New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Aug 31, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #736 of 2,818
Aug 31, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #737 of 2,818
@HeadAmpTeam @justin w.

Hi Justin,

Had a spec question on the mini. Is there a output power measurement in watts available for 300 ohms (HD800/HD800S). Noted 4w @50 ohms, and 2w @10 ohms within the owners guide.

Robert

Justin hasn't published an official spec at that impedance yet. There is no lack of power for high impedance cans though, and the slight warmth of the mini, relative to the GS-X mk2, makes it a great pairing for the HD800 series.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 31, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #739 of 2,818
Yes there is no issue driving high impedance headphones. Hd800 sounds impressive on the mini especially when you consider the the hd800 typically sounds best on tubes.

The mini, maybe more than any headphone amp I've ever owned, is very close to being headphone agnostic. Meaning that it seems to bring out the best in whatever headphones that you plug into it. This ability should not be underappreciated.

When using easy to drive dynamic headphones like 58x and audioquest Nighthawk carbon, the mini, on low gain, drives them effortlessly but never overpowers. Then with harder to drive cans like hd800 and Suszara, flip the gain switch and listen to the mini flex it's muscles and gracefully drive difficult headphones. The mini never seems to struggle on either front.

I have not been able to spend any time with sensitive iems. But I should be able to do this next week. If the mini can pull this off it would be the first amp that I have come across that not only can offer this kind of versatility but can do it with aplomb. That would be quite an accomplishment. A true do anything headamp.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #740 of 2,818
Yes there is no issue driving high impedance headphones. Hd800 sounds impressive on the mini especially when you consider the the hd800 typically sounds best on tubes.

The mini, maybe more than any headphone amp I've ever owned, is very close to being headphone agnostic. Meaning that it seems to bring out the best in whatever headphones that you plug into it. This ability should not be underappreciated.

When using easy to drive dynamic headphones like 58x and audioquest Nighthawk carbon, the mini, on low gain, drives them effortlessly but never overpowers. Then with harder to drive cans like hd800 and Suszara, flip the gain switch and listen the mini flex it's muscles and gracefully drive difficult headphones. The mini never seems to struggle on either front.

I have not been able to spend any time with sensitive iems. But I should be able to do this next week. If the mini can pull this off it would be the first amp that I have come across that not only can do this kind of versatility but can do it with aplomb. That would be quite an accomplishment. A true do anything headamp.

I totally concur with my HD800S...plenty of power on tap. Heck, if this amp can power my Phi TC without breaking a sweat, with the HD800S, it's not even getting off the couch.

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #741 of 2,818
@MacedonianHero
@MattTCG

Thanks for weighing in. Is there plenty of power single ended? Or is 4-pin XLR required? My other HAs don't have any issue with the HD800/HD800S either way, it was more a 'technical question of curiosity." The only Headphones I have which are troublesome are the HIFIMAN HE-6se. With a balanced cable, I'm confident the GSX-mini should power those just fine.

Looking forward the GSX-mini landing here next week. :smile_phones: Cheers, Robert

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #742 of 2,818
@MacedonianHero
@MattTCG

Thanks for weighing in. Is there plenty of power single ended? Or is 4-pin XLR required? My other HAs don't have any issue with the HD800/HD800S either way, it was more a 'technical question of curiosity." The only Headphones I have which are troublesome are the HIFIMAN HE-6se. With a balanced cable, I'm confident the GSX-mini should power those just fine.

Looking forward the GSX-mini landing here next week. :smile_phones: Cheers, Robert
You will enjoy the balanced out a good bit more. SE is a Gilmore Lite on steroid. This amp is Definitely worth it!

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #743 of 2,818
@MacedonianHero
@MattTCG

For hard to drive headphones you will definitely want to use the balanced output. Inversely for very efficient headphones and iems, the se output will give you more play on the knob without any loss of fidelity or finesse.

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #744 of 2,818
@MacedonianHero
@MattTCG

Single ended for the HD800S it is still plenty powerful, but I'd recommend a 4pin XLR just to get the most out of the amp. The GS_X Mini balanced should drive the HE-6se with authority!

Sep 1, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #745 of 2,818
I know there has been changes during the preproduction process of Mini with different boards. You could find different components when you compare images from page 1 in this forum with page 17. Which components have been changed?
I as many others I want to find more specifications regarding this unit. I also hope that there would be product images of Mini in the polished versions as well. I think it is difficult now to compare the blue colors for example.

I would like to know if HeadAmp is planning to find a distributor in EU soon? We now have to pay high taxes and customs fees here. I think it should be positive for both customers in Europe and the company. Many other high end
companies from the US have distribution here already and HeadAmp is often represented on exhibitions here!

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #747 of 2,818
Quite well! Should have it done in September! It is one killer amp that can literally drive anything I can throw at it. From my IEMs to my Phi TC (and everything in between)!
Is it possible for you to tell something about the sound characteristics in comparison between Mini and Schiit Jotunheim, balanced and SE input. I use Aeon Flow Open balanced and AKG 812.

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #748 of 2,818
I know there has been changes during the preproduction process of Mini with different boards. You could find different components when you compare images from page 1 in this forum with page 17. Which components have been changed?
I as many others I want to find more specifications regarding this unit. I also hope that there would be product images of Mini in the polished versions as well. I think it is difficult now to compare the blue colors for example.

I would like to know if HeadAmp is planning to find a distributor in EU soon? We now have to pay high taxes and customs fees here. I think it should be positive for both customers in Europe and the company. Many other high end
companies from the US have distribution here already and HeadAmp is often represented on exhibitions here!

The GS-X mini did go through several circuit board revisions prior to release, generally they were to fine-tune component placement and cooling. One item that was added were the relays to cut the headphone output when the pre-amp outputs are on.

We may take on European distribution at some point, but that doesn't seem likely right around the corner. The bottom line is that such a business model would mean higher prices across the board for our products.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Sep 1, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #749 of 2,818
Is it possible for you to tell something about the sound characteristics in comparison between Mini and Schiit Jotunheim, balanced and SE input. I use Aeon Flow Open balanced and AKG 812.
+1
I'd be very interested in reading impressions on the Jotunheim vs mini as well. I currently use a Jotunheim with the RME Dac and HD650 (and if I ever get it back from being recabled the PS1000e) I wonder just how much of an upgrade the mini would be from the Jotunheim. Not a lot of listening impressions out there for the mini yet.

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #750 of 2,818
What would be nice would be some actual customer contact with some rough idea of when up-coming shipments of mini amps might be ready. Repeated queries as to when / if have been met with silence. i.e. they could say "Well it will be another 6 months before we will be ready to ship out any more mini amps" or if someone pre-ordered in the last 3 months, they can expect to get an amp by 2Q 2020 etc. Just so we can know. Not asking a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back