New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Dec 19, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #6,256 of 11,297
Sorry but you write "the computer is always asynchronous, if it is correctly configured"
How to know if the computer is correctly configured in asynchronous mode

On the front panel of my R2R7 (upgrade in 2019) I cannot select the clock synchronized internally or externally .... I select my amanero driver on my pc and on my Dac I select os8 for example and I deactivate it didthering and the PLL (tda)
Correct. You can't select USB transfer mode on the control panel. A reason is that USB host (PC) is negotiating transfer mode, USB sink device (Amanero) must accept conditions, there is no other way. It is why user is responsible to configure PC accordingly.

On Foobar 2000 it is easy, just install WASAPI plugin (the latest version has WASAPI built-in) and select the output device "WASAPI event".

On other players is all different, by example in Roon find WASAPI output in the General section and you must also tick an option "use WASAPI event driven mode" in the Advanced section.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #6,257 of 11,297
These setups should work the best after upgrade:

1. Digital source (DI-20HE) --> HDMI --> R7/R8
2. Other brand digital source --> AES, S/PDIF --> R7/R8 (both synchronised with external clock)
3. PC or other USB source --> USB --> R7/R8, (USB source configured for asynchronous transfer with use of explicit endpoint - event driven, i.e. WASAPI event mode)

#1 is expected to work the best, but #2 and #3 should not fall far behind. USB is the cheapest one. I am interested in your feedback.

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #6,258 of 11,297
This is where I do not understand I do not see how to configure a PC to be in asynchronous USB transfer (I am using jRiver) I read this: So when a DAC uses native USB audio drivers, the transfer mode will be isochronous. Adaptive USB DAC will perform isochronous transfer with adaptive sync An asynchronous USB DAC will perform an isochronous transfer with asynchronous synchronization As this is all programmed into the DAC's USB receiver, you have no user options to control this in a computer.

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #6,259 of 11,297

2. Other brand digital source --> AES, S/PDIF --> R7/R8 (both synchronised with external clock)
3. PC or other USB source --> USB --> R7/R8, (USB source configured for asynchronous transfer with use of explicit endpoint - event driven, i.e. WASAPI event mode)

#1 is expected to work the best, but #2 and #3 should not fall far behind. USB is the cheapest one. I am interested in your feedback.

The USB interface is synchronous or asynchronous you can’t change this. The USB interfaces job is to convert the usb data into a format the dac understands. In this case i2s. The i2s signal is using 2 clocks for both frequency samples 44.1 / 48 and up.
Normally the interface has its own clocks, the new design (DI20 like) of Audio-GD is using the clocks from the Altera FPGA clocked by the accusilicon clocks. Hence, the i2s signal is synchronous, because there is only one clock active. This is where synchronous comes from.
Nice design by the way. 👌

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #6,260 of 11,297
The USB interface is synchronous or asynchronous you can’t change this. The USB interfaces job is to convert the usb data into a format the dac understands.
Actually you do. In Foobar you can chose between WASAPI push and event output. Only "WASAPI event" use explixit device endpoint which enables to transfer frames on demand. In all other cases PC driver predicts a time when to send new frame and a sink device (Amanero) must adjust to that clock, there is no feedback from the Amanero. When frame arrives out of sync (buffer underrun or overflow), Amanero has no choice, but to drop a frame. With WASAPI push you get occasionally artefacts when things goes out of sync. It doesn't happen with WASAPI event. Can you explain this?

In other players you must dig and find out proper settings. Here is an example for Roon: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-di-20.918123/page-175#post-16048978

None of these settings are enabled by default!

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #6,261 of 11,297

The r8 has no 10m input by the way. It's the main reason to upgrade to the r7. And depending the quality of the external converter, the internal usb will beat some. Like the u16.

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #6,263 of 11,297
This is where I do not understand I do not see how to configure a PC to be in asynchronous USB transfer (I am using jRiver) I read this: So when a DAC uses native USB audio drivers, the transfer mode will be isochronous. Adaptive USB DAC will perform isochronous transfer with adaptive sync An asynchronous USB DAC will perform an isochronous transfer with asynchronous synchronization As this is all programmed into the DAC's USB receiver, you have no user options to control this in a computer.
You do understand well, everything is correct up to the point. And this is how it works:

1. Device reports to the host its capabilities.
2. Not only a single mode is allowed, there are many variations.
3. Host decide which transfer mode to use.
4. Application inteface allows to instruct the driver to activate desired mode. It is your player.

To help you with jRiver, I looked at the Wiki page. The new version (since 18.0.183) done it right, it can use WASAPI event and is probably activated by default, so use the latest version of the player. Verify that you have settings like on this page: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WASAPI

Do not enable the second option!

Dec 20, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #6,264 of 11,297
It will be very difficult to upgrade the older DACs to isolated HDMI I2S... and even more expensive than initially realized. Kingwas says you have to replace the middle mains transformer for extra current capability required by the add-on power supply and loads. Then install new diodes on the transformer board..

These upgrades are too much trouble for my older DACs. And more expense than willing to gamble. No more dreaming and back to reality. Will be saving up money for a new DAC.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #6,265 of 11,297
According to Magna Hifi, this is not a problem for the R2R7 from 2018 already upgraded to the 2019 version (
New R2R DACv2 Boards, Accusilicon Clocks, Front panel upgrade (menu mode)

The upgrade for 2021, cost 264€ for:
10 Mhz Master clock input (BNC), latest firmware 2021, isolated HDMI input, Synchronous and isolated Amanero USB, Sample rate display indication)

after that the upgrade will be a big big forward ... I hope but it is already very good

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #6,266 of 11,297
That is not a bad price for 2019->2021 upgrade including labor. Magna has experience to do it.

If sending in your DAC to get reworked I would also recommend Magna's electrolytic upgrade for the digital board. The Panasonic OSCONs used (we suspect) are great caps.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #6,267 of 11,297
Hi guys
I'm thinking about buying the 2021 R8-HE DAC to replace my R8 + DI-20 combo as it should sound better, but I'm not 100% sure.

I already have a dedicated AC line + a Holton DC Blocker + an Audioquest Niagara 1200 for the power of my system.

Have anyone of tried an R8/R7 DAC vs the HE versions on a line with already good power conditioning in it? Was the upgrade "really" worthwile?

I have the money, but the economy in my country is bad and the currency exchange rate is awful. I really need to be sure I will get a good improvement in sound quality, not a marginal one, and selling the R8 and DI-20 here at a fair price won't be easy.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #6,268 of 11,297
According to Magna Hifi, this is not a problem for the R2R7 from 2018 already upgraded to the 2019 version (
New R2R DACv2 Boards, Accusilicon Clocks, Front panel upgrade (menu mode)

The upgrade for 2021, cost 264€ for:
10 Mhz Master clock input (BNC), latest firmware 2021, isolated HDMI input, Synchronous and isolated Amanero USB, Sample rate display indication)

after that the upgrade will be a big big forward ... I hope but it is already very good
I would say, go for it. There is also the shipping to pay of course, but seems worth it.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #6,269 of 11,297
Hi guys
I'm thinking about buying the 2021 R8-HE DAC to replace my R8 + DI-20 combo as it should sound better, but I'm not 100% sure.

I already have a dedicated AC line + a Holton DC Blocker + an Audioquest Niagara 1200 for the power of my system.

Have anyone of tried an R8/R7 DAC vs the HE versions on a line with already good power conditioning in it? Was the upgrade "really" worthwile?

I have the money, but the economy in my country is bad and the currency exchange rate is awful. I really need to be sure I will get a good improvement in sound quality, not a marginal one, and selling the R8 and DI-20 here at a fair price won't be easy.
I would say yes based on my own experience with the r7 vs r7he. It's significant. And normally, you can sell your di20. You should not need it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back