New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #901 of 2,819
I received mine yesterday after 9 weeks' waiting. The initial listen was good. I compared it with my beloved SPL Phonitor and found the sound of gsx mini is more spatial and has more details.

The only concern is that the gsx mini is quite "warm" when in use. I like stacking my audio rig on my desk and am worrying about the heat dissipation.

@justin w.

Would you recommend stacking the gsx mini with other equipment when it is in use?

AcInfinity makes a component small fan which will work for this. They are very quiet and only activate in response to heat.
https://www.acinfinity.com/componen...ponent-cooling-blower-system-rear-exhaust-12/

Attachments

• P5EqkZuvQI2Z4jKK5qEHjA.jpg
    P5EqkZuvQI2Z4jKK5qEHjA.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #903 of 2,819
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #905 of 2,819
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #906 of 2,819
Why not stack the mini above another unit which is not very hot. Justin also has told me that there are three holes in the bottom of the mini. There you could use screws and use three higher feet to make a longer distance to the unit in bottom. How hot is the mini from bottom? Now I have my Jotunheim stacked above my TEAC dac with no problems.

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #907 of 2,819
AcInfinity is a great company. 2 year warranty, and easy to work with. I have several T8 smart fans (full size), the 12" wide S6 (pictured) and some small single USB fans. You can buy direct or via amazon.com

Heat kills equipment, so I try to keep my cabinet cool.

Just ordered from Amazon. Free 1-day shipping in California. Will get it by tomorrow.

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #909 of 2,819
Nice and creative solution guys.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #910 of 2,819
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #912 of 2,819
First listen: I fed it with a Hiby R6 Pro DAP. HP outputs sound distinct; early call...my preference is seemingly leaning towards the traditional balanced output. I cannot conclude that it’s ‘better’ but rather different. The single ended (balanced) output sounds laidback in comparison to the forward signature of the traditional balanced output. I hear the benefit of having both options. Balanced sounds like orchestral seating while the single ended sounds like dress circle seating. Both are great...just different in proximity to the music stage. Each setting will provide a distinct benefit in sound quality...dependent on the individual preference of the listener. The gain switch is interesting (unique) in that either setting seems to work well with my cans (hi or lo gain)...similar to the (2) HP outputs..lo gain is laid back & hi gain is forward. This is literally what one should expect from a gain switch option but often not experienced or achieved with some gear that I’ve owned. Each setting sounds linear; meaning...I didn’t experience any immediate distortion when increasing the volume or switching between the (2) settings. This held true while using both low/high impedance cans (ZMF Aeolus & Sendyaudio Aiva). I didn’t try my Campfire Comet IEM’s...I’ll have a go at it to determine compatibility or see if they play hiss free. No worries either way for me as I don’t use IEMs on a desktop amp.

I located the amp with my desktop set up (on a beneath-the-desk shelf space) but I will likely move it to my main rig at a later date. It’s too attractive to hide beneath a desk.

Moved it to my main rack...listening continues.
0CA38A79-2A6F-4B0D-BE7D-BD970D665C41.jpeg

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #914 of 2,819
Are you using that UDP-205 to feed the Mini?

Yes (XLR input); the Oppo App can be utilized to render tracks from an my ‘aged’ iTunes library. I also use an Airport Express to stream from network/mobile handset (RCA input into the mini). Shame both the Oppo player & AE base station are now discontinued products.

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #915 of 2,819
I've been using the 205 to feed my H/A (sennheiser and HD800 phones) with Roon from my network, works really well. I've been thinking to switch to the Mini though and run the Utopia phones down stairs where the home theater is. Yes it's a shame Oppo quit making disc drives, cost me twice retail to get a 205. But it goes nice with the 103 and the 203.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back