New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Sep 25, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #1,636 of 2,819
Another interesting observation i made was that in high gain, no matter which HP or volume level i was using, the hum/static was always there. Also, its really exaggeration to call it a hum. It sounds more like what you hear when you turn the volume of a speaker /headphone to really high while not playing any music. I ll check the ground loop issues one more time when i go home.

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #1,638 of 2,819
Another interesting observation i made was that in high gain, no matter which HP or volume level i was using, the hum/static was always there. Also, its really exaggeration to call it a hum. It sounds more like what you hear when you turn the volume of a speaker /headphone to really high while not playing any music. I ll check the ground loop issues one more time when i go home.

This sounds like its just the noise floor of your amp/headphone combo. 10x gain is a looot of gain. If you are using anything other than highly insensitive cans like HEK, HEDDphone, Abyss, you will hear noise floor "hiss." Similar to tweeter hiss from a speaker being plugged into an amp with higher gain.

EDIT: the low gain on this amp is 3x. If you are driving it balanced from a balanced source, you are getting nearly 2x on top of what you would get single ended. You should not be using high gain with ZMF, Senns, Focals, etc. Its overkill, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #1,639 of 2,819
I am indeed using balanced xlr from my topping D90. Thanks for the info good sir. I ll investigate by plugging in my single ended output and see if the humming still persists

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #1,640 of 2,819
I have only used my ZMF 300 ohm verite and auteurs. Shouldnt they need to be run @ high gain mode? I just never had this issue with any other amps before. I ran my zmfs and focals trough all three gain modes in my THX 887 and never had any static or hums.

Plz dont get more wrong. the amp sounded perfect with all my headphones in low gain mode, but since i paid such a high premium for this device, i would like to make sure, that its working properly, otherwise i would apply for an exchange.

I'd contact Justin honestly. As I said, using 150ohm 660S's on my amp at maxed volume in high gain it is dead silent. I'm using D90 BAL to the amp and BAL to the 660S for testing. I think the Sundara picks up a bit of noise way up in the volume in high gain though, from memory. Everything is packed for now since I'm moving soon and can't test further. Best of luck. If the hum can be heard at any reasonable listening volume (meaning if you were to actually play something it'd blow your headphones or ears up) I wouldn't worry too badly. Still, just contact the manufacturer to be sure.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #1,641 of 2,819
I have indeed contacted justin. Waiting for his response.

Sep 25, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #1,642 of 2,819
I have indeed contacted justin. Waiting for his response.
All my ZMFs sound great on low gain, balanced connection. High gain gets deafeningly loud really fast. Are you sure you're not confusing high impedance and high gain? High gain is for low sensitivity headphones, regardless of their impedance.

Sep 25, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #1,643 of 2,819
All my ZMFs sound great on low gain, balanced connection. High gain gets deafeningly loud really fast. Are you sure you're not confusing high impedance and high gain? High gain is for low sensitivity headphones, regardless of their impedance.
Mini have massive toroidal power supply. It doesnt matter if its 300ohms if headphones sensitivity is high.
If low gain provide more than enough power why You need high gain? All your headphones are efficient.
Sorry wrong guy.

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #1,645 of 2,819
After running about 15 hours the last two day, the amp is finally setting in, The hum in high gain is all but gone. It has reduced drastically. Hopefully with more bun in, it disappears completely.

Loving this amp the more i listen with it. My LCD-x has become more alive with this amp. Not that my THX lacked power, the gsx-mini sounds more open and crisp. The sound signature is more enjoyable with ZMF cans. Glad i picked this amp over similarly priced competition.

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #1,646 of 2,819
Yes it's a terrific amp, and competes with amps that are double or triple its price.

BTW, with the HD800S mine is dead quiet in either high or low gain and volume at max, with no signal playing. It was that way right out of the box.

Sep 28, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,647 of 2,819
Anyone have any comparisons between this amp and the Asgard 3? I know the price difference between them is astronomical, but I'm just curious.

Sep 28, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #1,648 of 2,819
Does anybody have a side-by-side photo of the Polished Red vs. the Satin Red?

EDIT: Super prompt response from Justin at Headamp and my question was answered, so all good here!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #1,649 of 2,819
Anyone have any comparisons between this amp and the Asgard 3? I know the price difference between them is astronomical, but I'm just curious.

No Asgard 3. But, I have compared the GS-X mini and the Jotenhiem. The Jotenhiem is good value, but the sound is compressed relative to the GS-X mini. I definitely enjoyed listening to my 90's grunge on the Jot with my T5ps (maybe more so than with the GS-X mini) but no comparison as a pre-amp with my 2-channel setup or with harder to drive and more resolving planars.

Oct 14, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #1,650 of 2,819
I hope everyone is enjoying their mini's. All is quiet on this thread, which more than likely means everyone is busy listening to some good music - hopefully!! I'm listening to my mini tonight, and as always, it sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back