN4 and my optical input is IN 3
I have "plock" too when i changed entry input

So I have a choice in this table, the seller thinks I have the parallel version ((octobre 2019))
there is a difference between the DSDCLK , the Asy3_IIS3 and Parallel DOP ?

As there is a firmware update from November 2020 and I have a Usb Blaster I will do it, it may eliminate the noise

is it possible to know the specifications of Version R-7_Parallel_DOP1.1_IIS3
(Nov.2020)
The versions Nos 1, 2 and 3 are diffèrent ?

I have trouble understanding where and which version of Quartus II to choose

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #6,229 of 11,305
Thank you for your answers ! I don't see anything disconnected inside

I hear a difference between the NOS 3 and OS8..with nos 3 for me too much bass frequencies on complex music but very natural

Is there a Firmware where the treble is a little less smooth in OS8
I have a permanent whistling on HDMI IN4 and my optical input is IN 3
I have "plock" too when i changed entry input

So I have a choice in this table, the seller thinks I have the parallel version ((octobre 2019))
there is a difference between the DSDCLK , the Asy3_IIS3 and Parallel DOP ?

As there is a firmware update from November 2020 and I have a Usb Blaster I will do it, it may eliminate the noise

is it possible to know the specifications of Version R-7_Parallel_DOP1.1_IIS3
(Nov.2020)
The versions Nos 1, 2 and 3 are different ?

I have trouble understanding where and which version of Quartus II to choose

Two things before you do anything.

First, the latest firmware needs internal changes on the DACs. Take a look on Audio-gd website.

I also find I2S/HDMI a little harsh. If your source has it and you have the cable, try AES/EBU before changing the firmware.

Also check that the PLL and Syn options un the front panel are in the Zero position.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #6,230 of 11,305
Hello

Thank you for your reply !

In fact, My front panel is the same as the R7HE, I have 5 choices:
OS - MODE - DITH - PLL - DIS

And then I can go to a second screen with 2 choices but they are base at 0 and I do not touch them..one is to turn off the display I think

PLL is for TDA simulation I never activate it

I don't have a SYN, it's the choice of the clock I think..but i have no choice

i can't try AES/EBU , my source is a PC with matrix Element H USB card

Thanks

Sébastien

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #6,231 of 11,305
Hello

And then I can go to a second screen with 2 choices but they are base at 0 and I do not touch them..one is to turn off the display I think

Thanks

Sébastien

Well, for me AES/EBU sounds much smoother and real.

I don't know about PC as a source. I had one (standard, non hi-fi adapted) and it sounded much worse than my SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo dedicated streamer. From the SMS-200 I go with USB to my Audio-GD DI-20 and then AES/EBU to my R8 DAC.

I believe the source is critical, maybe more than the DAC itself.

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #6,232 of 11,305
Hello

Thanks

Sébastien
The amanero on this dac has a soft sound, and is not as good as some budget ddc, like the Gusard u16. The u16 is a good budget ddc to try, especially with the i2s input. If you can get one used, it will not cost you much. Otherwise, get a card with spdif ou i2s output for you pc. Or a di20/he.

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #6,233 of 11,305
Singer SU-6 or AGD DI-20 if budget doesn't stretch to HE version. Stay away from the U16, too glitchy with windows to be worth the pain.

Dec 19, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #6,234 of 11,305
Thank you all for your advice. I love listening to my R2R7 (upgrade r7) it's really musical . I actually prefer OS8. For whistle on In4 and In5, a parameter had to be changed on the 2nd screen and it s ok.
it s good to know that I can add an I2S interface so that the sound is a little less smooth and more dynamic.
isn't kingwa also working on a new amanero card for 2021?
Since I already have a Matrix element H card in my pc, do you think that the Xspdif2 interface is also a good choice because it is less expensive than the DI20

Dec 19, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #6,235 of 11,305
Thank you all for your advice. I love listening to my R2R7 (upgrade r7) it's really musical . I actually prefer OS8. For whistle on In4 and In5, a parameter had to be changed on the 2nd screen and it s ok.
it s good to know that I can add an I2S interface so that the sound is a little less smooth and more dynamic.
isn't kingwa also working on a new amanero card for 2021?
Since I already have a Matrix element H card in my pc, do you think that the Xspdif2 interface is also a good choice because it is less expensive than the DI20
There is indeed a new amanero version but it cannot easily be installed in the r7/r7he. Maybe Magna Hifi can do it at a raisonable price. Indeed, the u16 can have stability issues. My friend uses one with a usbridge sig without issues. The new internal amanero is as good as the di20 according to Kingwa.

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #6,237 of 11,305
Please post a photo of your USB upgrade module when you receive it, both sides. This one on the Magnahifi website still have clock chips and I can't see isolators.

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #6,240 of 11,305
You don’t have the latest, almost sure of this,

I don't have, of course, the last Amanero card from 2021. All my upgrades were done in 2019.

I don't know if the new USB Board will make a big difference!
I await the opinion of Magna HIFI

I am 90% satisfied, I might like to gain a little on the dynamics and a little on the analyptic side
Sorry for my english

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back