New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Sep 23, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #1,622 of 2,819
Yes, I can't stress enough how much of a difference the GS-X Mini has made in my chain. It's paired best with a very fast/clean DAC and fast/clean headphone. The sound is incredible, non fatiguing treble and a very natural and realistic presentation.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #1,623 of 2,819
Yes, I can't stress enough how much of a difference the GS-X Mini has made in my chain. It's paired best with a very fast/clean DAC and fast/clean headphone. The sound is incredible, non fatiguing treble and a very natural and realistic presentation.

Thats good to know because I am awaiting the arrival of my unit. I am replacing a Monolith THX 887 amp which sounded kinda lifeless with my ZMF auteur and Verite Closed. I hope my investment is well worth it.....

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #1,624 of 2,819
Thats good to know because I am awaiting the arrival of my unit. I am replacing a Monolith THX 887 amp which sounded kinda lifeless with my ZMF auteur and Verite Closed. I hope my investment is well worth it.....
It was. Clean power galore, minus the lifelessness.

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #1,625 of 2,819
I found the THX had a little better extension at both ends and was slightly faster, at the significant cost of being sharp and lifeless. It was nice to listen to...for about half a song depending on DAC pairing.. The Mini sounds better to me (and more lifelike) and I can listen for hours. Bass is more textured, midrange is engaging, natural and treble is detailed but not sharp or gritty. My ears are much happier.

I also highly recommend getting an Aircom cooler. I use the Aircom S6 Rear Exhaust for mine and the GS-X Mini stays cool because of it.

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #1,626 of 2,819
Just received my Gsx-mini today. Been listening to it with my Verite C and so far its been impressive. It sounds more fuller and richer than the (now replaced) THX 887.

However, I do hear a very (i mean very) faint static/hum when in high gain and volume at 11 o clock. When i flip the switch to low gain, its dead silent. Is this normal? Should i play my ZMFs using the low or high gain? Any info would be appreciated

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #1,627 of 2,819
Just received my Gsx-mini today. Been listening to it with my Verite C and so far its been impressive. It sounds more fuller and richer than the (now replaced) THX 887.

However, I do hear a very (i mean very) faint static/hum when in high gain and volume at 11 o clock. When i flip the switch to low gain, its dead silent. Is this normal? Should i play my ZMFs using the low or high gain? Any info would be appreciated

Have you tried other headphones? Try with no dac connected as well.

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #1,628 of 2,819
Yes, ive tried all the combination. There is always a very faint, yet audiible hum/static compared to low gain.

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #1,629 of 2,819
Interesting, Alps or DACT? I've got the DACT. Just tested using 660S and brought it to max with no DAC connected on high gain. No noise. I've got clean power though. Dac connected no sound playing was tested as well. With the DACT I can hear a bit of light pop between the clicks on the higher levels I'd never use, but only moving between steps and not while on a step. I also get some sound when switching gains but when I'm not fiddling with anything it is dead silent.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #1,630 of 2,819
Alps. I only hear hum on high,no matter high or low volume in high gain.

Btw I only hear this faint hum in high gain when there's nothing playing. Idk if that's normal or not.

Plz any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #1,631 of 2,819
THX amps are worst for ZMF. Take life out of these wonderful cans.ZMF cans like high OI

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #1,632 of 2,819
Alps. I only hear hum on high,no matter high or low volume in high gain.

Btw I only hear this faint hum in high gain when there's nothing playing. Idk if that's normal or not.

Plz any help would be appreciated
Maybe a ground loop? I see the Verite Closed are 300 ohm headphones. The high gain is what you should be aiming for. Noise is not normal in that situation. I would contact Justin at Headamp (Phone no. is on the website) in the morning and ask for advice.

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #1,633 of 2,819
Ground loops is the first thing i suspected. However, I had the amp connected to my furman power conditioner, to which all my other audio devices are also connected. Its just so weird because I initially hadnt heard it in high gain, because when the sound is on, its fine. However, only when i switched to low gain from high and vice versa, that i heard this faint static.

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #1,634 of 2,819
Ground loops is the first thing i suspected. However, I had the amp connected to my furman power conditioner, to which all my other audio devices are also connected. Its just so weird because I initially hadnt heard it in high gain, because when the sound is on, its fine. However, only when i switched to low gain from high and vice versa, that i heard this faint static.

It's pretty simple, the high gain is too much for your headphones, just use the low gain setting. If you pick up a pair of Susvara or Phi TC, then use the high gain...it will be dead silent with those headphones.

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #1,635 of 2,819
I have only used my ZMF 300 ohm verite and auteurs. Shouldnt they need to be run @ high gain mode? I just never had this issue with any other amps before. I ran my zmfs and focals trough all three gain modes in my THX 887 and never had any static or hums.

Plz dont get more wrong. the amp sounded perfect with all my headphones in low gain mode, but since i paid such a high premium for this device, i would like to make sure, that its working properly, otherwise i would apply for an exchange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back