New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Oct 8, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #931 of 2,814
Awesome Matt! I may need to get one for my ECP L3.

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #933 of 2,814
How much hotter is the Mini compared to other class A SS amps and how much more breathing space it needs?

Breathing room required by the manufacturer is at least two inches. I don't have my amp in a rack, so it doesn't matter so much in my case. This is a remarkable little device.

I suggest the top exhaust for those who have the amp on the desk. The s6 is rear exhaust for those looking to exhaust hot air out of the back of a cabinet.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #934 of 2,814
Breathing room required by the manufacturer is at least two inches. I don't have my amp in a rack, so it doesn't matter so much in my case. This is a remarkable little device.
Any comparisons to Taurus MKII, Violectric V281, GSXMKII, Bryston BHA1 would be much appreciated.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #936 of 2,814
@justin w. One question regarding the use of the cooling fan. Is there any potential problems with keeping a lower temp to the mini. I assume no, but I thought it would be safe to ask. This cooling fan has an option to be triggered on at 88 degrees. Given the current ambient temperature in my room, this equates to five minutes on and five off more or less. Alternately you can set the unit to continuously at it's lowest setting. This keeps the mini almost shocking cool, just above room temp by about five degrees.

Which of these settings is best case for the mini?

Oct 10, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #937 of 2,814
Where I can see the output impedance of the mini? How much volts I have to send from my dac to get optimal to gsx mini? Im asking because I can set this in the rme adi 2 dac.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #938 of 2,814
Oct 15, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #939 of 2,814
In case anyone is interested, here is my GS-X mini review:

https://www.headphone.guru/the-head...-amplifier-incredible-transparency-and-drive/

In short, I loved it! Excellent drive, dynamics and transparency...everything we've come to expect from HeadAmp!

Nice write-up. I really am enjoying mine. I also like it with the HD800s. It really does have lots of oomph....Runs my power hungry HiFiMan HE-6se with no problem. I have mostly been using this amp with balanced cables. I use my tubed Amps and Sound Kenzie Encore on the headphones with single ended ones.

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #940 of 2,814
In case anyone is interested, here is my GS-X mini review:

https://www.headphone.guru/the-head...-amplifier-incredible-transparency-and-drive/

In short, I loved it! Excellent drive, dynamics and transparency...everything we've come to expect from HeadAmp!
Great write up. I have got two thoughts.
1, It would have been nice to read more comparisons to other amplifiers. It is nice you compared the Mini mostly to the GSXMKII, but you only mention the HPA4 in one sentence.
2, To my experience good DACs improve the sound a lot too. Using the DAVE for the review must have lifted the overall experience to another level. I wonder how big the difference would be with a Qutest for example.

One more thought, I found the space for text on your website quite narrow. To me it would be easier to read if it was wider.
Otherwise great job, thanks! I am looking forward to your thoughts on the RAD0.

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #941 of 2,814
To my experience good DACs improve the sound a lot too. Using the DAVE for the review must have lifted the overall experience to another level. I wonder how big the difference would be with a Qutest for example.

I don't have a DAVE for comparison, but since pairing the GS-X mini with a Chord Qutest, I am simply stunned everytime I listen to this combo with the Meze Empy's.

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #942 of 2,814
I know. I also loved the Empy out of my Qutest+Taurus MKII but upgrading to the TT2 is just a whole next level.
That's why I was wondering how much the Dave contributed to the overall experience of the reviewer.

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #943 of 2,814
Great write up. I have got two thoughts.
1, It would have been nice to read more comparisons to other amplifiers. It is nice you compared the Mini mostly to the GSXMKII, but you only mention the HPA4 in one sentence.
2, To my experience good DACs improve the sound a lot too. Using the DAVE for the review must have lifted the overall experience to another level. I wonder how big the difference would be with a Qutest for example.

One more thought, I found the space for text on your website quite narrow. To me it would be easier to read if it was wider.
Otherwise great job, thanks! I am looking forward to your thoughts on the RAD0.

Actually I find great DACs a better test as some amplifiers can’t keep up with them and lose out on their transparency. That said, the GS-X mini kept up with the DAVE and that’s saying a whole lot!

Oct 17, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #945 of 2,814

Users who are viewing this thread

Back