New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Oct 15, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #1,651 of 2,819
I hope everyone is enjoying their mini's. All is quiet on this thread, which more than likely means everyone is busy listening to some good music - hopefully!! I'm listening to my mini tonight, and as always, it sounds great!
Maybe but i notice a few one or two are popping up in the classifieds too

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #1,652 of 2,819
I hope everyone is enjoying their mini's. All is quiet on this thread, which more than likely means everyone is busy listening to some good music - hopefully!! I'm listening to my mini tonight, and as always, it sounds great!

September may have been the busiest month we’ve ever had! Things are taking a break in October, is what i’ve been hearing

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Oct 23, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #1,653 of 2,819
Big thanks to Justin for hooking it up with another faceplate for my Mini at a reasonable price. Love being able to swap it up. A truly excellent headphone amp with a very surprising pre performance as well. I've had a lot of amps over the years and chip amps as of late.. the Mini just blows them away. Build quality is on another level to match. Thanks again!

IMG_20201023_150634_135.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #1,654 of 2,819
Big thanks to Justin for hooking it up with another faceplate for my Mini at a reasonable price. Love being able to swap it up. A truly excellent headphone amp with a very surprising pre performance as well. I've had a lot of amps over the years and chip amps as of late.. the Mini just blows them away. Build quality is on another level to match. Thanks again!

IMG_20201023_150634_135.jpg
Nice! Is it easy to swap the faceplate yourself?

Oct 24, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #1,655 of 2,819
There's a screw on the knob, outer faceplate corners and 4 behind the XLR connector for rigidity. You just have to remove the top. Be careful of course and don't have the amp on/etc. All hex key.

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,657 of 2,819
I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the following cage fight: Chord Hugo 2 (functioning as both DAC and Amp) VS Qutest with the GS-X Mini.

I would be driving either the Verite Closed and/or the Stellia. Thoughts on the various combos of the above equipment would be very helpful.

I’m weighing different home/office/portable options.

Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Rich

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #1,658 of 2,819
I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the following cage fight: Chord Hugo 2 (functioning as both DAC and Amp) VS Qutest with the GS-X Mini.

I would be driving either the Verite Closed and/or the Stellia. Thoughts on the various combos of the above equipment would be very helpful.

Rich

Not sure if this applies to you but i run a Gsx-mini with my VC. However my dac is Topping d90. The mini pairs extremely well with the VC. Clean and crisp. wide soundstage with punchy, slamming bass. I cant think of a better SS amp to pair with the VC under 2k.

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #1,659 of 2,819
Ashamed to say I read the whole thread in one or two days - thinking of upgrading to the GS-X mini and retiring the THX 789. The 789 is a killer mid-range amp but I can't help but feel I am missing out on the best that solid state amps can do.

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #1,660 of 2,819
Ashamed to say I read the whole thread in one or two days - thinking of upgrading to the GS-X mini and retiring the THX 789. The 789 is a killer mid-range amp but I can't help but feel I am missing out on the best that solid state amps can do.
I think you would get much bigger improvements with better dac and especially better source.

Oct 28, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #1,661 of 2,819
Depends on the rest of your chain whether it is worth doing or not.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #1,662 of 2,819
Not sure if this applies to you but i run a Gsx-mini with my VC. However my dac is Topping d90. The mini pairs extremely well with the VC. Clean and crisp. wide soundstage with punchy, slamming bass. I cant think of a better SS amp to pair with the VC under 2k.
I'm also using the D90, it's an excellent match with the Mini.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #1,663 of 2,819
I own both the 789&Mini. The 789 is a fantastic amp for the money. The Mini is more engaging though IMO and sounds more lifelike. If you are looking for an upgrade, depending on your dac, the Mini is a great choice. It's also a great Pre. I use BAL in and both BAL&SE Pre outputs are active for monitors/woofers.

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,664 of 2,819

Rich
Richardhoos,

I haven't done a direct comparison, but I am currently going thru the same process as I recently got the Stellias.

My setup is Qutest -> GS-X Mini for home and Mojo for portable. I think I get 90 - 95% from the Mojo with the Stellias as I get from the Qutest / GS-X Mini and thinking about swapping them out for the Hugo 2.

I had a pair of Ether2s for about six months and wouldn't say the same for them. The GS-X mini is a rock star with planars. But, I think I am ready to make a long-term commitment to the Stellias.

The big advantage of the Qutest / GS-X Mini is flexibility. I think anything you plug into them will sound great.

If you are leaning toward the Qutest / GS-X Mini let me know as I may be putting them both up for sale shortly.

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #1,665 of 2,819
I'm also using the D90, it's an excellent match with the Mini.
I was thinking of getting the D90, ended up getting the Soekris 1421 R2R DAC. At one point was considering getting both of them, how silly that would have been. More than happy with the Soekris as my DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back