New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Oct 5, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #916 of 2,818
I've been using the 205 to feed my H/A (sennheiser and HD800 phones) with Roon from my network, works really well. I've been thinking to switch to the Mini though and run the Utopia phones down stairs where the home theater is. Yes it's a shame Oppo quit making disc drives, cost me twice retail to get a 205. But it goes nice with the 103 and the 203.
Thanks for the reminder (tip). I’ve now pointed my upstairs desktop set up to my main 2 channel/home theater system downstairs (via Roon).
9D4A4FC7-5A5D-414C-9210-7B80F5CCFF43.jpeg

Oct 6, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #918 of 2,818
Oct 6, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #919 of 2,818
Oct 6, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #921 of 2,818
Took me a minute to realize that was a fan! I'm going to order one so I can do some measurements with and without it. How much airflow do you have behind the stack of gear?

Not much. Specs say "Exhaust: Rear | Airflow: 100 CFM | Noise: 20 dBA | Bearings: Dual Ball".
The fans will change speed depending on the measured temperature. I've listened for 3 hours now and the mini is much much cooler than without the fans. :D

Oct 6, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #922 of 2,818
Took me a minute to realize that was a fan! I'm going to order one so I can do some measurements with and without it. How much airflow do you have behind the stack of gear?

I have an open backed cabinet, and leave the front door open when using my Headphone amps. When using the speakers, I keep the door propped open a few of inches, and aIways have the door opened at least an inch or two even while the equipment is off (or idling). I have several T8 fans on my full sized components, and use single S1 and S2 blower fans too. These can be plugged into the T8s or run via their own wall warts.

Airflow is acceptable. I have about 18" behind the open cabinet, and plenty of high clearance above the cabinet. I have an A&S Encore on the top shelf with several inches clearance above the tubes. It doesn't get hot either. Use an S1 fan and S2 blower fan next to it.

The first two pictures are low speed S1 fans on the rear edge of the shelfs blowing across the back of the component. The third pic is a photo of the T8 and S6 fans. My cabinet rarely gets over 85F. Hope that helps. If you need additional let know.

https://www.acinfinity.com/componen...-fans/multifan-s1-quiet-usb-cooling-fan-80mm/

Attachments

• JiPmaZk7T2CSxB7eLN8FhQ.jpg
    JiPmaZk7T2CSxB7eLN8FhQ.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • dFlbMmt0Q5iwH5u78b+q3A.jpg
    dFlbMmt0Q5iwH5u78b+q3A.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • x06JlIoUSUefoPVlhKWkBA.jpg
    x06JlIoUSUefoPVlhKWkBA.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #929 of 2,818
need bit of help to decide what to go next.

Currently using only Hugo2 with ether2

Not sure if its a good idea to go hugott2(sell Hugo2) or just get a gsx mini to power up Hugo2. Neither gsxmini or tt2 is available for audition where i live.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #930 of 2,818
I'm going to go back on my earlier (somewhat snotty) comments about stacking the cooling fan with the mini. In fact I'm going to recommend the unit from AC Infinity. The model I bought is the s7. The difference in the temperature of the amp is significant. I'm measuring a difference of approximately 23 degrees cooler with running the s7 in it's slowest mode.

In the lowest and most quite mode, the s7 is essentially inaudible. Even with a quite room, I have to lean with about 1 foot or less from the unit to hear that it running. I have not noticed any issues with noise bleeding into the music at all. The mini run very warm. When I was going to be away from home for any length of time, I would usually turn off the mini. But now with the mini running at a temp just barely over room temperature, I don't feel hesitate about running the amp 24/7.

For a shocking $49 shipped for a cooling unit that is near silent with a quality build quality AND sits almost perfectly atop the mini, I have to give it a high recommendation. (it does hang over the edge of the amp about 1/4 inch on each side)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back