New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Dec 19, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #6,241 of 11,297
I don't have, of course, the last Amanero card from 2021. All my upgrades were done in 2019.

I don't know if the new USB Board will make a big difference!
I await the opinion of Magna HIFI

I am 90% satisfied, I might like to gain a little on the dynamics and a little on the analyptic side
Sorry for my english
I'd say "parlez francais, mon ami, je suis quebecois". The new usb module will give something like you describe.

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #6,243 of 11,297
Ce sera mieux qu'avec une interface I2S comme le Gustard U16 ?
The new (2021) integration of the Amanero is a very precise one. I also use the U16's and they are nice but not even in the same division as the Amanero is now. The U16 still is a bargin for its price, I think. The Amanero is now an overall software USB-interface at this state and it shines in its new integration. Kingwa is pushing on to higher grounds...
/J

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #6,245 of 11,297
Jos de Magna Hifi m'a répondu sur les modifications apportées à mon R2R7 en 2019

Nous pouvons mettre à niveau ce DAC vers le modèle 2021.
Il y a quelques améliorations intéressantes, spécialement avec le nouvel Amanero qui dérive des horloges des principaux Accusilicon.
Ainsi que des entrées USB et HDMI isolées.

Tu auras:
- Entrée d'horloge maître 10 Mhz (BNC)
- Dernier firmware 2021
- Entrée HDMI isolée
- Amanero USB synchrone et isolé
- Indication d'affichage de la fréquence d'échantillonnage
"

Donc comme je ne comprends pas tout dans ces modifications si je n'utilise que l'entrée USB c'est utile d'avoir l'option 10 Mhz Master clock input (BNC)

Je pense qu'il a oublié de dire que dans les mises à niveau de 2019, l'entrée USB a déjà été mise à niveau en l'isolant et en s'autoalimentant

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #6,246 of 11,297
The 10m input is if you plan on buying an external 10m clock. The USB still needs an update in your case. The HDMI input is a plus if you plan on getting a superior interface like the di20he and connect it through HDMI. You also get the sampling rate display on the front panel as part as the upgrade.

Dec 19, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #6,247 of 11,297
Thank you for this clarification. in fact in my case, there is just the upgrade of the usb card which could be interesting!

But I do not understand that bringing this upgrade on the USB input?
and I don't quite understand the "USB still needs an update in your case."

Dec 19, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #6,248 of 11,297
Thank you for this clarification. in fact in my case, there is just the upgrade of the usb card which could be interesting!

But I do not understand that bringing this upgrade on the USB input?
and I don't quite understand the "USB still needs an update in your case."
The new USB has galavanic isolation on the i2s line, plus new lines for feeding clock signals from the fpga to the amanero. So with the upgrade, it becomes synchonous with the fpga which allows lowering jitter significantly. Hence the upgrade. With this change, audio- gd gets a top notch USB input.

Dec 19, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #6,250 of 11,297
I wonder what is involved for just upgrading an old R7 with the isolated HDMI I2S module.. Mounting the new power supply to the side wall doesn’t seem that difficult. Drill a few holes, mount, and connect power input somewhere on the digital board. Parts cost (not installed) is probably low enough - $100 to $150usd.

10M and synchronous USB would be difficult. I never use internal USB anyway. Just got me thinking of a way to upgrade performance on my old DACs and keep them relevant for a few more years.

I would also like to first read reviews. Is isolated HDMI I2S worthwhile of the effort?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #6,251 of 11,297
10M and synchronous USB would be difficult. I never use internal USB anyway. Just got me thinking of a way to upgrade performance on my old DACs and keep them relevant for a few more years.

I would also like to first read reviews. Is isolated HDMI I2S worthwhile of the effort?
The internal clock or 10MHz external clock will now work directly with USB as well. Previously it was synchronised using PLL no matter what USB transfer mode was negotiated. BTW, It is not a synchronous USB. The best is asynchronous transfer. When a source (your player) use event driven mode, this new feature will give the best SQ. When we talk about synchronous, it means that Amanero module clock runs synchronous with the FPGA clock (not USB).

Cost of the upgrade is less than 10% value, I would upgrade all features to keep resell value. I think new firmware releases will be available only for upgraded products.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #6,253 of 11,297
Yes, of course, the amanero is synch with the fpga, the computer is still async, if properltly configured, with the amanero. Technically, this is the best configuration there can be with a usb connection. You can achieve the lowest possible jitter. It's a great new feature Kingwa has introduced!

Dec 19, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #6,255 of 11,297
Sorry bs, of course, the amanero is synch with the fpga, the computer is still async, if properltly configured, with the amanero. Technically, this is the best configuration there can be with a usb connection. You can achieve the lowest possible jitter. It's a great new feature Kingwa has introduced!

Sorry but you write "the computer is always asynchronous, if it is correctly configured"
How to know if the computer is correctly configured in asynchronous mode

On the front panel of my R2R7 (upgrade in 2019) I cannot select the clock synchronized internally or externally .... I select my amanero driver on my pc and on my Dac I select os8 for example and I deactivate it didthering and the PLL (tda)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back